[WIN10] Windows 10 Free Upgrade: Will you or wont you?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by CSI Guy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ernie

ernie Member

I don't like this online account PIN caper.

Anyway to revert back to offline?

- Ernie.

2. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

From what I understand, once you go through the upgrade process your W7 key is converted into a W10 key. Its a one way process and theres no going back

3. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Settings > Account.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

They do. My wife has a local account and is playing x-box games. Yes, she has to sign into her account at x-box. No, it doesn't seen to affect anything else.

5. millsy

millsy Member

I did. No issues whatsoever, it asked if I wanted to login using a live account during setup, I said no, and all is well :thumbup:

This is also my experience. They say it's not recommended but it's not impossible.

6. davros123

davros123 Member

Downloaded the ISO and installed to my win 8.1 Surface 3 tablet with no issues.

Getting used to it, but seems slower than 8.1 and not really tailored to the surface. I think I prefer 8.1

7. shredder

shredder Member

I think I'll stick with Windows 7 Pro on my desktops. Can't see any relevant incentive to do the upgrade - my time spent, and for what? For my desktop usage:

* Cortana - useless for traditional desktop usage
    * Edge browser - a step backwards from a current evolved, extended browser setup
    * Touchscreen-related stuff - not relevant on traditional desktop
    * Incremental UI changes - nothing game-changing, certainly not worth upgrading an entire OS for
    * "App" related stuff - don't care, nothing important for desktop use exists in this form
    * Fixing things that sucked in Win8 - I don't use Win8, as it likewise offered nothing significant new for the desktop user

As they say, you get what you pay for, and in this case it seems to me to be a trade of nothing for nothing. For mobile and touchscreen users it would be a different story.

8. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

I've got a spare 8 OEM license I'll never use on my laptop that I've decided to upgrade. Won't be upgrading my 7 license because no media centre. :thumbdn:

EDIT: Wait, it ties your key to your hardware and won't ever activate on anything else? Fuck that, never using Windows 10. Upgrading means buying a new copy? How about eat a dick.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. FLB

FLB Member

If you upgrade retail you retain the same rights as retail being able to change all hardware etc, just need to do phone activation etc.

If its OEM then technically you can't change mobo even on windows 7/8 but people get around it.

10. japes

japes Member

Anyone confirm that? I've used a PID checker to pull the key off my home system for future use. Never had issues with an OEM Win7 Home Premium even with motherboard changes.

11. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Yep, people too quick to jump on the "fuck that, I'm not buying Windows 10" bandwagin without actually stopping to think about it.

Retail = retail.

And you're only having to do this to get your FREE upgrade. if you want a full retail copy of Windows 10 with it's own key, feel free to go right ahead and buy it when it's released any day now.

12. millsy

millsy Member

I'm surprised how many people are disappointed at no media centre. I always found it kludgy and slow, Kodi ftw :thumbup:

Agree with most of your points there shredder bar the edge stuff, I haven't used it yet but it seems quite nice.

On reflection although I consider myself a 'power user' I just don't care much anymore, all I want is a leaner and faster OS, and Win10 certainly seems to be that, though how much faster than 8 is a bit open to debate.

13. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Same here, clumsy, slow, outdated. It had some fans, but not many anymore.

14. trevor68

trevor68 Member

I still use it for LiveTV with Emby, works brilliantly. So looking around for options re LiveTV now, but nothing I have looked at is nearly as seamless.

Seems anything is going to involve mucking about with smart TV apps, whereas before we just watched everything via WMC.

Other Win10 upgrades all going smoothly except for OneDrive, what a cluster!

GamingPC is redownloading all 70gig even though it was there, and I used the same directory.

Tablet now refuses to allow OneDrive on the SDCard, so there is no way 70gig will fit on the 32gig SSD. Have had to mount the SDCard as a Folder on the C Drive for now as a workaround. :rolleyes:

15. Kow

Kow Member

My updated experience so far "Something happened".

16. Shepete

Shepete Member

Anyone able to link me to a site that explains how to get the tv side of things functioning in Kodi. In Australia.
    With media center you just click on it & it works.(Mostly) I have stuffed around with Kodi a couple of times & find it incredibly "user-unfriendly."

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

lol...from the upgrade or clean install?

18. Kow

Kow Member

Upgrade, trying to upgrade then if that ever happens clean install on new SSD

19. shredder

shredder Member

(For awhile at least; until further development) it can't equal, for example, a Chrome setup which one has customised with a personal set of extensions over time, and which syncs with your Android devices, just the way you (meaning I) like it. In such a circumstance a new, vanilla, no-extensions-possible, Windows-10-only browser environment will never cut it at this stage. Some aspects of the browser sound good, and it will be interesting to see where Microsoft takes it during further development.

20. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

This is pretty much my thoughts currently as well. I am running Win10 in a VM just so I can familiarise myself with the OS for support purposes in my line of work...but I have absolutely zero incentive to switch from Win7 on my home PC.

My video card is DX11 (and an older one at that) and everything is setup perfectly for what I do on it ... all the added crap listed above is simply bloatware to me.

If/when I buy or upgrade the PC...I'll probably think about upgrading to Win10 more seriously, but for the time being I'm sticking with W7