[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

‘I removed’ ‘I ran disc cleanup’ hmm

As for cheap win10 licenses. If you’re a uni student, or possibly even just still have uni login access etc and your uni offers it (I think most do?) you can get win 10 Education edition for free. I been working full time 1.5 Years now and my free education license still going fine

2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I removed it through disk cleanup. Clearer now?

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx Download CU manually and install.

4. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

As per previous posts, I did download it manually. That particular post should have said wont install not wont download.

5. breno

breno Member

Got the Fall Creators update yesterday. Comps been running like crap since, not happy and haven't had the time to sit down and work out what to do :/

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

All 10 laptops i have updated manually to 1709 (16299.19) over the weekend are all running fine, the Win 10 AIO ISO (32bit+64bit) that i downloaded from MS last Friday was actually 1709, build 16299.15 but with a few added updates later it became 1709, build 16299.19

7. breno

breno Member

Yeah, I dunno what's going on. I know I don't have an SSD in this system but I wasn't feeling like I needed one as things were running quite well.
    I'm rolling back to previous build now...

Funnily enough, when you go to rollback, they ask you why..One of the options is earlier builds seem faster. At least they're acknowledging the possibility of an update slowing things down.

8. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I think the new 1709 is faster, especially boot and shut down times, noticed it even on laptops with normal Hdd.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

One way of looking at it, but I doubt it. The other way to look at it is just that they are confident in the update and want to know why you would roll back.

10. breno

breno Member

Experience can determine perception :D

11. coolroy

coolroy Member

Currently running win 10 pro 1703 & if I ask it to check for updates it does not come back yet with 1709.

Is it because my machine has possible issues with 1709 & is delaying the the install or is the roll out still being staggered for Australian Desktop pc's?

See sig below for pc specs

12. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I got my friends Dell inspiron laptop 3 days ago (it is only 1 year old) to check if it had done the 1709, and it was still on 1607, i ran updates for 3 days, still nothing except the usual ones, so i just plugged my 1709 usb installer stick in, opened it up and ran the 1709 manually from the desktop (keeping apps and files) and it took about 15 minutes to complete.

Usually i do custom installs on my own laptops when a new major version comes out, but everyone elses laptops updating it keeping apps and files is fine.

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Most definitely.....and don't worry, I'm no MS fan, I've had my fair share of troubles after trying to remove Windows.Old.....almost hosed two installs, ffs.

14. .Spada.

.Spada. Member

Is there a way that I make a right click on the desktop open up my start menu at the place where I clicked? So, now when I right-click, I get the 'view', 'sort by' etc, but what I would like is to have actual programs there that I can open from that particular menu.

To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I used the right-click menu as it currently stands.

15. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

Another update that bypassed bitlocker.

EDIT: Fucked the way creative sound works in Just Cause 3. Fuck's sake.

Edit 2: had to turn a whole bunch of stuff off or on to hear voices in VLC.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  16. tornado33

tornado33 Member

Im on the Windows Insider slow ring, now running 1709 build 17025.1000 on my now 9 year old system though I am running it off a SSD, the PC wont stay asleep though thats been the case on earlier versions, and with all versions on cold boots it causes the BIOS to run the cpu fan at max speed even at idle, i have to use Speedfan to slow it down again, if I restart instead of shutdown and restart, the fan runs at the proper speeds.

17. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Quoting myself because no else else seems to be suffering the same errors but I have finally found updates to them.

This bug got worse this morning after a CU update so I went looking and it's a known bug with Chrome version 59 and up combined with 500 and 600 series intel gpu drivers. It happens in a number of different ways but the end result is always black screen and the only real fix seems to be turning hardware acceleration off. Chrome are apparently looking into it. Might be time to dump Chrome and find another browser.

Manually downloaded " 2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4048955) " this morning, ran the Update Troubleshooter which cleared the update queue then before it restarted and tried to download the KB4043961 CU I ran used the update file and it installed the new CU. Installed no problems and has now gotten rid of the stuck CU from the update queue.

18. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

To be honest, unless there's something chrome specific you need I find edge is pretty solid all things considered. If you're stressed about potential exploits dump it in EMET and hope for the best.

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Must admit I've never given edge a good go. I had a few annoyances with it when it was first released but never went back to it. Maybe I'll give it another go because this Chrome bug is annoying.

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I generally get better battery life, and especially on 'power saver' mode I find it's immensely smoother on my Lenovo tablet with an i3 6100. The edge / onenote integration is pretty great too, can tap a button and scribble all over the page instantly :)