[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Foliage

Foliage Member

Just install enterprise and disable via group policy. This won't break anything this way.

2. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

When loading windows: https://m.imgur.com/l7Sfjzm

...and you press enter to display your user password box, mine is often a blank screen with no text anywhere.

Pressing the UP cursor takes you back to the previous screen, but hitting enter gives me a blank screen again.

3. Foliage

Foliage Member

You have multiple monitors?

4. Supersize

Supersize Member

Only got Pro.. :lol:
    I just run Spybot Anti Beacon, turned off Windows Defender with group policy because it bitches about Cheatengine (only for singleplayer guys..lol), removed shortcut arrows and "shortcut to", so far so good, at least I can now type the name of the app I'm wanting in the start menu... :thumbup:

Originally I was using WinaeroTweaker to change a few other settings, maybe that was breaking Windows too.

5. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Single screen

6. wwwww

wwwww Member

Windows 10 needs a way to cancel updates.

When I boot up my laptop to show a client something, you can bet that I wasn't planning to show them the Windows Upgrade screen for 10 minutes.

7. power

power Member

Pause them, but remember to turn them on at some stage.

upload_2018-3-8_7-47-8.png

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I just installed w10 on two rigs, one is happy and the other one keeps reminding me to update it, I have run through the long download and upgrade procedure twice but it still seems to have the same build (1511) .... So I did a new bootable USB with the ms tool and neither that or my old faithful want to start installing on this machine ... What the heck is going on?

I will be pausing updates but that won't stop the "this version of windows has poor mining performance" warning I get .....

:(

9. GDavid

GDavid Member

Sorry I can't answer aussie'...

Anyone know how to get over an edu account license and change it? Can I just buy a retail version then apply the license any(where)? :confused:

10. wwwww

wwwww Member

Every now and then I'll find a Windows 10 PC won't sign in (just gets stuck after logging in), sometimes restarting just gets stuck on 'Restarting'. A hard shit down and start up again fixes this, if this happens during updates it normally requires a system restore. These aren't whiteboxes, they're HP and Dell workstations (Z series and Precision). I've done fresh installs and they work at first, but after I let updates run they start stuffing up again.

Also NVMe performance halves after an update (regardless of the driver used) - peak speed is fine but IOPs half, even on completely empty drives.

It's like MS doesn't beta test their updates, or we're the beta testers.

They should rename Windows 10 to Windows ME2.

11. GDavid

GDavid Member

Gold! Loads of quirks is the new Status Quo.

Still wondering if I can purchase a new license and be done with my edu license easily?

12. wwwww

wwwww Member

The problem is the WIndows 10 quirks keep changing, they fix one, break 3 more. Windows ME was just broken from the start and never fixed but if you knew the quirks you could still use it normally.

GDavid likes this.
  13. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

It should just be a case of changing the key in the system properties.

GDavid likes this.
  14. GDavid

GDavid Member

15. wwwww

wwwww Member

Is there a way to just get security updates and nothing else? (other than manually selecting them each time)

16. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

As a tech myself that faces the same issues regarding a complete lack of control over Windows 10 updates, I think Windows 10 sucks balls and had less in the way of issues with Windows Me.

wwwww likes this.
  17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

You are all talking about Win10 LTSB - which will only get critical security updates and gives a lot of control:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3250464/microsoft-windows/faq-windows-10-ltsb-explained.html

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  18. millsy

millsy Member

As a security guy, the fact these are patched aggressively makes my life a lot more annoying :lol:

flu!d likes this.
  19. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Which is only available with Windows 10 EE and therefore unavailable to the average consumer. The best we can hope for is the OS formally known as Windows 10 'Pro'. Anyone here who runs EE and claims "yeah, it's all legit" is full of turd.

self_slaughter likes this.
  20. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

If turd is what ya gotta be.....................be brown solid and smelly!

flu!d likes this.