Win7 Graphics Driver for Dell XPSM1210?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by josh81, Aug 2, 2011.

1. josh81

josh81 Member

I've installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my Dell XPS M1210, but i can't get the graphics driver to work. I'm stuck with 1024x768 resolution, and can't get my Nvidia 7400 GeForce Go 256mb turbocache graphics card to work.

I've tried the driver from:-
    - Windows update.
    - the Dell website.
    - the Nvidia website.
    - this method that worked for a guy using a Sony Vaio with the same GPU
    http://zubair.posterous.com/nvidia-geforce-go-7400-graphics-for-windows-7

Nothing works. It says it's successfully installed, and i reboot the computer, but i can't change the resolution, and the graphics card in Device Manager still has the [​IMG] symbol next to it. And device status says:
    "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Who has this laptop, and how can i get the GPU card to work properly with Win7?? Help please.:upset:

I thought that this post was better suited to Portable & Small Form Factor, cause it's a pretty niche Windows 7 problem.

2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

3. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

*sigh*... some people.

Go to My Computer, Right click, click Manage. Then when Computer Management pops up, click on Device Manager on the left. Find the device that's having daddy driver issues. Right click on it and click Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on the drop down box, select Hardware IDs.

Put the Vendor ID and/or the Device ID into PCI Database, go to a site it links, then download the driver.

5. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

Thanks for further help mate.

I'm not familiar with "Manage", i usually just right click My Computer, select Properties, then select Device Manager from there. Wasn't sure what you were talking about.

I got the hardware id's.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&SUBSYS_01D71028&REV_A1
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&SUBSYS_01D71028
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&CC_0300

I entered them into the PCI database, nothing comes up until i search for 10DE, which gives me Nvidia (no shit).
    And then i tried the device id of 01D8, which showed me "GeForce Go 7400" which i already knew (that's what i posted in my 2nd post).

Not sure what i'm suppose to be using to search on drivers site, i assume it's 0x01D8.

But PCI Database only links to one driver site, on their main page. And it's some software called DriverAgent. Not sure what that is, looks like i have to pay for the software.

:Paranoid:

I don't really get what the purpose of PCI Database was, i entered in the device id of 01D8, and it came back to me saying that the device id is 0x01D8. I already know it's a Nvidia GeForce Go 7400. :confused:

I've tried the following driver files from various places, and none work:
    - R188776
    - R180919
    - R180799
    - R151795
    - 179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_beta
    - 179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_beta

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  6. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

I have an M1210 running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I downloaded the graphics driver from the Dell website and it's working fine.

Why isn't it working for you?

7. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

I updated my BIOS. Then ran the driver from the Dell website; Windows Vista 32-bit (R180799).
    When i try to run the driver installer, it comes up with an error saying; this driver is designed for a 32-bit OS only.
    It doesn't work.

Kevlar, you're running 64-bit? How can mine not work, just because it's Home Premium, surely not.

9. tojara69

tojara69 Member

Uh, why are you trying to install a 32bit Driver on a 64Bit OS?

10. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

I am using BIOS revision A07.

Dell driver R180799 is working fine for me.

Device manager reports that the driver version is 7.15.11.7967 and is provided by nVidia.

11. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

Because that's the only one that's on the Dell website. Kevlar said he had the driver working, the one from the dell site.

Surely it can't just be a bios issue, and it only works with A07, but not A08 or A03. Arrrggghh, this sucks. It's destined to not work no matter what.

12. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

You know what, I have the Dell drivers on my HDD, but now I can't remember if it is those that are installed. :tongue:

I'll have to have a closer look at home this evening.

13. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

Kevlar, you mentioned that your device manager reports that the driver installed is 7.15.11.7967. I've installed this one before, and it's from the Windows Update. It doesn't work for me.

NVIDIA GeForce Go Drivers, not work.

1. 8.17.11.9621

2. R180799: Will not install, cause it's for 32-bit

3. R180919: Will only install on Windows XP or 2000

4. Windows Update Version: 7.15.11.7967 - 6/3/2009

plus others

14. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

2 options from here I'd say mate;
    1. Contact Dell, get them to either email you a link to a downloadable driver that "might" work.
    2. Log a warranty if you have any left. Broadly it could be Motherboard, GPU, OS. Not so broad, GPU.

15. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

It's working all of a sudden!

I haven't done anything about it for a few weeks, got fed up.

I just restarted my laptop because my wifi was working, and when it turned back on, the resolution was 1280x800 as it should be. I didn't do anything, it just decided to "kick in" and start working.
    Thbe display adapter in screen resolution settings says "Mobile PC Adapter", nothing referencing Nvidia.

I went into Device Manager, and the Nvidia no longer has the [​IMG] symbol next to it, and in the properties it tells me that this device is working properly.
    It's the following driver:
    7.15.11.7968 - 11/03/2009

Who knows, it may revert back to being screwed after i turn the laptop off. Will report back.

I don't recall doing any windows updates recently.

16. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

It's reverted back to "Default Monitor" with low res. Nvidia device has the yellow triangle symbol next to it again.
    Why is this? How can it be working all of a sudden, and then revert back?

17. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

nvidia graphics with that yellow triangle mostly means bad news m8,, i reckon your graphics chip is stuffing up and you need it looked at.

the dell xps 1730m as an example, which had massive nvidia graphics overheating problems, also showed the same yellow warning icon in device manager when the either one, or both the cards were stuffed.

on a side note, if you do a custom install of win 7 on that laptop, all your drivers for your laptop will be installed during setup, and your not meant to install any drivers for your graphics chip that are not supported by your particular laptop motherboard, because there is a very good possibility they will not work or if they do, you may have glitches with the graphics every now and then with driver dropouts.

your only meant to use those drivers that have been tested and are supported by dell.

in your device manager, right click the graphics adaptor and click "UPDATE DRIVER" and be sure your on the internet and select to browse your pc and the internet, and see if it comes up with anything again.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

EDIT: sorry i just saw the reference to the "error code 43" that your getting.

the error code 43 can refer to different things such as grpahics, Usb and other hardware issues, either driver problems, or in some cases hardware failure (which i mentioned further up my post)

in your case either the correct driver is missing, corrupt or outdated, so Windows has problems communicating with the device, or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced (again as i suggested may be your problem)

afterall your running an nvidia 7400 go graphics chip and im surprised it hasnt bombed out before now.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  18. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

+1 (I'm doing exactly the same)
    Dell drivers work fine.
    Sounds like it could be a hardware fault.

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

good for you and the other guy for using the dell driver, which is the only driver that should be used, as its the only driver tried and tested fully for that graphics chip on that laptop.

in the screenshot in my last post you see my qosmio laptop device manager showing an nvidia GTS-250 graphics card, and i can only use 1 of 3 drivers for this laptop which are supported, if i use any newer driver i get a driver dropout and my laptop screen wont wake if the laptop goes into sleep mode, it stays black unless i reboot it.

if he cant get a driver installed by using the method i posted above (getting it from windows) or getting the official dell driver, then the graphics is most likely stuffed, because there is a driver in windows 7 for that chip, and as he said already, he did get the graphics working for a while by doing nothing, then it stuffed up again, meaning its a faulty chip.

also, it is an XPS from the reknown generation of XPS laptops that used nvidia graphics and were very well know for screwing up with graphics heat issues, so im not surprised if its stuffed by now.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  20. OP
    OP
    josh81

josh81 Member

Thanks guys, that's good news and bad news. Good because now i have a diagnosis of the problem.
    Bad news, PC is stuffed.

Can i get a replacment graphics car, or do i need to bye a new laptop?