[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Tablet mode is grayed out. Still says "Tap to see what happens with this disc"

2. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

So I upgraded to W10 on the weekend. It's different from 8. I keep moving my mouse to the RHS of the screen to bring up the charms menu but there isn't one now :( That's gonna take some getting used to. Otherwise its running pretty smoothly

3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I think I owe ms some commission, am onto about my 5th job in relation to issues with the update.

Keep em coming :thumbup:

4. Foliage

Foliage Member

Yeah I never used the windows 8 start menu for that reason and installed an aftermarket start menu.

5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i found that i got used to it very quickly with 8.1.
    not the start screen with its tiles.
    i fucking hated that.
    i have it set to drop straight down to the apps list instead.

i found it to be not too dissimilar to clicking start-->all programs except i could see more of the apps listed on my screen instead of only being able to see half a dozen or so.

i wouldn't mind the option to re-enable that function in w10.

6. Ck21

Ck21 Member

so i was in the middle of a game, multiplayer game so no pause options, and windows pops up a overlay that takes away keyboard/mouse control from the game, and tells me updates are ready to be installed and i need to restart my pc.... NOT FUCKING COOL MS :thumbdn: or that i can reschedule them for later...

So i click reschedule, and i can clearly see im about to die in-game, screen goes black for about 5sec, desktop comes up with the settings app showing the scheldule, i quickly click back on the game, and 5sec later im back in to a dead corpse... :upset:

gonna stick in that SSD drive bay converter i got in january, put in my new kingston savage ssd thats been sitting on my desk for last 2months, install linux and see if i can get pci-e passthrough into a win7 KVM instance working.

Honestly who the fuck @ MS thought it would be a good idea to take control of the pc when the user is running a fullscreen 3d application for updates.. ask when the pc is idle ffs.

/end rant

7. millsy

millsy Member

Someone was asking how to return the fullscreen start menu, it's in the start menu options.

I prefer it, I use too many apps to pin to start, and the fullscreen menu is just about the right size for this task and is marginally quicker than searching for the application.

I'm starting to get the feeling for me at least though it's inferior to 8.1 on my machine for whatever reason performance wise, and I am contemplating downgrading again.

8. Imitation

Imitation Member

I've never seen a 'your computer is ready to update' message yet but my computer has been spontaneously rebooting daily. Numerous times it's rebooted to a "Windows is updating.." screen and I can't help but wonder what the fuck is going on.

(I think the reboots are either Win 10 or more likely the Nvidia drivers but it's been happening in and out of games)

9. Ck21

Ck21 Member

Which version you using? home/pro/eterprize/school?

Mine is Pro, which is suppose to be more control/choice over home which is apparantly none. Enterprize gets full control, but they dont offer enterprize to the public, not that it stop me switching over to linux and keeping windoze for a VM for when i want to game

10. bigdipper

bigdipper Member

One of my techs is in the same boat. He loved the charms and now "hates" Windows 10 as the charms are gone! :) Anyone know of a third party app to bring back the Charms?

11. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Anyone have trouble shutting down their pc after w10 upgrade? My sons computer restarts when you hit shutdown but if you keep using it after this event it will bsod soon after .... after that it restarts and its fine ...

:tired:

12. shirl

shirl Member

i upgraded my laptop as a test run for my pc,my lappy is so slow to star up,takes forever,everything takes for ever now,shutting down takes forever too,mmm its stating to piss me off click on something might as well go have a coffee so it can work out what it needs to do,atm im over it ill keep what files i need and reboot back to win7 pro again..

13. Domokun

Domokun Member

I apologise if this has been clarified earlier in the thread, but if I upgrade a retail Windows 7 Professional installation/license to a Windows 10 Professional installation/license, does it retain the ability to transfer the license to a different/new PC in the event of hardware failure (i.e. the main advantage of retail licenses over OEM licenses)? After some brief research, it appears that after upgrading, you aren't issued with a new license, and a digital signature (based on the existing PC hardware) is stored on the activation servers. So, the question becomes, if you aren't issued with a new key/license, how could you possibly perform a clean install on a different/new PC?

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

15. FLB

FLB Member

16. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Wonder how long before we have to wait for official AU cortana?

17. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

18. pantner

pantner Member

I completely agree with you, when in tablet mode (ie, on my Surface Pro) the current all apps view for the start menu is pitiful.

They left the Start Screen for tablet mode, why not the all apps view as well!?!?

EDIT - Also, talking about updates, anyone here remember Blaster and Sasser? Both exploits had updates/patches released before the actual virus/worm/Trojan/whatever was released. People who were up to date with their updates did not get infected.

ie, Automatic updates are a good thing. They protect your computer. Microsoft pay money to people to write said updates, why would they spend money they don't have to?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

No the clauses that are getting people are more likely to be for xbox one, but seeing it's the same agreement for all platforms now, there's nothing stopping them doing the same things in windows 10. Combine this with the fact that they are sending data back no matter what you set the pc to do and I don't think you can really argue that 'it's all ok'.

20. FLB

FLB Member

I'd like to see proof that they are sending a content listing of all local disks to a server. I'm calling b.s. on that. And his reliable source is a group running a bt tracker...

But it's guaranteed hits and revenue.