1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

win 7 self serve

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by philquad, Feb 19, 2022.

1. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

I have seen atms run on xp

2. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Most likely it's windows embedded.

https://www.onlogic.com/company/io-hub/windows-embedded-matter-now/

151528 likes this.
  3. Comrade VPZ

Comrade VPZ Member

I heard that the Sydney Trains overhead screens were running off a Commodore 64 not so long ago, any truth to this?

4. Impulse IX

Impulse IX Member

I used to install POS systems for supermarkets. Win7 Embedded was used because it was modern enough for networking and devices and light weight enough to work on lower spec machines which are prevalent as these machines are abused by staff blocking airflow and are a high dust environment. Device drivers for connecting to the scanner/scales, till, printer, eftpos etc all were rock solid under Windows 7, with scanner, scales, till and printer usually going through a middlware device manager called OPOS which is for managing POS hardware devices and makes writing POS software easier as you just talk to OPOS rather than through Windows.
    The other thing you will not generally see is that some of the devices require PoweredUSB ports. This makes installation and cable management easier as 12/24V is carried over the USB cable to the device, but means that you are very limited in the PC you can purchase, which are pretty much all specialized POS machines that they come in packages with touch screen, printer and till.

bym007 likes this.
  5. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

AFAIK they're XP.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes. Aside from security issues with older systems, as long as that windows system is still supported what does it matter. For the majority of users they are just using simple office apps and just don't need the latest and greatest.

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yeah I hear ya, and Windows 7 soft serve is nice and all but TBQH, I've got more of a penchant for Windows 11, it's just richer and creamier ya'know?
    QUWszr2vaQ3vqcVuEELsgm.jpg upload_2022-6-22_10-2-44.jpeg

philquad likes this.