1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Absolutely no comparison. O&O Shutup doesn't run in the background at all times, it's a standalone program that you launch, configure then close.

So basically, all O&O can collect is, as that page you linked to states: your name, phone number, address, and email address (only if you're silly enough to enter these by creating an account - not necessary for using O&O Shutup), and the rest of the data they talk about relates to the data they collect if you use O&O Syspectr and server - which again does not apply to O&O Shutup.

/EDIT: Oh, and of course they may collect some data when you visit their website: your country of origin, your language preference, browser type, domain name, access time and corresponding website addresses. Totally normal, as most websites do this.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. power

power Member

and suggesting so borders on ludicrous.

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

4. power

power Member

my favourite part is right at the end - the end goal of course is to beat you into submission and make you give up.

5. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

A new cumulative update for Windows 10 1809 has just been released - it supposedly fixes the mapped drives failing to reconnect, as well as several other issues. Brings the build number up to 17763.168. I'm installing it now, fingers crossed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4469342/november292018kb4469342osbuild17763167

/EDIT: Not offering it to me via Windows Updates. I'll manually install it from here:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4469342

What could possibly go wrong? Pray for Mojo...

/EDIT 2: Installed, showing version 17763.168 as expected.

Untitled.jpg

Not sure if the patch actually fixes anything, but the fact that Windows appears to be booting up normally, plus I don't seem to have lost any data or had any settings changed, means I'm already ahead of the game. Good job Microsoft!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah. Good thing my windows machine is just a gaming machine these days.

7. power

power Member

don't tell me they are finally fixing this? This was introduced months ago in 1803 afaik. they just can't seem to get remoteapp right.

8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Oh god, I just got that update... Doesn't change the build number for me though. (running LTSC)

Read the note about it breaking nvidia stuff, so went to update the nvidia drivers just to be safe, but now they want to force me to install geforce experience as well? A quick google shows the new rushed (yet whql "tested" lol) drivers to be completely borked for a lot of people anyway.

I seriously give up. Think it's time to ditch the dual boot and just walk away for now. :/

9. power

power Member

stop updating every five minutes.

Semi-Annual Targeted is still on 1803.

10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

It was an auto update (KB4469342), I did recently (stupidly) "upgrade" from LTSB 2016 to LTSC 2019... Professional is bad enough, but even Enterprise is becoming a joke.

Either way, It's gone. If anything breaks now, it's all on me. lol

11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

But all the cool kids are doing it :(

According to the release notes, all this update breaks in relation to Nvidia drivers is Edge:

As with the garbled stuff Edge displays on my system, this is a non-issue for me :)

12. Will S

Will S Member

well the machine is now not blue screening after the clean install but how do you get rid of Microsft Cloud? Would like it removed permanently

13. ae00711

ae00711 Member

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

Surely...

15. Will S

Will S Member

anyone else get something similar

Welcome to Intel Customer Support!

Your Login ID: ######
    Your E-mail Address: #######@gmail.com

Only did a clean reinstall of win10 on Thursday so curious as to why I get an email with this?

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

17. Hater

Hater Member

lads what's the current cheapest way to get a legit 10 key?

18. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

A legit key, or a key that simply activates?

Surely if you see value in Windows 10 you're willing to pay retail?

19. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Any reason you need to buy a key and can't just upgrade an old Windows 7 or 8 license to 10 using the free loophole MS deliberately left to do so?

O&O shutup and Spybot antibeacon have been mentioned. However, I would strongly recommend against the use of any automated utility to just "do it all in a wink". There is no "right" setting for the privacy and telemetry features; it depends on your needs, and once again, you cannot disable all of the telemetry anyway, no matter what you do. Furthermore, if you do auto configure these settings, be prepared for some issues, as they can and will alter obscure Group Policy settings for example, which will cause all sorts of headaches when Windows Update stops working, or some other feature breaks.

Seriously, spend the hour or two going carefully through the Settings and Control Panel options one by one, supplemented with online research where necessary, and configure them properly according to your particular needs. Then, and only then, should you turn to a third party utility to alter settings you can't otherwise easily change.

Your system will perform better, and you will also have some idea of what's been changed and why, and hence can troubleshoot problems much better.

Just my 2c worth.

ae00711 likes this.
  20. ae00711

ae00711 Member

oh ok, I was confused, sorry, I thought that link was to additional settings that apps like O&O don't touch.

I have O&O and used it to configure how I want W10, cheers :thumbup: