1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad L520 from a a member of this forum last week (scootre) and it arrived yesterday (the thing looks and runs like a brand new laptop) so i have to thank him for this.

I bought this for my daughters friend to use because she smashed her toshiba laptop screen, and it had been reverted back factory Win 7 pro, so i did the updates, it got the win 10 upgrade notification during the updates, and i have now tried to upgrade to win 10 3 times, using my win 10 iso to launch it, and everything was ok during the initial setup stage while still on the win 7 desktop, it got all the updates required, i chose to wipe everything, and when the laptop did its first re-boot, it starts booting, and stops/hangs at the first win 10 logo and won't go any further, so i press the power button to shut down, and on restart, it loads up on the windows 7 OS, and then i get a screen with a box telling me the upgrade failed, due to a SAFE_OS Phase error during boot (code 0xC1900101-0x20017)

Tried it 3 times, fails each time ????

I used the same win 10 ISO (build 10586) on a bootable USB stick to launch the upgrade from the win 7 desktop, as i had done with 3 other laptops yesterday which worked fine, so i am going to launch the upgrade from the icon in the taskbar this time, so it will download the setup files onto the actual laptop and see if that works.

glad i just got my new NBN setup last week.

2. FLB

FLB Member

Does it have an optical drive?

I had this error on one of my pc's. Unplugged the optical drive and the upgrade completed successfully.

Very well known issue.

3. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yep it has optical, i just removed it from the laptop, and trying for the 4th time.

I also tried using that bootable win 10 USB stick to boot from and try a custom install and it does boot from it when i select the USB as the boot device.

If this 4th attempt from the desktop using the USB stick to launch it fails, even without the optical drive, i will place the ISO on the win 7 hdd and launch it from there, rather than have the USB stick in the laptop, maybe it is not reboot back into win 10 from that stick.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  4. FLB

FLB Member

Good luck.:thumbup:

5. TaroT

TaroT Member

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Well everything has failed with getting the 10 upgrade onto this Lenovo laptop, tried it 6 times from the win 7 desktop using the setup files on the USB stick, as well as launching it from the ISO sitting on the Hdd, then did it via the direct download method, and in each case, the laptop restarts the first time and loads the Win 10 files (this operation seems to happen very quickly) and then it hits the blue logo screen and stays there.

I even put in a temp Hdd and attempted a clean install from the USB boot stick, and it does the exact same thing, i boot from the USB stick, loads the files, then hangs on the logo screen, so without investigating and trying some of the so called fixes for this, i can't go any further.

If my daughters friend isn't bothered not having 10, well i will just leave it with 7 pro on it.

Another thing that i often like to do when doing a custom/clean install onto a Hdd, i remove it from the machine, put it in a dock on my computer and i format the Hdd first, then put it back in and do the installation, this way the windows setup does not create that small System Reserved partition.

I have never had any issues doing it like that, so i will grab that spare Hdd that i just put in the Lenovo laptop and pre-format it, and try a custom install on that as well, but i figured it may be pointless as the installation doesnt get past loading the files.

EDIT: just tossed a 750gb Hdd into my dell studio 1555 laptop and booted on that win 10 usb stick, and where on the lenovo when it loads the files after boot, it does it within a flash of the eyes, on the dell it takes around 15 to 20 seconds, then starts in install as normal.

Obviously something borks this lenovo at the copying of the files stage.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. TaroT

TaroT Member

8. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

That is the same error details page that i read when i got the blue error box on my screen after i restarted the laptop, doesnt list the error code that i was given, but typing the code in google gives a lot of links referring to that issue, however it seems that there are quite a lot of possible causes, some claim they got a fix, others not.

The laptop is out of warranty, so i am not hopeful that anyone at lenovo australia will help me, but i will try anyway, because this really shouldn't be happening.

My Daughters friend just came over to test drive it, and she is happy with the laptop, and doesn't care about 10, she has had 7 on her other toshiba laptop and her school laptop, and doesn't mind using it again.

I still would like to at least get the permanent activation set on it tho.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

Why you need/want Windows 10?

Bought an 8.1 laptop for a client this morning "have to have it today, by lunch - can't be windows 10 because that doesn't work". Bought laptop 9:40am (Toshiba Satellite - i3 w/ 1TB drive and 8GB Ram).

Remove Crapware, install Office 2010 Standard SP2, install Adobe Reader DC.
    Hit Windows Update.

Takes almost an Hour to progress past 0% downloads (231 updates btw - 1.3GB).
    Restarts at 1:48pm after completing all 231 updates.

Now sure, an SSD would have helped - but its a budget laptop. Cost like $760 or something.

Who the fuck has time for this?

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Conversely, if you install from a TH2 base - Windows 10 has about 13-14 updates.

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

so win 10 still bad? was thinking of trying it with a better build!

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

it was always fine.

Upgrades from 7 - 10 have been haphazard. 8 - 10 (especially 8.1 - 10) have largely been fine.

As far as major app revisions go (8.1 was really just SP1 for 8), 10 has easily been the smoothest OS launch so far.

source: I manage IT for about 400 small businesses and a spattering of home users that pay our rates.

13. Will S

Will S Member

I prefer it but a couple of programs had slight hicups but I think they have been fixed......

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

should i test out pro or home? i don't really want to lose my 8.1 key on an upgrade just yet!

15. pantner

pantner Member

are you joining it to a domain or using bitlocker,etc?

Then no reason for Pro.

Plus, if you upgrade to Win10 you can roll back to your previous OS withing 30 days.

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

do you still need pro to use Windows Backup? (n.b I only use pro - because Business).

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't thin k it was ever bad :p

I've been loving it from day dot.

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i did have problems with the OS, like from a cold boot it would just boot to blank screen: not a screen with just the cursor but with the screen turned off. I am not sure what was/is causing that...possibly fast start up?

19. TaroT

TaroT Member

yes I have had the black screen of crap before but it went away after the next boot.
    the other thing that can cause it is if you have the comp setup to auto login to desktop.
    turn that off then reboot and then redo it(this has worked for me)

Windows 10 has issues but not that many in my opinion and for me and all the machines I have it on so far(the updated 586 version) all is well even dts sound)

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i don't think i have auto-login set up when i did my initial trials of win 10.

but yes when the blank screen happens a forced reboot works....not sure why that was the case. i was using the technical previews.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015