[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

All good. At least you tried something.

2. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Not sure if this is a Winblows error or a Chrome error but has anyone else noticed Chrome occasionally turning to a black screen when switching back from another program? Doesn't happen every time but I've been noticing it since the Windows update that happened in about June. Both Chrome and Windows have been updated since and still no change.

I haven't really looked into it too deep but it seems when I go between open programs, (Word, other browsers, email mostly) if I click on Chrome in the taskbar the screen between the top bar and the taskbar goes black. If I click anywhere on the screen with a left click it remembers what I clicked but the only way to make the screen come back is right click on the Chrome icon in the taskbar.

It obviously doesn't bug me much or I would have done something in five months but it happens on two computers.

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Like Alt-Tabbing?

4. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Both with Alt-Tab and with the mouse clicking on the icon in the taskbar.

Actually I've just realised that it only happens when the Chrome screen is minimised. So it's got to be something to do with the Chrome resizing.

5. steelbom

steelbom Member

Every time I boot up after installing the FCU my apps resume from where I left them... I checked and fast boot isn't enabled, so I'm wondering how this is happening...?

6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

It could be an issue with your Chrome Profile.

7. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

It might be a profile issue but if it is then the same thing happened on two different computers at almost the same time

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Still kicking about still in Windows 7, I finally decided to grab some more RAM to bring my total to 24GB (Thanks Cities:Skylines! :lol:) . However, looks like I've been done by an artificial Windows 7 Home Premium memory limitation, restricting my RAM access to 16GB.

So a few questions;
    • Is the Windows 10 upgrade still free?
    • Considering I don't want Windows 10, is it possible to dual boot my existing Windows 7 and Windows 10 on a separate disk, using the free upgrade license?
    • If I could still stick with Windows 7, is it still possible to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate?

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

the free offer expired a long time ago.

10. hawks667

hawks667 Member

11. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Got this update stuck in limbo
    2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for amd64-based Systems (KB4043961)

It downloads and asks for a restart, then during the blue "updating don't switch off" screen it crashes and repairs itself, then once repaired it goes back and downloads the update again and tells me it needs to reboot to install
    If I download the KB4043961 update from the update catalogue it tells me the update is installed.
    After dumping the software distribution folder the msu file runs and unpacks then during a restart it does the same thing.
    Only difference between the automatically downloaded one and the msu seems to be the update in Update and Settings says it's for amd64 were as the msu doesn't (it's not an amd system).

I can restart/shutdown the system without the machine trying to install through the normal shutdown, but the update and reset message wont go away from the "update and Setting screen". All other updates have worked but I can't seem to stop this one from appearing.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Worst case you do a clean install. I never had issues with a clean install but with a straight update I seem to have some issues like where the hell are my missing power plans???

13. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

It would have to be unbootable before I bothered with a clean install.

Last time something like this happened I just waited for the next CU, downloaded it from the update catalogue then ran it and it stopped looking for the previously not working update. With a bit of luck this will do the same.

Would just be nice if an update could be cancelled. I understand why MS don't people cancelling updates but if an update keeps failing it would be nice to have the ability.

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I wonder what happens if you try to crash the update process? Would it revert back to the previous version?

15. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Not something I would try if it was 1/2 way through writing you could lose the lot.....

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

That's fine. I was just thinking out loud.

17. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The machine reboots and gets to about 45% (from memory) and does the sad face icon with some text about having an error installing. There is also the line about telling tech support it's a page fault error. It reboots and then tries again and gets the same point, same error. Then reboots and the screen says "attempting to repair" (or words to that effect. In about 30 seconds the o/s is loaded.

If you kill the machine before it crashes it reboots and goes straight into repair mode and 30 seconds later the desktop is running.

Either way by the time it's booted Window's update is either trying to download the update again or sitting there telling me the system needs a restart. I don't know if it's got something to do with the AMD in the title or not but if I could just stop it from downloading one CU I'd be happy because it would pick up anything it needs next time there is a CU.

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

1bug has confirmed I can repost their excellent summary post as long as I duly reference where it came from.
    Source: http://whrl.pl/Re1pCt
    Please ensure the relevant reference (Source: http://whrl.pl/Re1pCt) is preserved if reposting this info.

19. millsy

millsy Member

As noted there's the accessibility one if you have no issues with that.

Although not helpful if you have a windows 7 pro key you can still use that to upgrade a win10 home version to pro.

20. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Have a look at the post: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/windows-10-mega-thread.1115159/page-289#post-17704490
    there are many ways to still activate Win10 from Win7-8......

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017