[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Will S

Will S Member

ok...hsve put win 8.1 back on to fix a slight problem with capture ( said previously ) and to fix a very occasional 2 - 3 second lost of screen.....well thouigh it could have been linked with win10 and my nod32 AV program but still have the problem and I havent put NOD32 back on yet

Still screen capture works

And am getting pop up windows ( again today ) about installing win10 ....have dragged the icon into hidden icons but whilst gaming I got a large upgrade to windows 10 message......jeez...go away ...go away

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Uninstall the update, Google for the KB number, and it will go away. Uninstall the telemetry updates while you're at it.

3. renagade

renagade Member

Anyone have issues with a Windows 10 system not staying in sleep / hibernation ?
    I have disabled all USB devices from powering on the machine and the NIC as well. I have set it to only power on with magic packet. I might disable it from all WOL to test, perhaps it needs a driver update.
    Anyone else having this issue?

4. mareke

mareke Member

I haven't got Windows 10 but my computer was waking from sleep & I traced it to several possible causes. One of my programs was scheduled to check with the website in the early hours of the morning, Windows was set to check for updates every day at 3:00 a.m. & Windows was scheduled to perform a defrag in the early hours of the morning once a week. In my case I believe it was the program (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) checking something with the website & when I disabled this the computer stopped waking from sleep.

5. renagade

renagade Member

Sorry should have mentioned, also disabled wake timers.

6. kEv_

kEv_ Member

i dont let my PC sleep or hibernate, but since W10 it refuses to turn the screens off, its set to turn off after 10 mins, just doesnt:rolleyes:
    everything else is running fine

7. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

I *************HATEEEEEEEEEE******* the windows 10 forced update bs. I'm in a middle of a game and it takes over the screen and tells me that theres a update waiting to be installed. Do I give a ?

This is after I have deferred updates ticked too and the update isn't even important. It is telling me to update my ATI drivers but I have already updated to the latest beta a few days ago off the ATI site.

I even went into control panel and switched off the thing for windows to update my drivers and the update is still there. It's not a good idea to switch off the driver updates because just because I dont want my ATI drivers updated doesnt mean I dont want any of my drivers to be updated.

Oh and the next time I do an update I still HAVE to install the ATI update even though its either old or the same as what I have already because its still there and theres no way to get rid of it.

I ******HATE****** the current system where you can't pick and choose which update to install anymore. And I HATE how it pops up on your screen telling you to update when youre in the middle of something else.

Bloody annoys me so much I'm tempted to disable all updates and that isn't good. :mad: :thumbdn: :rolleyes: :(

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  8. robbo2

robbo2 Member

Have the same issue. Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't.

9. pantner

pantner Member

You have "Deferred Upgrades" ticked.

ie, new builds of Windows 10.

I've never had Updates take focus while i'm gaming, but i'm normally fairly prompt in installing them when i am alerted.

10. Newbie12

Newbie12 Member

Wow, does actually do that? I haven't experienced anything like that on my lappy, maybe because I install updates promptly when asked and not let it wait whilst I take my sweet time gaming.....:lol:

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What monitor? You're checked the power settings all set correctly?

12. kEv_

kEv_ Member

Dell 2412M and an old 17 inch dell as my secondary

i've checked and double checked every power saving option i can think of, or find, and they are all saying they should turn off, but they never do
    it isnt a fresh install, still running the upgrade as everything else is working fine
    (i did have problems with the x-fi fatality but once the drivers were out, all good)
    turning off the monitors worked perfectly under win 8.1

i havent bothered to google the problem fully yet, as its not that bigga deal to me

13. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

My updates occur at about 3am.

I've yet to have anything obtrusive occur on me while I'm doing something that the computer wants to take over.

Check when your automatic update settings are intending to fire.

14. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Having a major issue/annoyance. Did a W7 -> 10 upgrade using the genuineticket.xml method a week ago and for some reason now, the start menu doesn't work, icons on the desktop and in folders show as blank/white, and when you open a new explorer window, it just sits at "working on it..." and never finds any drives, though you can access them by putting the drive letter straight into the address bar.

Tried everything I could find with google, no results for SFC scannow, no auto drivers updates happening etc.. don't know what the cause is.

About to do a fresh install to see if it was something to do with the way it was upgraded.

15. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I'm mostly happy with win10 and office 2016.

1. I hate the new update system. I much prefer being able to read each update and click to install it myself rather than windows just doing it all behind my back. Is there a better way to configure updates?

2. Office 2016 has some really severe bugs. Simply openly doc, excel, powerpoint etc in old format (like '97) just causes random freezing requiring killing the process. A lot of lecturers etc use same notes forever and send us files in the old formats and it's becoming extremely annoying to have to hope they open and don't freeze before I can upconvert them. Huge amount of rage and time wasting that was never an issue previously

Disclaimer: Running legit windows (free from uni) and bought the 4 years uni student office 365 so it's not piracy related

3. I doubt this is windows fault, but during a typical powerpoint freeze rage I open task manager and notice this, WTF?????

[​IMG]
    iTunes 800mb ram to play 1000-3000kbps lossless on a local sata3 hdd is fairly outrageous but probably not an actual concern.

iCloud however. What on earth is it doing? This isn't a spike. It's non-stop. I have now had task manager up for 20 mins and cpu usage is staying between 50-60. CPU has power settings set so that it can underclock, usually when just doing non-intensive uni stuff and listening to music it'll be running minimum speed with like 5% utilization.
    [​IMG]

iCloud has it permanently at 50+% usage and sitting at max OC 4.3ghz non stop. Lol

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  16. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Oh yeah I have this problem as well actually. It seems to be when I leave virtually any program open. Chrome open? Windows will not turn off monitor. Office open? Itunes open? Will not turn off monitor. If they're running but minimised, it will sleep fine. But not if they're open and up, which wasn't the case for me on 8.1

I've just gotten used to minimising stuff. Running a dell u2713h and one of the old ultrasharp 24" 1200p as a secondary. Pioneer HT receiver on another HDMI which detects as a display too but issue occurs regardless of whether other monitors are plugged in or not.

I'm assuming there's a power setting somewhere that I've somehow missed, but I've looked a few times and found nothing...

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Arrgh! Creative soundcard decides it doesn't want to play nicely with Win10 again today so I'm required to re-install the software/drivers......*sigh*. Can we get this shite fixed up please? :tired:

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

LOL you are my primary indicator - when they finally fix this issue is when I will will seriously consider Win10........it kept happening on my HTPC but that was the AMD Video Card driver.

19. Imitation

Imitation Member

It could well be hardware related but I get at least 2 crashes per day now. Sometimes I might get as many as 10. Never had any problems with Win8. I keep hoping a driver update or a windows update will fix it but nothing has so far.

Not something to do with this? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rying-to/69705682-06ca-4e39-b17e-56d4bacc3452 Can find similar problems with Outlook and Word.

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I can't tell whether it's a windows issue or a creative one though.