[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

It's too good to just sit and wait for it. Since I installed 1809 a couple of weeks ago, it's given me countless hours of troubleshooting fun :)

There's no rush, the site is useful if you want an ISO of any build of Windows 10, as well as the latest builds of Windows 8.1 and 7 SP1. I was just vouching for it, because it does look a bit dodgy. But yes, the final new version 1809 (tipped to be Build 17763.107) should be out next Patch Tuesday (i.e. next Wednesday our time).

2. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

I upgraded 4 machines here to 1809 as in-place upgrades. Another build I was doing at the time was installed from ISO downloaded via the adguard.net link. That ISO already had the fixes included - no need to download them via WU afterwards.

MS has been sitting on this for a while, most likely just to let the over-hyped drivel die down a bit :)

3. power

power Member

two high profile stuff ups, yeah they are just letting more people beta test. thanks.

4. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

That's what I said. Over-hyped. After all, they were both only bizarre little anomolies which most folk would be extremely unlikely to ever even encounter :D

5. power

power Member

this doesn't make them not exist. you can turn around and say didn't happen to me therefore no probs, but it doesn't make the problems non-existent.

6. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Of course it doesn't. It simply makes them undeserving of the excessive attention they attracted.

7. power

power Member

causing customer data loss is a cardinal sin.

they managed to do it with two bugs that had been already identified - so the profile was justified.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

So is manufacturing claims of widespread data losses which never actually occurred.

Sad thing is that IT journalism used to be a rather staid profession which could pride itself on integrity. Nowadays it just seems to be a hodgepodge amalgam of blogs, vlogs and flogs :p

9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Hello Windows 10, what goodies have you got for me today?

ActivationFault.jpg

Oooh, a widespread activation server fault downgrading a lot of Pro licenses to Home! You're just the gift that keeps on giving :)

10. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Just install 7 and be done with it. I don't know why there's 300 + pages of issues in this thread of 10 and yet people still persisting, yet alone the privacy concerns...

11. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Because 86 numbskulls on Reddit is counterbalanced by about a gazillion folks not having problems. Because people keep trolling the thread with drivel spouted by alarmist blowhards like Jason Evangelho. Because it's #firstworldproblem to turn molehills into mountains.

Because some people just see the world through different eyes. For me, it's only page 62.

12. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Because this is the Windows 10 MAGA thread, as the title says, not the going back to Windows 7 thread. We don't need any anti-Windows fake news here! :)

It looks like Microsoft has just (quietly) resolved the activation flaw. I was just able to reactivate and a lot of other people have also finally been able to in the past half hour or so. No official word from Microsoft on how/why this happened. I'm sure it probably only affected a couple of dozen noobs like me anyway, plus it's probably my own fault: Microsoft detected the fact that I'm not pro enough to use Windows 10 Pro, and automatically downgraded my license. That's how advanced Windows is becoming.

Catweazle likes this.
  13. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

^

Great post. Comedy gold. Especially liked this bit:

Yep, coz 'Pro' is only meant for people who are l33t, right? :lol:

14. power

power Member

right for one i don't remember anyone saying it was widespread? It made a big enough blip to be worth reporting and for the update to be pulled - fact.

IT journos just report shit, this was a data deletion bug in the wild. Sounds worth reporting to me? Are you suggesting IT journos not report IT news now??

Microsoft pulled the update (she's still not properly out there remember) admitted that a bug found by testers had not been patched and then patched it. So not an imaginary bug.

I really don't see why you have such a big problem with here, if anything you yourself blew it out of proportion by saying that because it's not effecting all users it's not a big deal.

Customer data deletion is and always has been the worst type of bug you can have, regardless of the scope. Having two in one update is pretty damn bad.

Microsoft above all else did the right thing and halted the update for the greater install base which inadvertently proved that pushing the update at the speed they did wasn't even that big of a priority in the first place.

Tell me what am I missing from sitting on 1803 until 1809 is out?

I along with many others hope that the fallout from this is perhaps a slowdown on the breakneck update speed - make the update robust and then push it, don't half test it and ignore your lower level bug reports.

Will the updates always be perfect, no of course not but they can be better. That's all anyone really wants.

oh and while we are keeping score there is a third bug breaking file association. It's not even a new bug either. Apparently it first surfaced in 1803 and isn't fixed yet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...-warnings-from-windows-insiders/#6c1cd877edee

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  15. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Quite the opposite. I'm saying that they need be more professional and accurate than to simply sensationalise insular nonsenses emanating from Reddit.

16. power

power Member

so to be clear microsoft pulling a major update is not newsworthy?

17. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Oh it's newsworthy. The drivel which led to it having to be pulled for PR purposes wasn't.

18. power

power Member

when you have two data deletion bugs you replicate the bug and pull the update quick smart - it's hardly drivel. especially when you find it already in other testing.

19. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

^

Meaningful perspective. It's a 'thing'.

"Two data deletion bugs"? Oh yes. If you really did find such things that would impact on private or commercial/corporate users going about their business as they should, then you'd certainly pull the product because of it. But these were simply bizarre anomolies which it would be extremely unlikely encountered in real-world operation, and under normal circumstances they'd simply need patch and move forward.

Except, of course, when they're nonsensically blown out of proportion and you gotta pull the product coz PR damage control.

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Internet hype machine in full effect.

Catweazle likes this.