[WIN10] Windows 10 Free Upgrade: Will you or wont you?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by CSI Guy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

all autopdates applied...

2. Smashwa

Smashwa Member

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Thanks must be semi random now another pc has the icon.

4. breech

breech Member

I've got a copy of W7pro that I haven't ever activated. Would I be able to get the upgrade option without going through the activation process with ms?

5. Ck21

Ck21 Member

I found that the task scheduler had it set to run every 24hrs @ 8pm starting a full day after it was installed.. I dont know if this is a hard-coded condition or set randomly for each machine..

Now ive got to run windows update on 2 laptops (w8.. need to update them to 8.1 somehow without a MSA) and 2 desktops (win7sp1) to install it also.. should be fun >.<

currently installing updates on my w8.1 laptop (over 2gb...) and the get w10 app update is one i had to manually select to install.. :confused:

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

probably this weekend :)

7. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

8. Nian

Nian Member

Actually, yes it does support NX. NX is short for No-eXecute, Intel calls it "Execute Disabled Bit"

http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

Execute Disable Bit ‡ Yes

Your system will love Windows 10. Just make sure your not using any old hardware with Vista drivers. I don't think it likes those... Won't install if it sees them. Working on a friends P45 system, wouldn't install or even let us reserve a copy, found out we had to swap an old PCI Gigabyte wifi B/G card with an almost identical D-Link wifi B/G card (same chip manufacturer), only difference is that D-Link supplied Windows 7 drivers. After doing that, Windows 10 was happy and installed.

9. OP
    OP
    CSI Guy

CSI Guy Member

My bad. I used an older version of CPU-Z. Latest version says I have it.

Anyway, I like Windows 7 as a OS for daily use. I tolerate Windows 8.1 on my new I5 laptop because I'm pretty sure a Asus Transformer Book Trio's switching software and drivers wouldn't work in windows 7, although to be honest I've used the android side of it more. And since ASUS stopped manufacturing the trio, I have no idea if they will provide windows 10 drivers for it etc.

My attitude will probably change in a year or 2, after Microsoft have either released a service pack or gone to windows 10.1 etc. Since Windows ME, I have never rushed into a new Windows OS.

Oh, but I definitely will not be taking up Microsoft's offer of a free copy.

10. Nian

Nian Member

Your loss. This is certainly not a Windows ME / Vista / 8, release. Windows 10 is like a Windows 98 / XP / 7, release. Ticks all the good boxes and runs like a dream.

I would cry if someone wasted a perfectly good key and didn't get Windows 10 with it.

11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Anecdotally everyone I know running the preview says it's good, no Vista/ME comparisons so far , that's good enough for me. Apparently the biggest hurdle is having to reinstall vmware workstation lol

12. Shepete

Shepete Member

I will probably refuse it, No media centre is a dealbreaker for me.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i would look for an alternative like kodi or something.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At least they've basically taken the advice and gone back to the good old start menu. I'm liking it so far, almost have it setup as per my previous OS's.

15. Freebee

Freebee Member

I'm probably going to move across as soon as it launches... Or maybe earlier (insider preview) and I'm guessing that I'll have no issues with x58, the only hardware I anticipate having an issue with is my sound blaster audigy, but that's in the secondary PC anyway... So it's not a big issue

16. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

But there are so many other program that offer the MC functions ....

17. Shepete

Shepete Member

None that I can find that are as user friendly & intuitive. I am open to suggestions though. I tried media portal & just found it too hard to get my head around. {I am getting old:)}

18. Kow

Kow Member

I want to clone my SSD (win7) to a larger SSD for the upgrade when available. What's the best way to do that?

19. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah I'm in the same boat but my boat includes only tv recording etc find something that does that and works as easy as media centre and I'm all good.

everything else works fine...installed 240 on a vhd and booted off it and it runs very nicely gaming is good browsing is good

20. kreegor

kreegor Member

Does anyone know if the Insider Preview (version 10074) that I have in my MSDN subscription is able to be upgraded to full version Windows 10 when it's released?

I'm currently running 8.1 and have reserved my copy but if I can run the Insider Preview now I might as well.