[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Any 'serious and competent hacker' will not be deterred by the OS, this will only affect n00bs who are buying exploits of the dark web and have no capacity to understand or write their own.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Security and privacy are wars of attrition. It's not about adopting a binary position of "perfect" or "terrible" and nothing in between. It's about taking steps at every level to mitigate what you can, where you can, and gradually improve the situation.

It's fine to acknowledge the problems with modern hardware. They exist, and are worth our efforts to solve them AS WELL AS the OS problems we're facing. But that's not a reason to stop having concern for your choice of OS. It's certainly not a reason to tell people "What's the point? China pwned our mobos, we're all fucked, so accept Microsoft knowing your every move".

We still need to fight "serious and competent hackers" with whatever tools we have. The most important tools being education, awareness, and the combating of user apathy. But both the hardware and OS still matter too.

Bold Eagle likes this.
  3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

4. power

power Member

*insert unmaintained system here*

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

*insert newly unemployed IT guy here*

6. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I can wholeheartedly say that if an attacker has an option to go for a Windows system or say a PAX hardened Linux system they're gonna learn towards the Windows one.

There's always a way, but yeah, Windows has more research focused on exploitation than linux, and especially for say a PAX hardened kernel.

But a Linux system is more likely to have Apache and PHP which is its own funground of things that can be done.

TL;dr 'serious and competent hackers' don't buy exploits off the dark web because this isn't a tom clancy novel.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I personally cannot see why we have not developed our own hardware development industries out of necessity as a matter of state security. That every Fed Govt. Office PC and network point was built from parts that where all made in Australia. Moreover, that they only used an inhouse developed OS across an inhouse network, etc, etc.

8. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Because their risk model doesn't dictate it :)

Defence has a pretty rigorous assessment program for the important stuff.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Because Five Eyes.

And 10 years ago that phrase would have sounded completely tin-foil hat batshit insane. But today it's actually an official term publicly used by our combined governments, and that's surreal.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

After working for Fed. Govt for almost a decade the level of exposure, sheer incompetence and complete lack of DATA security awareness, to even have a sense of paranoia in development teams and at 'the back end' is absolutely non-existent with >50% of the team compositions being foreigner contractors all using their mobile phones and personal laptops in these spaces with ease.

Relying on the defence departments alone is doing nothing to keep this countries DATA safe.

There is a discussion on Five Eyes (and Fourteen Eyes) here:
    https://www.privacytools.io/

So although my earlier posts may have seemed apathetic I do have a 'healthy paranoia' and have a very cautious behavior in what exposure I create and the footprint I leave. I am still lucky enough to not have nor need a mobile and if and when I finally do it will be a 'dumb phone'.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    elvis likes this.
  11. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Haven't seen that one before, hmmmm
    This is a bit different - here no networks show up under wifi - the dialog just doesn't work even though device is active - replacing/uninstalling/etc the driver doesn't work - the only thing I've found that works is a reinstall of win10.

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

But what is the important stuff you would think defending the political parties servers and protect against the potential for democratic disruption would be pretty important and yet;
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-18/prime-minister-scott-morrison-cyber-attack-hackers/10821170
    This government (and I do mean all parties) are way to fucking dumb, lacks and complacent to even know what cyber security is (subs being built by a French company that had been shown to have been hacked) they have no meaningful sense of paranoia (but we stopped the boats is utterly meaningless) and have left Australia utterly exposed and are trying to play the most simplistic and utterly pathetic game of catch up and 'respond' to scenarios after the fact. They are completely devoid of any 'proactive' planning and preparation for cyber warfare that we are at every other countries mercy.

Most of Australia's critical infrastructure (water, transport, electricity) is so unsecured that it could be taken down by the 'n00b who bought an exploit of the dark web'.

13. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I don't recall saying their risk models were accurate ;)

Bold Eagle likes this.
  14. shredder

shredder Member

When a computer is a pure productivity tool, you want it to be as 'transparent' as possible. Maintenance is anathema. As are "workarounds".
    By the time we've reached "you responding, to my alternative analogy, which was in response to your original analogy", the levels of abstraction have brought us some distance from the intended arguments.

Nonetheless you've raised some questions. "Liberated" is just a broad term, with connections to the concept of free, freedom, self determination, etc. I hope this isn't a cop-out answer, but it's not really my place to personally revisit the myriad of ways (both practical and in principle) that it applies to the OS's in question.

Is "Bash better than using Windows Update?", a fairly specific question you ask. For a start, it's not really a relevant comparison. In Ubuntu you have the freedom to run or set up your updates any way you like, from "guided wizard during the OS install, to enable Automatic Updates, which is offered to all, just like it is in Windows", to "manual GUI", to "full manual control of all". Yes, in my experience all of those iterations have been "better" than the Windows equivalents. I simply chose the way which suits me personally.

Don't know about you, but I've spent a lot, lot, lot of hours over the decades fucking with Windows Update and related. Hours I should not have had to spend. Hours I will no longer ever again have to spend.
    There's not a single yes/no answer to those generalised questions. Just a ton of individual, circumstantial yeses and nos. The aggregate weighting of which, for your purposes, can only be determined by you.

A side point - it's not all about additionals - some of it, is about the things whose absence is a positive. (the frog's relief when the water suddenly returns to coolness :p)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  15. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

There's no need to debate this. I'll be trying Linux soon enough, so I'll find out for myself. I'll just say this: it better be the greatest thing since the juice box, or there will be hell to pay!

16. shredder

shredder Member

That's fine; any complaints and you have to fight elvis.

sammy_b0i likes this.
  17. ae00711

ae00711 Member

stay away from fedora
    go linux mint cinnamon

18. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I've been hearing different things, like maybe I should try Linux Floorpie or Zesty Vinaigrette ?

19. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I don't keep up with anything Linux.. tho I do know there are a buttload of distros out there...

I had to google.... smart ass

20. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

It’s part of the reason that people just stick with Windows, right?