[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

My config hasn't changed in about forever, I'm quite sure this change occurred after the upgrade to 1709 though. There's been nothing else new in that time, other than updates to software already installed etc. Home laptop has had new games installed, but they aren't on my work machine.

And no, no roaming profiles.

2. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Every update (for example Fall Creators Update) MS changes some of my settings (to enhance security or encroach on my privacy?) the last update changed the 'Controlled Folder Access' (enabled it) and it took me a while to figure it out. I would DLview a PDF/File online and open it but whenever I tried to save it to desktop or my DATA folder/HDD it would generate a message "File or folder pathway does not exist" or something to that affect. I eventually figured I could save the files to my C: install drive in the Windows folder. So I had no permission to save/write files to my DATA drives but I could to my Windows folder - that was really wrong - MALWARE couldn't write to my other folders but could write to my Windows folder - WTF.

Anyway changing the 'Controlled Folder Access' to disabled meant I could again view and save files to any folder I wanted. Your description makes me think you have impaired access for read/write (in your case delete) for some of the folders. I think the Controlled Folder Access is still in it's infancy and a PITA!

Review your settings and expect MS to have made a change somewhere.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...r-access-anti-ransomware-feature-is-now-live/

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    EvilGenius and Lost Property like this.
  3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Hmm, that sounds dangerously like one of those settings that would stick whether defender was enabled or not... I'll check that out when I get back to work on monday.

I just checked the setting on my home laptop, windows defender is on, but that folder control option is disabled. I had to install a program to get a shortcut on my desktop, but it let me delete it without any hassle... It's a promising start :thumbup:

4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I'm seeing a flag in 'trend analysis' - MS is trying something but it is "ham-fisted".

It would be meaningful to create a dedicated sand boxed folder - but more importantly "Inform the customer" in simple and plain language - they were completely locking down all folders from external sources (email, weblink files, etc.).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  5. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

How can you stop installed programs having pop-up ads in the bottom right of windows?

I get PDF architect and Avira every bootup, commodo firewall and malwarebytes on occasion.

6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I get none - I only use 'malwarebytes' out of your list and none will "Start with Windows".

I use PDFXchange Viewer for PDFs.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Click start, type 'Notifications and Action settings' Click on that whenever it comes up. Under the notifications heading turn off 'get notifications from apps and other senders'. Or if you want a less sledge hammer like approach, scroll to the bottom of that menu and it gives you per app control.

8. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

You're not so evil :tired:

I went with the hammer because none of the programs I mentioned are specifically listed in that windows list :thumbup:

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Take it back! :p

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

so I got a clients PC with windows 8 ewww.. it had 'windows 10 upgrade assistant' on desktop so I ran it for giggles.. expecting to see 'upgrade no longer free' or something.. but it says windows 10 is free and currently downloading it.. is this going to download then ask for money or just another 'loophole' to get people onto the OS that makes them more $.

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It should be ok. Worst case, clean install it with 10 and use the key it has for 8, it'll activate just fine.

walker_2003 likes this.
  12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Was wondering this too.. so you can still just use any legit win 7/8 key to get win 10 for free?

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yep, have done several in the last few weeks just using win7 COA's, a couple for home premium and a couple for pro, all activated without issue.

walker_2003 likes this.
  14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sooo, checked my work pc, I can't get at that particular setting. We run 'webroot' antivirus, and the settings option for defender has been replaced by a link that takes you to webroot settings. I've taken a pretty deep dive on the workings of webroot an if there is a setting in there that causes this sort of issue I've not seen or heard of it. Might have to go digging for a registry setting or something for that controlled folder access and see if that helps.

15. power

power Member

can anyone see a new RSAT for 1803?

gonna just install 1709 - every one of these new versions i seem to have to reload RSAT anyway. I had the WS2016 before so it hardly matters I guess.

16. breno

breno Member

Can someone describe how Windows 10 activation works now? Im confused.

Here's the story:

My mate received from his in laws a laptop that was in Chinese (because their from China) and wasn't able to change language pack to English so he asked me to do a reinstall, so I did.
    I wiped all partitions and did a fresh of Win10 Home without typing in a key and I told him he'll have to get a key eventually.

Now he's just asked if he still has to get one because Windows is saying its activated.

I'm not sure what it's activated against because I setup a local user and didn't enter a key at install.

Is this some kind of temporary activation? Has it activated from some OEM reading info from the hardware?

17. miicah

miicah Member

At least with win8 it was able to read the OEM key from the BIOS.

18. power

power Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#SLIC

breno likes this.
  19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It can be from the hardware as above, but activation in 10 now gives you a 'digital license' that ties your hardware to your activation. If you wipe it or lose the hdd, you just reinstall, skip the product key entry and windows checks the hardware ID against it's servers. If it matches, you get reactivated with your digital license. If you instead have a retail copy bought from microsoft and you log in with your microsoft account, you'll be activated according to the entitlements of that license. Same sorta thing but it will work on new hardware as well, as long as you're inside the licensing terms. I think the only difference with any of it is if you have a retail copy bought from an 'authorised reseller' instead of microsoft, that will require you to re-enter your license key on new hardware.

breno likes this.
  20. breno

breno Member

Makes sense now, cheers guys :thumbup: