1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED Win7 crashes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Anubis_rs, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Anubis_rs

Anubis_rs Member

Was a Black Hole & Seussville, now The Sticks.
    Hi All,

My pc started crashing yesterday, it's bringing up a blue screen saying it's doing a memory dump then restarts. I haven't installed anything new or attached anything new. i was sorting through files when it happened first and since it has happened when i've tried to defrag the primary drive and run a couple of games. I've also left it sitting after a reboot doing nothing over night and it crashed at some point.

My primary is a SSD that i've been using for about 3 years and i've heard they can begin to fail after some time.

Any ideas,

Thanks

Also i forgot to add i shut it down to do a scan of the primary and it sat for about an hour on the shutdown screen before i killed it, it also sat on the welcoming screen for a while before i killed it again and it has crashed before it got to the login screen.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

Turn off the restarting first.
    Hold Win key & hit 'Pause/Break' -> 'Advanced System Settings' -> 'Advanced' tab -> 'Startup and Recovery' settings -> uncheck 'Automatically Restart'.
    That will give you time to take a photo of the bluescreen so you can google the error code.

I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions about the SSD - yes they eventually wear out but it takes a lot of R/W cycles to get there. I'm still using one that's ~7-8 years old and has been used for a bunch of movie editing - it's fine.

Turn off reboots, grab the error code, and go from there.

3. OP
    OP
    Anubis_rs

Anubis_rs Member

Was a Black Hole & Seussville, now The Sticks.
    Thanks, looks like it may have been the ram. Tried each stick on its own and only one crashed so fingers crossed thats the problem.

I'll still attached a pic of the dump screen incase anyone else has this problem and is not sure.

Thanks again.

Click to view full size!