1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Will S

Will S Member

the core engine is basically the same and it just some of the stuff around the edges that is tweaked

the eset isssue is common ...its been happening for a while as a google has shown

and the machine is backed up...have found one program that wont work and thats ACTION ...wont even let me install it

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

now onto 3rd pc that did upgrade to 10 and failed and now drive is showing signs of failure..

Perhaps it awakens dormant bad sectors, or something more sinister :confused:

3. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

This, it gives the disk a real beating. I've seen a few disks cark out during the upgrade, mainly because they haven't been thrashed in a long time.

4. FLB

FLB Member

Seriously it's not just visual UI that's changed. These are beta/rc builds. Memory subsystem has been heavily modified for example, thats why chrome broke on the new builds at one point. They are not small tweaks.

Provide a link where these are small tweaks.

Here's an example of not a small tweak -

5. Foliage

Foliage Member

Because it is an upgrade it fills up all the small spare chunks on the drive, then deletes all the old files effectively writing to double the used space if you would like. This is a great stress test for an old hard drive.

6. Foliage

Foliage Member

7. Will S

Will S Member

heavily ???? what a load of rot ........

8. Linkin

Linkin Member

Well, my experience with Win 10 is finished. I was still running 9926 preview, and got notices that the build will expire 1st october and stop booting on the 10th.

Backed up my shit, secure erased SSD, installed Win 7 again.

Windows 7, the new Windows XP :weirdo:

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

ahh k makes sense..

Is making me lots of $ so all good :D

10. FLB

FLB Member

So where are your links...

What a load of rot isn't conclusive evidence I'm wrong...

Did you check out the video that was linked in a post below mine?

11. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Good excuse to upgrade to a speedy SSD :thumbup:

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

true, but most customers just want the cheapest option.

13. pantner

pantner Member

14. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

My statistics say otherwise... 95% of the boot disks I replace end up with SSDs. Put two identical laptops together, one with a HDD and one with an SSD. Boot them both up and ask them again if they still want a HDD. Don't forget to mention that they're shockproof as well, which helps reliability.

They'll want the SSD. 120-240GB is fine for 90% of people. Can always add a secondary HDD in there if they want storage.

15. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

The cheaper prices definitely help, but I wouldn't place it even close to 90% yet. Maybe around 30% of laptop drive replacements I do are SSD. And believe me I push the SSD.

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I must just be very good at it then :lol: at least for laptops these days it's a no-brainer. If people are worried about storage I just use an ODD to SATA 2.5" caddy and throw a 1TB HDD in there, and then convert their old, often unused DVD drives to an external.

17. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I'm about the same, it's much easier with PC's as you can add additional storage via mechanicals but 500gig ssd still little exxy for my average customer. As prices come down itl go up I guess.

18. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

500GB SSD? What for? In most laptops I just use a 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD with an ODD to 2.5" caddy, like mentioned before. It allows for internal automatic backups to protect against boot disk and OS failure as well.

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

ah yeah didnt really think of that, how does the ODD to 2.5" go on laptops, wont it be a gaping hole for some?

20. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Not at all, you swap off the original cover for the DVD drive. You can't tell the difference. Sometimes my customers will call me 6 months down the track and ask me why they can't open the DVD drive to install their new printer, then I remind them that there isn't one in their laptop anymore and their old DVD drive and USB adapter is in their laptop bag :p lets face it, the ODD is going the way of the floppy disk.

Give it a go. I always have a tonne of 12.7mm and 9.5mm SATA ODD converters in stock, and the odd IDE to SATA adapter for old iMacs and such (yes this works with OSX things too). I go through heaps of them and it's easily the best way to get a mix of performance and storage at a decent price (with some sort of dummy-proof backup system).

ANYWAY.

We've gone off topic. How are people going with PVR systems on Windows 10? Been a Kodi convert for ages with WMC PVR backend but that's not possible anymore. Thinking mediaportal vs NextPVR. Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015