[WIN10] Win10 1803 update broke name resolution

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by callan, May 31, 2018.

1. callan

callan Member

(note: not under a domain)
    Prior to 1803 my win10 I could both locate a Synology fileserver as a UNC address (\\servername) and DNS hostname - "ping servername". I suspect the removal of Windows homegroups in 1803 has broken this.

Since 1803 I can browse resources of these servers using UNC, but from a web browser or command prompt, addressing them by hostname fails: the name cannot be resolved.
    IE:
    Name Resolution.png

My Win7 and 8.1 machines still resolve the hostnames perfectly well: it's only the win10 boxes that have this problem/
    I can ping a windows PC via it's hostname, but no longer any of my fileservers.

Anyone have any ideas as to a way to fix this?

Callan

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

What happens if you try to use the IP address?

3. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

Works fine and I can log in and administer the server just like a bought one. responds to ping, too.

Callan

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah same here, have to use IP address to access my HTPC now instead of hostname
    from win 10 to win 10

5. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

6. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

SMB shares are working fine. Weirdly, though I just tried disabling SMB1 on the file server (leaving SMB2 & 3 available) and that borked the CIFS connections on my Win10 PC: I couldn't even re-attach to the server. So it looks like my Win10 PC is using SMB1 for it's networking - hardly an acceptable state of affairs..... I'll experiment further in the next day or so on another server. (don't want to mess about with our main one until I've hammered all of this down flat...)

Callan

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

One of their recent builds has stopped me turning off UAC completely....ffs :rolleyes:

8. argent

argent Member

Still no bloody fix as of last night's patch :mad:

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've been waiting years for a dts fix in windows :lol:

10. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I had a similar problem the other day with my 2016 server, was Windows firewall. For some reason it'd changed zones.

Alternatively, if you wanted to be the dodgy guy just use the hosts file.

11. argent

argent Member

Strange, my shared folders only broke since 1803 was installed. File server just can't be access via \\servername - it can only access via direct IP.

12. Green Apple

Green Apple Member

I feel like 1803 broke network drives in so many ways its unusable.. Ended up reverting all the way back to 1709

13. deluxe

deluxe Member

Same thing happened to me accessing my NAS. You'll need to reenable SMB 1.0 from Windows Features

14. power

power Member

i would have thought i'd see this bug by now with all the 10 machines around the office but, nope.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Had a similar problem at work but only a select few people including myself have been using 1804 for a while now and its working fine. Maybe compare patch/update notes between both and see what it is the difference that allows proper name resolution to shares.

16. pinchies

pinchies Member

This happened to me too, on my home machines back in April. 1803 broke all my network sharing, name resolution went strange etc. I changed the name on one machine and I can still access it by the old name... super odd stuff. I honestly have tried everything googlefu suggested but still had no luck fixing things – so I'm just accessing shares via IP address now... :tired: feeling very noobish.

17. OP
    OP
    callan

callan Member

I've bodgied it up by putting entries in hosts... No other fix..
    pretty average TBH.

Callan

pinchies likes this.
  18. argent

argent Member

I did.. no dice. Also a number of manual start services too.. still no dice.

Found out you don't need to access network drives by ip... you can simply go xxxxx.local where xxxxx is your server name.

pinchies likes this.
  19. Saiyan_Overlord

Saiyan_Overlord Member

Might be a bit late to this thread, but this was my experience with this issue.

We had a few clients at work suffering from this issue pop up over the last few months

The fix in the few cases I dealt with concerning MYOB was to add the IP and the hostname of their server to the hosts file on their client PCs

This stopped MYOB AO from throwing up errors saying it didn't know the path of the company file on a network drive (despite being able to browse their fine before adding the host entry)

Hopefully fixes your issue, give it a shot :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018