[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

2. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Hrmmm not sure, but both PCs definitely needed like 6 manual reboots.
    Had another PC (some other higher end cpu at work that I didnt check) update with no problems.

Thinking it might be an i5 3000 series issue. Dono, but both PC's came good eventually....

3. OJR

OJR Member

Yeah a few guys on the PCEMR Facebook group are also reporting issues with a new patch.

4. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I've found 1809 updates knocking out wifi on multiple machines, but that seems to be a recurrent problem with windows 10

ae00711 likes this.
  5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yep, 1809 killed a wifi adapter for me. Had to buy a different adapter, the original no longer functioned at all.

6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

7. slamaa

slamaa Member

Hey guys, whats the best free anti virus / firewall security type software these days? just built a pc after 9 years of not having one and everything has changed.

Cheers

8. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I just stick with Windows Defender.

slamaa likes this.
  9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I thought this happened to me, because my ASUS PCI-e WiFi card stopped working after I installed 1809. I tried everything, drivers, registry editing, safe mode, Linux CD, etc. and it wouldn’t work. It couldn’t even connect to the router much less the internet. But I restored a full system image I’d taken a few days earlier with the Windows system imaging utility, and it instantly fixed the issue. Bizarre.

10. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I also run the free versions of;
    SuperAntiSpyware
    Malwarebytes
    SpywareBaster

Zenskas and slamaa like this.
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Windows couldn't even see mine.. It was working perfectly before the 1809 update, it restarted, and the adapter was just.. gone. Tried drivers etc but never bothered reinstalling. I wanted a better adapter anyway so I didn't pursue it much, just went and bought a new one, which worked perfectly out of the box. Both were M.2 onboard adapters, the newer one just more modern and powerful with a remote aerial, which I needed but but finding just a remote aerial without an adapter isn't easy. It was a perfect excuse for an upgrade, but yeah, it happened.

12. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Every time someone says to me, "ah give win10 a go", i come back to this thread.... Seriously, 5 years now and still a fucked OS.

ae00711 likes this.
  13. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

It’s really not.

14. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

They do have a point it has some serious failings at times - many updates are causing significant and critical catastrophic failures to many people. Any and all QA and QC has been phased out and pushed onto the users leading to very dodgy and flaky updates/releases getting rolled out.

I like the OS and touch wood have not had 'lose all DATA', WiFi drop in and out, etc. etc. on our 3 PCs at home but there are to many tales on forums about users who have.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  15. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I can't remember if mine totally disappeared or not. I think it still showed up in Device Manager, but it's the first time I've ever seen any hardware of mine become totally useless, even in safe mode, even in Linux, no matter what I did - and then suddenly work completely normally after a restore. It doesn't make any sense. It's this ASUS PCE-AC56 unit and it's been great. Has a separate magnetic base you can screw the antennae onto and position anywhere you want. Works a treat with my ASUS router - 10m from the router through several walls, glass, tile obstructions in 5GHz still gives me 47/18 from my 50/20 connection. I was so angry when I thought 1809 had ruined it. But since restoring the system image a while ago, and then building an entirely new system and doing a fresh install of 1809, it's had literally zero problems. So anyone else reading this, if you think Windows killed your Wi-Fi card or any other hardware component, don't get rid of it.

One of the things I keep coming back to is the fact that because MS forces people to do what are essentially in-place upgrade installs of Windows every 6 months, this in itself causes a lot of problems. If MS forced every Windows 7 or 8 user to do an in-place upgrade of their OS twice a year, I guarantee we'd see way more problems with those OSes too. It's a stupid policy. After a couple of years and 4 upgrade installs on top of each other, the OS is an absolute mess.

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

While I agree that there has been failings and faults it's hardly surprising given how many people use the o/s, how many different computers it's used on and how many people hate for hates sake. But still a bunch of forum users, even this forum, is hardly a fair representation of the world using Win10. Even after 435 pages how many unique uses are having problems? The same goes for most software packages that are popular. A small percentage of people with the complaint, a decent percentage of those helping and a large percentage of whingers trying to convince themselves that a product sucks because they think so.

Like many here I have installed win10 on plenty of machines and had very few issues. It sucks when there is issues but it sucked when Win7 had issues, it sucked when Win95 had issues and even sucked when Win3.1 had issues. I've had some mentioned here and this is one of the first places I look for a solution but I've had more issues with ASUS and Intel than I have had with win10 itself. At least Windows seems to fix the issues I've had, I've been waiting for 3 years for ASUS to fix their wifi issue in some laptops but they blame Intel, Intel blames them and neither seem to want to look for a fix.

GoneFishin22 and PsydFX like this.
  17. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I think this is an issue that many software companies are facing; with the rapid pace of technological change they can no longer afford to adhere to the more traditional major release cycle, and are needing to adopt this feature-update methodology to stay relevant.

18. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The issues that have been listed previously many pages back were affecting a wide range of users, irrespective of technical capacity, and far greater than a statistic anomaly. The 1809 complete DATA loss is just one catastrophic example. Moreover, it has been clearly stated that M$ has reduced and or completely stopped QC testing before release apart from being at the most rudimentary level.

There are whingers and whinners who will always want and need something to hate and complain about but this far exceeds just those individuals getting caught up in the catastrophic failures that are being experienced by many.

Personally in the early days I had to do at least 2-3 complete reinstalls after significant OS impairment, couldn't open Start menu for example.

Although they were a major frustration they did teach me about DATA storage and isolated drives for OS, etc.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    metamorphosis likes this.
  19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I wasn't suggesting such errors weren't wide spread, I didn't suffer from them but just reading here I could see people were. The problem with forums has always been that any topic no matter what the subject only needs half a dozen people to suffer a particular issue and the haters will start screaming that the problem is so wide spread every user has it. Once the haters get hold of it suddenly the topic gets blown out and it becomes hard to weed the shit from quality information. It's difficult to read threads like this because of the amount of bullshit from those with nothing more to say than how much they hate an O/S they haven't even used, they might not out number the genuine users with issues but their bullshit runs further and faster through every page making it hard to find the right solutions.

GoneFishin22 likes this.
  20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm still perfectly happy with 10. Ok, I did have the WiFi issue, but that's about the only notable problem I've ever had. I couldn't care less about the telemetry, I have no reason to be bothered really.
    I did however feel the need to change the GUI.. Start 10 does what I need. I hate the metro look, its fine for tablets but has no place on a desktop for me. In combination with Start 10, My 10 Pro works well for me. Its a shame I had to get a 3rd party app to make it the way I want it though.