1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED Windows 10 Home reinstall

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Vo0do0, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

As part of the upgraded PC for my parents it will involve a reinstall of windows 10 home.
    He currently is running windows 10 home which was installed as the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 and is 32bit.

I want to move him over to Windows 10 64bit on a clean new hard drive.

what is the procedure regarding CDKey etc? i have the disk image of windows 10 64bit i obtained from MSoft that i can burn to DVD for installing. im just not sure about the CD key situation.

He has Original Windows 8.1 retail
    Is it going to ask me for a windows 10 key, his windows 8.1 key? no key?
    do i just boot from the W10 DVD like a normal OEM install ?
    i just want to get the facts before i start.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

After making sure that current 32-bit Windows 10 is activated, just install again and skip whenever they request the key.

It should be activated automatically by the time you install drivers and what not and have booted a few times.

3. OP
    OP
    Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

So windows 10 32 bit is activated, and has been for a few weeks now.
    So after buying a new hard drive and burning the "64bit" disk image i should be able to boot from it and skip the activation procedure?
    i'm struggling to see how it would work?
    how does the software know it legit from a previous install ?

any help appreciated, i dont want to undertake this if its going to be an "all weekend bullshit google-fest trying to rectify the problem" only to end up running a cracked version or something to get them going again temporarily./

cheers

Mark.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  4. Copie

Copie Member

Can confirm, worked this way for me this afternoon.

5. OP
    OP
    Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

even if the previous activated copy was 32 bit and changing over to 64bit ?
    from what ive read the activation process is based on existing hardware ID's . .

I'm about to change ALL of the hardware.. how does it know i'm still the same person?

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

yes. just make sure you have activated your 32 bit and it will carry over to the 64 bit

7. OP
    OP
    Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

A little more googling seems to indicate that this activation process mentioned above is based on hardware IDs from the previous install, the new install will be based on all new hardware therefor differing IDs

will this change anything ?

it also mentions you can log into your Msoft account and the activation process will occur, i dont recall using any microsoft account to install/upgrade to windows 10

8. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Yes.

Windows product keys have never been 32/64-bit specific. Upon activation, your system hardware info gets saved on Microsoft activation server. Subsequent activations search for the previously recorded ID that corresponds to your hardware setup/configuration.

Yes, unless there has been a substantial change in hardware (eg. different motherboard).

By grabbing your balls and comparing the resulting squeal against the previously recorded.

If you change "ALL," you won't be able to activate as described in this thread. However, there are other ways if your computer is a Dell, Samsung, Lenovo, LG, or other mass-produced PC whose Windows activation involves looking up a manufacturer-specific code embedded in BIOS.

9. dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

Here's a good read about Windows 10 activation. He tries a couple of different methods:

10. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Just install Win8 64Bit, activate it and then do an upgrade to Win10. If you download the ISO from the WIn10 upgrade tool and then choose the "Don't keep anything" option for an almost clean install.https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

If you want it perfectly clean just install win10 from the ISO after activating the first Win10 install.

If you first build was a OEM copy of WIn8 you might have issues as Win8 is also linked to your hardware ID.

11. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

If the original window 8.1 was OEM then the windows 10 license will not be valid on a new motherboard. If the original windows 8.1 was retail then I think the easiest way is to install and activate 8.1 on new hardware and then use windows 10 ISO to upgrade.

12. OP
    OP
    Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

Yeah i have an original 64bit 8.1 disk OEM.
    I found out late last night the copy my father has is 8.1 retail. . he bought it from Officeworks.. it came with both 32bit and 64bit and states "full install" on the disks. so i will build the PC and install from his 8.1 disk. then upgrade it to 10.. best solution i can think of . .

thanks all for the help .

muchly appreciated

Mark