[WIN10] Windows 10 - Everything you need to know

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Revenger, Aug 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Revenger

Revenger Member

Please DO NOT reply to this thread unless you have a proper guide to share, if not your post will be deleted or moved out of this thread.

This is so we can focus for now on expanding and properly organising this thread with relevant information, various guides and tutorials and other stuff that can be copied/made in this thread for ALL versions of Windows to be the mega helpful how-to thread.

Important Thread Information
    This post to start is about Windows 10 but later will be revised to be about all Windows on common info and links if the demand requires it.
    Very helpful windows guides for all Windows aspects that members create can be moved / reposted and preserved and linked in this thread so the info burred and lost.

If you see a good thread on OCAU or elsewhere on the internet ask to get it listed in the sections below.

Various Good Links

Windows 10 specific posts in this thread
    Windows 10 helpful threads and posts
    Other Useful Information

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

What is Windows 10

3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Official Windows 10 FAQ's (The important bits. for more info read the FAQ's.)

Rewritten In parts for OCAU, the specific guides and information etc are in the quotes below this

Official Activation FaQ's

Note: this next quote is presumed the official licensing information as most of the wording reads official but there are parts which don't read official with how they are worded such as expensive and cheaper terms etc which wouldn't be used that way due to standard business marketing policies (eg: never call something you make that costs more which is the exact same but different end user policy, 'expensive').
    This quote however is being copy/pasted around Microsoft answers to anyone that asks about how to transfer a retail license, even though it doesn't actually state how one transfers a license.

4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Windows 10 - FaQ Basics and Logic (The stuff not covered in the Official FaQ)

FAQ Basics and Logic (The stuff not covered in the Official FaQ)
    Info below has been sourced from around the net, Gabe Aul's Twitter responses, Microsoft support forums and general logic understanding of facts.
    Multiple types of posts like Insider FaQ's can be spit off if needed and demand is high enough.

Note: Before you read any of this, if you want to make a difference with how Windows is and your voice heard, Post and Upvote it in the Feedback App.
    Microsoft is open to listening to your views and if enough people want and post about something in the Feedback App, something will be done about it.
    Everything is up for review in the Feedback App, from more controls to turn off driver and other updates, more privacy controls, to even the colour shade of a icon.

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Windows 10 - OCAU Quickstart Install Guides

OCAU Quickstart Install Guide (Media Creator Tool)
    The Media Creator is the main method for downloading and upgrading windows as it'll create media you can use over multiple PC's.

(Will expand section below with a proper guide once given info is temporary with all the important information for now)

After media creator is finished either run setup on the flash drive or burn the ISO or use a tool to make a Flash drive.
    Below outlines how to do each of these steps.

Creating backup Media

OCAU Quickstart Upgrade Guide (Actual Install)

OCAU Quickstart Clean Install Guide (Actual Install)

Windows Setup final install Personalisation options (Should be the same between Upgrade and Clean Install)

6. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Cleaning old Windows data

Windows can have a lot of unused and unneeded data in the background taking up hard drive space.

There are a few reasons why one may want to clean the old unused Windows data these are listed the quote below.

Cleaning up unused files on the first page can gain a few gigabytes and the system files with Windows upgrade files can be anywhere up to 30GB of hard drive space that be freed up for the operating system.

Make sure you are absolutely sure before deciding on cleaning up system files.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Other - Placeholder and idea post
    Example of a non Windows 10 post
    This thread will link and be easy access to to guides, tips and information on all Windows platforms not just Windows 10.

Information will be linked at the top in a kind of index structure.

This is just a placeholder and to show you that this thread can be used eventually for more than just Windows 10 stuff but common questions in general for all versions.

8. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

While trying out Windows 10 upgrade on my notebook, I captured the process, and, using time laps, did a quick guide :)

Might be useful for the visual people / learners like me. I hope it's ok to do these, I usually only do game related videos, but I found this interesting enough.

This one shows you how to do an in-place upgrade with Media Creation Tool:

Once you've done an in-place upgrade, you can then do a clean installation:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  9. HSV

HSV Member

Those using Windows 10 with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials will find (at this stage) that the connector software will not download and run when you go to http:\\[servername]\connect\ - this is because Microsoft have not pushed the client connector out to Server R2 Essentials yet.

The connector software must be manually downloaded, and installed in order to connect. You can find the connector software here.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

A whole website dedicated to Win 10 with a wealth of information covering all of the topics associated with the OS:

Windows 10 Forums
    http://www.tenforums.com/

11. kesawi

kesawi Member

12. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

Heres a good site with scripts to clean up Windows 10. All the scripts are in plaintext so you can check them out first and edit them to your needs.

I've found the scripts to be pretty comprehensive, the ip/host one seems a bit lacking but theres scripts to clean up some of the privacy issues, remove one drive, bring back the old volume slider and remove rubbish apps that you can't normally remove using powershell. Theres even a script to fix your mouse so it's 1:1 and disables the mouse acceleration.

Really good 'program'. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Here's another good one. Also open source so you can change the scripts as you see fit to remove the BS in windows 10.
    https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  13. timace

timace Member

8GadgetPack - handy to bring back Win Vista/7's desktop gadgets

14. luke o

luke o Member

15. wwwww

wwwww Member

FFS, I disabled forced restarts after updates in GPEdit and I just got another 5 minutes until restart message.

I wrote a big long passage about how unreliable this makes Windows 10 but I didn't manage to post it before the restart, so basically Windows 10 is shit but I can't be bothered writing why again.

16. yanman

yanman Member

Did you try the task scheduler method? From memory you remove access to the restart function from something.

Mind you I could have sworn the machine still did a restart even after that.

17. wwwww

wwwww Member

Yeah I stopped it in services.msc, it still restarted though. :( Too late now anyway, this was more of a rant. Oops it was the wrong thread, this was meant to be in the other Windows 10 thread.

18. yanman

yanman Member

Nah that doesn't sound like the one I meant. I recall doing something in task scheduler, in an advanced menu where I had to find a task and remove access.

[edit] this one:
    https://techjourney.net/permanently...atic-restart-of-windows-update-in-windows-10/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  19. wwwww

wwwww Member

20. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Like to add that the techbench URLS are now dead and you need to go through the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 URL only

however if you use a user agent changer and change it to something that is non-windows like ubuntu it will give you the direct ISO download that we all prefer as the media creation tool is trash.