[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kEv_

kEv_ Member

i have it with Ventrilo, every time, i thought it might be cause its not the latest version of vent, i'm too lazy to install the new one atm

2. Darko

Darko Member

It's as easy as disabling the Windows Update service in the Services settings

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What's that? :p Don't have that one installed : )

4. kEv_

kEv_ Member

voice comms, like TS3 or discord i guess, i've never used discord tho

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hmmmm....I'm getting a message saying that 'The Audio service is not running' but I get audio from my computer. I don't why this is the case and I don't think it's any of the sound devices because I reinstalled both the nvidia HD audio driver and the realtek hd audio driver and it still happens.

6. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Accidentally clicked update.

Now I'm chasing an occasional hard lock with the Fall Creators Update. System was completely stable prior. :upset:

7. Cruise

Cruise Member

On the road (theres a chance of getting run over)
    On updating my windows 10 last night the update crapped itself so I was left with a computer that doesn’t have a working operating system. I found out this morning (sucks to be me) that Microsoft stopped all free upgrades to Windows 10 from the 31st December 2017.

It looks like I will need to buy Windows 10; its $199.00 AUD for the home version and $339.00 AUD Windows 10 Pro on the Microsoft website. I have seen other sites where it is a lot cheaper, I saw Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Professional Product Key 32/64 Bit for $49.00 online and whilst it sounds good I don’t trust it as far as I could throw it.

I do have the proper discs for Windows 7 32/64

I need advice guys, I need to get Windows 10. What should I do?

8. ae00711

ae00711 Member

TPB

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

you can buy it for $139 from most computer shops, OEM Home edition, or at least i was buying them for that much some months ago, but spose you want retail, not sure how much they are in stores because microsoft only sell retail.

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i prefer oem cos it's cheaper but limited to a single PC while retail is more expensive but allows for license transfer to different hardware....sigh

11. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I recently built 2 micro gaming computers for 2 friends to give to their 14 year old boys for Xmas, and i just bought the cheaper OEM versions, and those will just be sold with the computers if the owners ever decide to sell them, they can then do the same thing if they decide to build new computers, but with the cost of these 2 computers i dare say they won't be selling them for quite a long time, the 2 kids are only 14 and i was told to build them to last at least 5 years.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i remember play asia was selling win 10 pro keys for about $25 USD at one point before they stopped selling OS software in general.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

If the PC has already been upgraded (or attempted) to Windows 10 then your hardware ID may already be recorded and can be performed again and activated ok.

14. Will S

Will S Member

I updated to win10 pro from win8 or win8 which may have been OEM ,,,is win10 still considered oem ? want to upgrade my new system to win 10 pro

15. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

NB there, been an issue with microsoft update program.. .. (even before the 31/12/2017).. you have to copy a file across.. (see my windows 10 thread)... and then all seems to work.. updating still seems to work.. according to some after the 1/1/2018

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I believe it does.

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  18. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

It would say it will still be available using the custom install method using a win 7 or 8 key to validate the 10 activation, if not then yes you will need to buy it.

I am looking for a couple of old laptops with win 7 still on them (not updated to 10 yet) so i can periodically do a custom install of 10 onto each one of them to see if this custom install method still works, and if i see it not working i will report it in here.

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

On another note, has anyone been getting the following "Update" box on their screen, supposedly something to do with Chromium, and if you click OK it gets picked up by Defender as a severe alert, and is quarantined for removal.

Click to view full size!

I have had it on an old laptop (test machine) to see what happens, and after Defender gets it and puts it in quatantine, i had to restart the laptop to clean up the mess, when it gets back to the desktop, Bing is my firefox home page.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Bing home page in my Firefox

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  20. Will S

Will S Member

having a hell of a day trying to activate win 10 .........because previous motherboard chucked a fit I have a new motherboard and for some reason couldnt get my LAN to work so put the old NVVme drive that had windows on it in and after some configuring it worked ( old gigabyte new asus ) ...anyway they now reckon I am trying to screw them out of money and tell me to go to store and buy a new licence

well f&&k them, I have a full version of win10 that cost me $159 and they aren't getting any more money from me.......and activating by phone is horrible so will see if USB lan can solve my problems in the new M.2 drive