1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Free Upgrade: Will you or wont you?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by CSI Guy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Mr Henry

Mr Henry (Banned or Deleted)

Sucks for me. I knew it was too good to be true...free upgrade for a laptop. I wondered, how is an upgrade going to install smoothly over everything and still have all Windows 7 stuff working well?

It doesn't.

Start button doesn't even click.
    Can't find where Windows Update section is
    Can't access Settings App
    Can't click on wifi icon, sound, notifications or search
    Can't find how to roll back
    Can't change user account settings
    Can't add a user

Plus a host of other things

It's shit

My ASUS laptop worked like the machine it is all day every day since early 2012.

Now it can't even execute the most basic operations.

Thanks W10

2. millsy

millsy Member

Sounds like a pretty fucked install if you can't click on stuff, tried doing a recovery? You should have an option to reinstall without losing data :thumbup:

3. TaroT

TaroT Member

I had a similar thing on my desktop 2 reboots and it all went away
    updated the daughters laptop and it just worked, once the amd drivers for the graphics went in it is all good that's a basic dell though.

as for windows 7 after using 8.1 and now 10 for so long I find windows 7 clunky
    works fine does most stuff but in my experience more prone to foibles like networks dropped lockups etc.

it really is an either or thing though

4. Spork!

Spork! Member

Working well for me, so far.

5. Mr Henry

Mr Henry (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah maybe. It installed over the top of an existing Windows 7 OS. I knew it would have to end in tears.

I just ended up doing a factory reset of my laptop. Back to Windows 7.

6. millsy

millsy Member

Well there's always the option in the future to try again :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

I wonder how many people will end up doing the downgrade? I'm sure it wont reach Vista like proportions, but there do seem to be a few issues popping up.

8. Hater

Hater Member

HP DV6 (i5 sandy), Sony Viao E series (i5 sandy), MacBook Pro (i7 arrandale) and a Toshiba Satellite (i3 sandy) all upgraded from W7 > W10 over the top of existing W7 installs that are ages old and working 100% perfect. Sound on the Viao took a few reboots but it's all good now.

9. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

seems to be working ok on my asus 1215b netbook powering two displays with no issue at all.

11. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  12. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Yes.

10 char

13. GTR27

GTR27 Member

it's tried to upgrade my win 7 ultimate to 10 a few times, and failed each time and rolled back. I take this as a sign that I dont need it.

Maybe time to put some effort in getting something linux up.

14. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Well, back to windows 3.11 for me

15. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

I've just upgraded the last machine at my place, this machine had issues with the downloaded version through the GWX app

downloaded the iso creator from the MS website and upgraded that way, no probs at all, did the upgrade on the other 2 machines without issue

so i'd say download the media creator and upgrade that way as it seems to be more reliable, that and the fact that if the upgrade fails it doesn't delete what it's downlaoded like it did for me...

also I had a weird prob with my main PC in that avast had a very stern disagreement with windows 10, yet the same version works fine on my laptop, if you have probs with the start menu not working and things just playing up, uninstall your AV - i'm just using the built in one for now which is working fine

i'm hoping most of our clients take up the free offer, would be nice to get people off 7 and 8 and onto something much better

btw - all 3 upgrade I did were win7 64 bit, 2 copies of pro and 1 of home, want to give my work machine an upgrade but not brave enough yet lol

16. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

That's why I have a firewall app where I can control what servers other apps can access.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall

If there's a list of domains I can add to a hosts file to block Windows 10's spyware, I could add that to my router. Or even some iptables rules.
    Though I'd want to do both that and disable the spyware in the OS itself (two layers instead of one)

That wasn't the argument being made. He said it's stupid to use the "I have nothing to hide, therefore I have nothing to worry about" argument.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  17. Freebee

Freebee Member

I upgraded a few days back... its awesome and you should do the same....

now I'm gonna un-sub from this thread because its almost as bad as the r9 300 series discussion thread in terms of frequent email notifications

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Have to say this has been a very easy transitions. There's been a couple of speed humps but overall everything is working well, no problems encountered, the OS is zippy, it's stylish with just a couple of tweaks needed here and there....but overall I'm extremely happy with it and won't be going back to anything prior.

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Has anyone got a final size on the download? I seem to remember something spoken in this thread a week or so back of sizes between 3-5 gig (and some of those hadn't finished downloading) but then I stopped reading the thread.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think the iso was perhaps around 3.9Gig?

I had versions of stuff flying all around the place between two machines so it's hard to recall exactly.