[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

Also as a note: I added this to the sticky which needs a major overhaul as it hasn't been touched in 2 years.
    HELP ME OUT people.

Is there a free upgrade to Windows 10?
    The official upgrade ended on 29 July 2016 but if you use Assistive Technologies technology you can still upgrade using the site here until December 31 2017.
    Note: This works for anyone without any restrictions.

(Yep Microsoft is pulling the free assistive upgrade end of this year so you guys don't have long to upgrade for free)

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

The catch with the upgrade is that I wanna have both Win 7 and Win X dual boot. But the upgrade process won’t allow this, and I suspect if I do some disk clone trickery that windows 7 license will expire?

I am going to see how windows 10 runs in indefinite trial mode. :)

Also, a student license of Win X costs $180! :(

EDIT:
    Messing about with WinX Media Creator, and I now have an ancient 60GB SSD running with WinX on it that kicks off a dual boot sequence.

The trial period of WinX doesn't seem defined, and apparently isn't too aggressive, in that for just playing a game that uses 16GB of RAM I shouldn't have too much if any dramas.

In testing the dual boot now, I was even able to point WinX Steam to the Win7 steam libraries and they seem to mostly work, so long as Steam is run as Administrator within the WinX system.

I'm probably overdue for learning WinX anyway, considering more & more of my customers are being forced onto it - but I'll be stuffed paying $180 for it!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Win 10 home Retail is like $159 AUD isn't it?

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/619985/Microsoft-Windows-10-Home-Retail-3264-Bit-Flash-Drive

Yap... much better to get that IMHO, can then install on whatever comp you want.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

5. Darko

Darko Member

MSY have Windows 10 retail for $139.00

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

What do we get with this new "Feature Update" for 1703, i had issues getting it to install properly on my Dell M4700 this morning, after the laptop restarted, it just went into a restart loop and would not stop, so i shut it down manually and when i rebooted, it got to the desktop after 5 minutes, and i was informed that this Update failed to install ???

Just tried it again, this time it installed, noticed a few changes, will see how it goes.

Am also having this same update done on my Dell Studio 1735 right now as well.

You can still get the free upgrade if you have a win 7 OEM key (grab one from someones desktop pc or laptop OEM sticker) and just start a fresh custom install from start, and enter that key when prompted, wipe your current Hdd when prompted, and if installation continues (after a short delay) then your new Win 10 will be activated at the desktop, once the machine has connected to the internet.

If you have a Home premium key you will get Win 10 Home installed, if it is a Pro key, you get Pro installed.

This is as of yesterday, did a Win 10 install on an old dell laptop from scratch, used a Win 7 Home Premium OEM key, all activated perfectly.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  7. Revenger

Revenger Member

Had to fix my dads failed update on his Chuwi which had 6 failed attempts I ran a windows update reset powershell reset and all was good after that so if anyone else has issues try that its online at a Microsoft support site thing.

Yea as said my thread needs a overhaul and not something I have the mindset of doing myself was hoping OCAU would step up and this would be a thing the members here would help me with keeping it updated but guess OCAU isn't that type of community with maintaining threads etc.

8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

It's interesting the Update reset worked for me with the Fall Update after it failed several times (both downloading and installing), but with the CU update that came in out on 17/10 (or thereabouts) it hasn't worked. I've tired it a number of times and still the update refuses to install whether I download it manually or let Windows download it and I can't remove it from the download queue.

9. Revenger

Revenger Member

The PowerShell script took me a little to run as I had to disable windows update service manually run the script as admin and re-enable and reboot etc.

A method for those stuck is you can create a new user account to try or in the end do a windows refresh and upgrade from there.

I'm liking the refresh system we have now.
    Also seems they updated the installer with tabbed pages and Cortana narration, taking wires from OSX etc.

10. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I like the Windows refresh too, it's quite handy but right now I can't be bothered doing that. I'm going to play it lazy and be hopeful they release another CU soon and that one downloads.

11. Revenger

Revenger Member

Next major version update is in March 2018.

And if its anything like my dads wifes system we setup it'll download and install 1709 first and all its updates before before downloading 1803.

That's what happened with me over the last week at dads place updating all there systems.

12. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

1709 (build 16299.19) worked the 2nd time on the M4700, seems to be ok, and my Dell Studio 1735 (my main desktop at the moment) just did that update and it went perfect first time.
    I personally don't really care what it does or doesn't offer, i am not one of those people who seems to bitch about every single thing they don't like with 10, overall i am happy with it, and i will continue to update to new builds as they come along.

I just downloaded the new Media Creation Tool from MS, and i am currently downloading this new 1709 (16299.19) as an ISO so i have the latest version ready to install on other machines when needed.

It amazes me that there are still lots of people, in here as well, who are not aware that you can still get the free Win 10 activation without doing it using that Assistive Technologies method, just need a Win 7 OEM Key and insert it during setup of a custom fresh install, but i am not sure if it works using a retail key, never tried it before.

How can we help with updating those Stickies ?

13. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I've got 1709, its the CU for 1709 released a week and a half ago (something about update for AMD) which won't download. If there is another CU between now and the next major update I'm hopeful that it kicks the AMD one out of the line.

14. Revenger

Revenger Member

Well most of the FAQ's I did are now probably out of date and were pre-release, some remain relevant others not soo much.

What people can do if they have edits they can PM me with a edited block to a FAQ or add a new one in and let me know changes where I can copy/paste the info and I can just paste in the stuff.

Ultimately the whole sticky needs going through at some point.

Ill add anyone to the list at the top of the sticky thread that can help.

15. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

On both Dell laptops i just updated to 1709, i just found there was a "windows.old" folder sitting in C-Drive, didn't realize that new update would have done that.

16. Revenger

Revenger Member

Been like that since vista days or so, so you can rollback if needed, just run disk cleanup and cleanup old installation files.

Microsoft should follow Apples update system with old files etc.

17. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Oddly, on both my Dell laptops updated today, the windows.old folder is 5gb bigger than the new windows folder is, so that update clears out a lot of space.

18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I removed my Windows.old directory to free space up and it completely wrecked my dual boot login. Dunno what happened but got blue screens and had to reconstruct the boot loader to get back in. FFS.

19. Revenger

Revenger Member

Never manually remove said folders always do a disk cleanup first on system, stuff old installs etc which will clean up he folders then you may remove any left over bits afterwards.

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It wasn't done manually. It was done through the appropriate disk cleanup method within Windows.