Win98 directx.inf error

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Rubens, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Rubens

Rubens Member

I have done a fresh install of win98se on an old k7 slot A and have used the sp3.45 and hotfix packs from majorgeeks and I am getting a Advanced INF Install Error: could not locate INF File '\DirectX.Inf'.

Google has given me nothing, ive tried installing direct x again a few times, i've made sure I have the last release that supports win98se as well. I would rather not format again because that was a pain in the ass as I don't have a 98 disc or cd's to create another one.

I am currently downloading older version of directx 9.0c as I a thinking it could have something to do with the video card drivers being older then the version of direct x, honestly i've got no idea :(.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

Ended up running scanreg /restore in dos to get me back to a fresh instal and that sees to have gotten rid of the problem for now. I guess I just need to find out which version of dx9 stuffed me up when I re do the updates.

3. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I tried that unofficial SP the other day, apart from taking much longer to boot, I didn't notice any benefits.

I'll stick to just plain 98 SE, never had any issues.

I like to use DX7, a good fit for Windows 98 games.

4. OP
    OP
    Rubens

Rubens Member

It seems to be the directx installer in the hotfix options update that is broken I guess i'll avoid that like the plague then.

Edit, next problem lol you need to instal ie6 to install directc 9.0c, what the hell microsoft :(.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  5. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member