[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. proffesso

proffesso Member

yeah ive done that too, no change.

another thing ive noticed, youtube videos pause/stutter when I change tabs in chrome (in another instance on 2nd monitor)

going to try different video drivers today, will see what happens

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

WTF? The Windows 10 system sounds aren't working but I still get sound from videos and games...hmmm....

3. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Type in search "Adjust System Volume" or for a shorter version "Volume" and it will pop up. Just move the slider up and your good to go.

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Thanks. I opened the volume mixer and for some reason system sounds was muted so i unmuted it and it works now :D

5. wwwww

wwwww Member

Just discovered Microsoft offers a stable Windows 10 called LTSB (which gets rid of all the unstable stuff like unnecessary updates (security updates are still incl), Cortana, Windows Shop (and associated unstable apps), etc.

Seems difficult to get but I'll try out an eval copy tomorrow.

6. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Iirc you can only get LTSB on Enterprise Edition.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

8. ORION2001

ORION2001 Member

Im so over Windows10. I have it on one machine and it works fine. I just did a clean install of Win10 on both of my son's pc's. Started off quick but then after its installed a few software and updates, both have considerably slowed down. Lag. Hang. Unresponsive. Very long startup times. I have searched online and tried many 'solutions' including disabling services, increasing virtual memory size, optimization, disable some startup programs etc. The things were getting slower and slower after every update!! I tried Microsofts own fixes but they are still slow. Im at my witts end. I 'upgraded' from Win7 to Win10 allegedly. But I have nothing but issues with it. Enterprise edition. Ram usage is under 5% and cpu usage 1% and its laggy as truck. 16gb ram and i7 3770k cpus on both machines. It may be because of the Creators update. Grrr.
    Just put Windows7 OS drive back in and woah. Much better and quicker.
    Is anybody else getting major lag and startup time and non responsiveness from Windows10 after their last forced updates?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. recoN

recoN Member

Yeah Windows 10 is trash really. At its bare level it's actually quite minimal and useful but it's been dragged down by so much bullshit bloat that it becomes this unnecessarily slow, laggy, and bloated mess.

Would def recommend it over W7 though - especially if you're gaming.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Have you updated GPU drivers?

Was it screen and or input lag - that is just screen or also mouse and keyboard, etc.

No issues here at all.

If your using an "Enterprise edition" on a domestic PC I think your problem is very clear.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Quick question, after the last big win10 update I can no longer changes UAC to completely OFF through the normal way, i.e. by adjusting the slider to the lowest setting. When I do this it just adjusts it back again to the second setting up the slider when I reboot the pc.

Can anyone confirm they are getting the same behavior? Just wondering if it's me or everyone. Ta.

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I only have and use an Admin Account - UAC has remained all the way off. Maybe try it via an Admin Account.

WinVer: 1709 16299.371

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I only have one account, an admin account.

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

17. ORION2001

ORION2001 Member

Yes I updated the GPU drivers. Its lag at startup by long black screens, the spinning circle, desktop icons appearing. Opening File Explorer, opening software etc. Very frustrating.
    Which Windows10 version do you recommend for a normal home user? Enterprise was given to me for free and I was happy to use it instead of going out to buy Win 10 OS then find out I didnt like it after upgrading from 7.
    My other PC runs 10 no problem. I might check exactly which version.

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

My concern would be the copy sounds dodgy and of the net and limps, has a parrot on it's shoulder and likes to go "aye". It is showing signs of impaired performance and could be some MALWARE running on it.

Win10 Pro is for my home units (3).

DL the latest ISO from MS and it should have all variants (Home, Pro, etc).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    ORION2001 likes this.
  19. ORION2001

ORION2001 Member

Ok thanks Bold Eagle. I downloaded a fresh version of Win10 (includes Pro) off the Microsoft website and bought a license for it. Going through the installation of my software right now and so far so good. Perhaps the recent download had all the updates in it and didnt get corrupted. Will see over the next few days when I reinstall software.

20. wwwww

wwwww Member

Can anyone test on other hardware, I've found on my Dell M7720 drive I/O halves under version 1709. I can wipe the drives clean and the performance is still bad but if I do a fresh install of Win 10 performance returns until updating to the latest version. I haven't ruled out some dodgy drivers as these can't be unselected delivered through Windows Update but it's not the NVMe or drive controller drivers.

Also anyone know how to add printers via IP in 1709? The dialog no longer comes up under search:
    [​IMG]

and the "The printer that I want isn't listed" link in the new settings app does absolutely nothing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018