Win XP Reinstall q.

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by digamma, Aug 15, 2002.

1. digamma

digamma Member

I have windows XP installed and all the progs setup just the way i like. The only problem is that windows is acting a little flakey. A random lockup here, a random reboot there. I DO NOT want to format and reinstall if i don't have to. Is it possible to just reinstall xp over the top of itself and retain the same setting? I don't mind downloading updates again, i just don't want it to reinitialise the registry. Does anyone know?

PS: the last time i tried this, the machine rebooted right in the middle of the setup and corrupted the install. lost the lot :)

2. Kow

Kow Member

if you backed up the registry just incase it didnt keep the settings you should be ok :)

just import the registry and it should work fine :)

3. EazyduzIt

EazyduzIt Member

Tried System Restore?

4. OP
    OP
    digamma

digamma Member

The system isn't stuffed. It is just being glitchy is all. I was just wondering if i were to reinstall windows doing an upgrade install (rather than a full install) would it (apart from hopefully fixing the problems) wipe the registry and make me have to reinstall all the programs again? There isn't anything to restore (afaik).

5. OP
    OP
    digamma

digamma Member

OK, i bit the bullet and reinstalled it all. If you do an UPGRADE install, it works out all schmick. All my settings and files are still ther and so far it seems better. Thanks all for ur advice.:cool: