win 98-xp era gaming

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by akromatic, Mar 22, 2019.

1. akromatic

akromatic Member

Hi guy, I'd like to put together a PC to re live the golden age/pre modern era gaming ie before steam became a thing. I might need some direction to make this happen. also this PC will be offline only

im not too sure what OS i should be using for this be it XP 32bit or win7/8 64bit with compatibility mode and hardware. win 8 would be nice as it has native ISO loader and not capped at 4GB ram.

I'm thinking about using a newish XP capable system rather then a P4 or core2 as I already have a i7 980 and 1366 mobo + ram and looking for GPU or similar era ie HD5870.

please share with me your wisdom

2. Camm

Camm Member

98 maximum driver capability is around Core 2 Quad, AGP video (AMD X1XXX or NVIDIA 6xxx), on something like a Asrock ConRoe865PE board. With hacking drivers, you could possibly get to PCI-E 9XXX Nvidia cards on a X48 chipset however.

XP you've got tonnes of options, and game compatibility will still be similar anyway so is likely the best idea.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Are third party boot loaders still a thing? I used to triple boot Win98SE, WinNT4 and Win2K, with a tool that would hide partitions from other OSes to keep them safe, and keep drive letters sane.

I reckon a DOS/98/2K/XP quad boot environment would be the ultimate retro PC gaming setup. You could probably share a storage volume between all of them if you were smart about it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    akromatic

akromatic Member

as long long as the game runs on said OS i dont mind what OS it is on. pretty much i just want to be able to play games from 95/98/xp rather then building a win98 era hardware PC

looking to play stuff from starcraft to command and conquer to diablo to age of empires to the last of XP days games. afaik my rampage 2 gene has XP 32bit drivers and i can just hunt down a HD5870 which also has XP drivers but having a more modern OS has its perks ie 64bit