1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Copie

Copie Member

Download win creation tool
    Make bootable iso
    install SSD
    Install win 10
    profit.

2. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Wouldn't I have to Install Win 7 before Win 10 though, as I need to get a legit key for the "free upgrade", correct?

I can't just install Win10 directly and type my Win7 CD Key AFAIK :/

3. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah thats correct, at one point you could, but must of changed it.

Upgrade with your current HDD, put in new ssd and install fresh, should pick it straight up. Make sure you manually get the key first though (though it should activate automatically once online)

4. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

OK, yep my only concern was the HDD swap and it not picking up the key. I assume the key is somehow tied to the motherboard.

5. aussie7

aussie7 Member

Did this on my laptop, installed update to win 10 from win 8.1. Key is tied to the motherboard, then put new ssd in and did a fresh install of win 10

As for key, you can either enter it in during the fresh install or just skip it and it will be done automatically

6. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Hi any know, what the situation is, I upgraded activated etc etc but than I rolled back.

Does this mean I can upgrade again in like two years time? Or after the free 1 year period, I need to buy a licence?

7. GDavid

GDavid Member

Pretty sure I read somewhere a couple of days back some folks were 'keeping" the activation on a USB key..??

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/30/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-upgrade/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. ae00711

ae00711 Member

anyone? :(

9. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

10. Will S

Will S Member

I like the comments at the end when he talks about if you upgrade your PC ....as long as its not OEM it may just take a phone call to get you activated

Still, buggered if I trust MS.............. :)

btw: have just about decided to go back to win 8.1 due to desktop capture problems which I do quite often and it aint working to well in windows 10

11. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Had it installed, no matter what I did I had a 5 second delay between my typing and the character coming up. It also removed my paid AV and malware bytes. rolled back to 8.1 PC is happy again.

IMO the few hours I spent with it. I absolutely hated the start menu.

12. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

OMFG, why does Win7 take forever to search for Windows Updates, so I can eventually apply for the free upgrade?

Seriously been searching for more than 2 hours... fml.

13. FLB

FLB Member

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  14. Hater

Hater Member

Not a fan of inplace upgrades, I saved all of my files, created a Win10 bootable USB and as my laptop was already activated with Windows 10 on it, I figured I could just install Windows again and everything would be OK.

Except...

I created a Win 10 Pro USB, not a Win 10 Home one.

Can I downgrade from Pro to Home (and hence, activate) without reinstalling it all again?

15. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

OK, so the retarded upgrade to Windows for free never showed, even though that particular KB?????? was installed and Windows had genuine status.

Anyway, I used the Media Creation Tool, chose upgrade, all good.

Now I'm going to format PC for a fresh install.

A few days ago on another computer, I had used the Media Creation Tool and chose Win10 Pro both x86 + x64 and downloaded the ISO file.

Now using Win7 USB/DVD tool to create a bootable USB drive.

I guess my question is, will it ask me what version I'd like installed (x86 or x64), or will it just remember whatever version it activated (which in my case was Win10 Pro + x64) when it upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10?

And as a side note for others + myself, I didn't realize, but I think that since I had the ISOs already, I didn't need to really use Media Creation Tool to upgrade, just should of launched the ISO file, and Upgraded that way, rather than using Media Creation Tool to re-download it again :/

Also, why is Windows getting uglier and uglier, initial impression is yuk. There's no eye candy, whoever is in charge needs to be moved on.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  16. TamedShrew

TamedShrew Member

Why don't you give it a try and report back here.. ;)

17. mareke

mareke Member

I'm sticking with Windows 7 until at least just before the free upgrade period ends and maybe beyond. I can see why Microsoft has changed the activation method. There would be tens of millions of pirates (especially in China) using pirated versions of Windows 7 but once Window 10 becomes the only version of Windows supported with activation tied to the motherboard & stored in the Microsoft servers there'll be no more pirating & lots more revenue for Microsoft!

18. GDavid

GDavid Member

I'd like to see that too... :thumbup:

19. pantner

pantner Member

Just use the built-in "Reset" function of Windows 10. No need to f- about with isos or USB keys.

Also, i'm under the impression that if the upgrade didn't show on your computer there was something that MS identified as not compatible.

20. power

power Member

What gives you that impression?