[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Where is the source for that file? The website?

Found it:
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

Trying it out now on the main PC. That seems to have fixed to non-update issue - thank you.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Revenger

Revenger Member

Yep I posted that link but had custom text.

Also catalouge shows the 245mb or so update to 1709.

Anyone notice how the new Acrylic Fluent blur effect is very much like Yosmite introduced in OSX with there GUI changes.
    I like but needs more integration like the settings app please and file explorer etc.
    Staged roll-out of Acrylic because people don't want to be overwhelmed, is not a good choice leaves Windows half assed for a while while OSX etc have got it right and here now.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  3. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

All updated tyvm - now have a GPU monitor in the performance tab.

4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Thankfully all of my privacy settings were the same (Off) but Fast Start Up was again enabled - this setting is the source of many issues and who needs it with SSD?:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

5. Revenger

Revenger Member

Updating my 2 in 1 now.

Need to go through the settings and work out how to change extra stuff like this upgrade message to English.
    I think its Unicode language local or something.

[​IMG]

6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I disable it still, otherwise I get a bunch of system errors in my event logs every restart/shut down. I do the same for my HTPCs. Onedrive was also re-enabled. Uninstalled that shit. I'm aware some might use it, I don't. Adobe Updater had to be set to manual in services then stopped, that crap can start manually when I open a PDF file. Disabled Cortana via registry but CBF uninstalling package via powershell. Disabled more background apps that I don't need to be running constantly. All tweaked out again: 2 of 3 PCs done. Last one is my HTPC in the bedroom, will do that on the weekend. :thumbup:

Also does anyone know if the previous/earlier version (even pre CU) re-enabled parked cores for CPU? I remember the previous CU caused stuttering in some games, not all, even at high FPS. I unparked all my cores again and gaming has been smooth so far in my tests.

Edit: It seems to have kept all my security and privacy settings. Surprised it didn't fuck around with my sound as well as my gsync settings and nvidia preferences.

7. Revenger

Revenger Member

Has anyone got the touch keyboard swiftkey wordflow thing working?

Trying out on my 2 in 1 and it shows the swipe action but nothing happens.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I don't see fast startup probably because I disabled hibernation in the BIOS settings.

It did keep all my CPU core unparked though.

The only thing I had to do was reinstall my video drivers because of how my laptop is set up. I have to use modded drivers just to get the laptop to run the GPU correctly so it decided to ignore them because they were unsigned.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmm I'll have to do that also, looks handy :thumbup:

10. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Woohoo stuck in an endless loop. Download (slowly) then it goes into "preparing for installation" after about 10 minutes it reboots to reinstall, then gets to about 60% and throws up a page fault, reboots and restores previous version, then once previous version boots it tries to go back and start again. Third time it's done the same thing now, I could do this all day!

11. mrjayviper

mrjayviper Member

12. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

The setting is in Power Options > Choose What The Power Buttons Do > (Change settings that are currently unavailable) Turn on fast startup

Do you disable speedstep and C3/C6 in BIOS?

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I know it's meant to be there but it's not showing up because I disabled hibernation in the bios. Nothing else is disabled.

14. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

How did you uninstall OneDrive and did it cause any issues?

Late Edit: I followed this guide:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...OneDrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Got rid of other crap whilst there.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  15. Supersize

Supersize Member

I had a strange "Updating BIOS" message on the first restart of the Fall Update.

Installed it this morning.
    Who knows why it was doing anything to the BIOS (Asus x299 TUF).

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok so no issues so far, but seems to be just business as usual! Well I did notice the people thing in the task bar, which I promptly dispatched.

17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Open Task Manager an you will see the GPU usage now, not nearly as good as others but it still good to see it.

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

OK, reenabled hibernation in the BIOS and disabled Fast startup.

19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Interesting, but I guess in most gpu intensive apps, gaming, I'm not going to see the task manager.

20. Moarphine

Moarphine Member

I was not going to move from W7, and had it fine running with my R5 1600 and MSI B350 Mortar. I upgraded to an Asus CH6 and had all kinds of problems with W7 playing nice. Decided to try W10, so far pretty impressed.

Haven't installed a single driver from the MOBO disc, everything is working fine. I guess I'll need to install the latest AMD chip driver though. Oh and what is with Edge? It's a pretty snappy browser but the extensions available are pretty low. I'd like to keep it but I will likely get chrome for https everywhere. I'd prefer FF for noscript but I've only got 16gb of memory so its probably not enough for 3 tabs :p

Is there any 'must dos' I need to know about? I've created an MS account and linked the key to it.

Any links I should read through? I've heard a lot about privacy concerns. I don't really care so long as its all secure.