[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Actually the main thing was the driver model changed substantially in vista and it was a complete shitshow for 2 years.
    After that (and sp2) it became one of the best OS's. Win7/8/10 driver models haven't changed substantially since then, which is the main reason 10's got such broad compatibility. The install process is fine, it's still one of the slowest OS's I've ever used.

2. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

About the only time 'slowness' even penetrates my consciousness nowadays is when I find myself operating a machine which is running from mechanical drive. :D

3. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Weird. But yes, mechanical drives are 99% of machines I fix. Not that win10 has any advantage in ssds over win7.

4. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

I'd think such a measurement would be an exercise conducted purely for the sake of numbers.

* comparison between mechanical HDD and SATA SSD is meaningful
    * comparison between SATA and NVMe SSDs is meaningful.
    * etc etc.

But comparison between successive OS versions on the same platform is effectively meaningless in comparison. Just a measurement for the sake of measuring :D

5. Perko

Perko Member

Not when you have people promoting a deprecated OS. I think a lot of the sluggish feeling that comes with 10 is due to shitty eye candy animations, but systems that are left running for long periods also seem to still get the intermittent issue where Cortana clogs up, and when you manually kill the process the PC goes back to being as good as gold.

The odd thing I find is that most of the PCs I see with good condition spinning rust in them "feel" better with 10 than 7, but flash storage is the opposite. But that could be 10's transition animation bullshit making it feel slower again.

6. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I have a very old system and I have no complaints about Windows 10's performance, it feels snappy and generally fine to me. Performance issues can generally be resolved with a bit of judicious tweaking. The biggest culprits in terms of sapping performance are background programs, especially those installed by the more intrusive software like iTunes, and most third party antivirus packages. They absolutely bog down I/O, both at startup, during app launches, and particularly in gaming.

7. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Not interested in a debate, just stating the facts. But get that same system with a mechanical drive and install a packaged Linux distro and you'll find that system will feel like a new machine.

Windows 10 is absolutely hopeless when it comes to mechanical HDD's, just how long after I see the desktop should it take before the system is responsive enough to be usable?

8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

No reason to doubt you. It's just not something a Windows machine user needs consider as a relevent factor is all.

Same deal for previous versions too, as far back as you care to go. Even more so when the Startup list hasn't been sensibly trimmed down and whatnot else. But hey. Startup can get annoying on SATA SSDs too, just to a lesser extent.

Not something I lose sleep over. Startup is something a person only need do every once in a blue moon anyway. Most of the time it's just tap a key or waggle the mouse, wake it up, and there it is ready to go.

9. flu!d

Try being a tech and working on Windows machines among other things, rebooting is a way of life and you're right, Windows has never coped with it on mechanical HDDs.

10. Will S

Will S Member

ok, the October ISO is now avaialable of the Windows Web Site...........have put it on a USB stick and not when I get of my lazy arse and record some details I will do a clean install of Win10

11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I’ve installed the updated update with no issues so far.

12. Will S

Will S Member

I may just go the update instead of clean install and play around till I kill something :)

[​IMG]

well it didnt like me

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  13. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

It should be fine. The main known issue with the update right now is that it can prevent some Win32 programs from being associated with certain default actions. Also, remember that I was updating from 1809 build 17763.55 to 17763.134, so it was a Cumulative Update that was installed on my system this morning, not the full reinstallation of Windows-style Feature Update that usually occurs. So that's why I didn't lose any of my customizations, nor experience any significant problems. YMMV.

14. Will S

Will S Member

well removing some apps like icue and Samsung Magician plus a few Hardware monitoring programs and will try again

edit: well it has now worked

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  15. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Just finished updating with the latest Cumulative Update. Prior to that the most recent update installed was 10/10, before the kneejerk 'withdraw from view' occurred. That 10/10 update (KB4464330) contained the fix for the 'delete profile prematurely on machines set to delete profiles after xx days' thingy. WU hasn't been offering updates since for Build 1809, unless Insider Channel was used. So the 13/11 Cumulative Update (KB4467708) is all the stuff since.

Nothing file-deletion related in it heh heh....

Associated KB article suggest that if the 'Can't set defaults' thingy is encountered, try doing it again as a possibly effective workaround.

16. flu!d

Which you most definately should not have to do just to apply an update of all things...

17. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Probs just coincidence really, rather than anything to do with the software removals. The "error during INSTALL_UPDATES" thingy is often triggered by settings for a few Services, and often overcome by changing them to 'Automatic'. But it can also be just a hiccup which self-corrects next time through. Or a shitty ISO or somesuch :D

18. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

This comes back to what I said earlier regarding the fact that Microsoft could roll out Windows 10 security updates and new features purely in the form of more frequent Cumulative Updates, rather than the giant headache that is the full-reinstall-of-Windows "feature updates" twice each year.

As an example, today's Cumulative Update for my 1809 build was pretty much perfect. I checked everything afterwards, and not a single setting, registry tweak, program or driver was changed. It is 100% fault free, and as far as I can tell, everything is exactly the way it was prior to the update.

Contrast that with the major "Feature Update" I did last month to get to 1809, which borked my audio, and cost me hours to re-implement all of my tweaks and customizations. What I didn't mention in my original post about my troubles in the Back to Windows 7 thread is that the worst was yet to come: a couple of days after installing the 1809 update and patching it, my 2 year-old ASUS PCE-AC56 PCI-E Wifi adapter starting dropping out, reaching the point where no matter what I did (and I did a lot of research) - change drivers, change settings, use safe mode, use a live CD - the Wifi was dead and wouldn't even connect to my router, much less the Internet. At one point I honestly thought the hardware had died somehow. I then tried a range of Windows system recovery methods and none of them would work either, bizarrely generating a range of errors for various recovery features which basically left me with one last option: I had to reformat and restore a full Windows system image and lo and behold, the Wifi adapter worked as normal again.

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

This happened to me with the onboard Intel wifi/bluetooth M.2 combo on my ITX AMD board. Only the BT component though, the wifi was just fine. It wasn't until after I'd already replaced the module with a similar, but newer version, Intel module that I realised the BT failing was most likely the 1809 update. It was several days after the update when I attempted to use the BT for the first time and realised that the BT device was simply gone, even in device manager. I believe it was the update, although it could of course have been a sudden hardware failure I guess. It just seems suspicious to me that only the BT component 'disappeared' on a combined device. I have had no issues with the later model module I installed in its place.

This, to be fair, is the only time I have EVER had a Windows update break anything on this or any other system I've ever owned, and even then, there is still the unlikely? possibility that it was simply a badly timed spontaneous hardware failure.

20. damn duck

damn duck Member

I hate the windows 10 settings interface. I like utilising old style control panel with ugly looking AD style windows to maintain the OS.

Oh and a sad face BSOD with a QR code that doesn't even have the stop code in it is retarded.