[Win7] Virtual print drivers deleted, unable to remove SW or reinstall

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Potplanty, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Hey all,

My company is having a weird issue right now. We have both XP and 7 machines currently deployed and just this morning across several sites we've had an issue where Epson receipt printers won't work on Win7 machines.

These sites are unrelated and the base hardware differs wildly so I can't see it being a driver issue. I can also see Windows updates haven't been installed in a week or so so I'm unsure if I can point the finger at them.

However, on to the issue, it appears that all the Epson virtual printer ports (ESDPRT001, ESDPRT002 etc) have been removed from these machines. When trying to uninstall the Epson Advanced Printer Driver 5 it will go part way through the process then show "Uninstallation failed. Close all applications and uninstall again from the beginning." The same message is shown when you try to install from the base package (just swap uninstall for install). I am unable to use the config utility to reinstall the printers using the USB auto setup function as it just fails (presumably due to the port issue). Disabling all Epson services and print spooler do nothing to resolve the uninstallation issue (all services are also starting fine).

Devices and Printers still show the printer under "Unspecified" and it's listed in devmgmt as its' proper name, albeit without a driver installed.

The only thing I found strange that may be related is that I couldn't install SQL Service Management Studio 2008 as whenever it would try installing it couldn't find the installation files that were unpacked mere minutes ago. All programs were run as admin and under an admin account too.

2. breech

breech Member

Im not qualified to make these calls anymore, but first thought would be antivirus (false positive = blocked/wiped drivers). Maybe if you have a machine you can mess with, try roll back using system restore (image the machine first)?

3. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Wish I could say it was AV but we have now had over 20 machines, some without any AV at all (don't ask, the guy before me had NFI) and they've all now corrupted randomly, within a 72 hour period. Seems like something inside the Epson software has gone kaput and died off on us. I've raised a ticket with Epson support though so we'll see what they say.

4. power

power Member

use print management to clean up all your drivers, but XP - man fuck that shit right off.

5. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Already tried that one too. Didn't change a thing and didn't allow the software to uninstall or reinstall (along with the virtual print ports associated with it).

6. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Have contacted Epson Australia as it seems to be a problem with their software.