[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. power

power Member

i've seen sfc /scannow do something once - ironically the underlying hardware was rooted so it was only a temporary thing and of no real use.

the only people that recommend it specifically have no idea or are on microsoft's beyond useless boards with "Microsoft MVP" under their names.

2. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Same here. I let my install manage itself re updating.

I think I read/heard/saw somewhere you need to click the Check for Updates button manually for it to pull down 1809. That way MS isn't liable if it fucks up? /shrugs

power likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I never bothered with it after the first few times of it not working to fix anything.

4. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Same here - it's just faster to do a repair install of the latest win10 ver now.

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Had to do this for a Windows 10 black-screen boot issue recently, sfc said everything was fine, fix boot wizard did nothing.
    Sure it keeps their files, but all the applications were toast and had to be re-installed.

6. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

From memory I think it makes a difference whether you boot from the install media or run it from windows - also, if you're going back to a previous version of win10 you don't get some of the options

7. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Except this actually rectifies a number of issues under Windows, speaking from experience.

8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

OK well it seems I've touched a raw nerve here by daring to mention sfc :)

Let's remember, the initial problem was described as:

The official solution, from Microsoft's own Help documentation Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool (not the godawful community forums) is to use DISM and Scannow.

Your beef is with Microsoft, not with me guys. Running DISM and SFC /scannow in this instance is warranted, because if Windows Update and/or any of its packages are corrupted, it can't repair itself without these commands. And I for one am not going to do a refresh or reinstall of Windows for want of running a 10 minute scan ;)

9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

You haven't hit a raw nerve. It's just that, like Apple with their PRAM and SFC resets, Microsoft always state 'use sfc /scannow' like it usually fixes everything and therefore should be used as a first line diagnosis step - The reality is that, in my experience, sfc /scannow usually rectifies nothing.

In relation to failed updates, sfc /scannow is even less useful that the Windows 10 recovery environment - 9 times out of 10 that doesn't work either.

The best thing you can do if you can hopefully at least boot to CMD within the failed Windows install, is to restart the installer from USB and hope it overwrites and repairs itself.

10. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I understand. What I'm saying is that in this rare instance - when Windows Update doesn't function properly - the DISM+SFC combo can actually work. Because the one component in Windows that can't auto update/repair if its corrupted is Windows Update. I've also seen the Windows Startup Repair in the Recovery Environment actually work to repair MBR corruption, without a user needing to know how to run Bootrec commands.

I certainly wouldn't recommend running the Windows installer, or doing a Windows Refresh, in the first instance for these two common issues, as they're more likely to make an even bigger mess on a home system. Same reason I hate the feature updates - because they do an in-place upgrade install on top of an existing install. If Windows is at the point where it needs to be reinstalled, then a clean install is really the way to go. In business environments, sure, you can either refresh or even reimage, but not on a home system where you want optimal performance. The file fragments, orphaned Registry entries, mis-matched driver components, etc. from anything other than a clean install will inevitably cause even more problems. That's just my experience. And I have a PhD in computers from a three week correspondence course I did at BANGIT (Bangalore Institute of Technology)

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

:thumbup: :lol:

12. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

tbf sfc is only a tool to check for missing and corrupt files.

Which it does well enough.

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

So your the bastard who keeps ringing the landline and saying there's something wrong with my PC..........

14. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

That's a nice attitude... do you want me to fix the virus we've detected on your system or not?

Bold Eagle likes this.
  15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Do you really need ALL of my passwords though?

16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I have never, once, had windows repair fix a corrupt update (which happens far too often) - At best it just loops over and over saying repair failed. Combined with SFC I may as well put the PC in the middle of the room and dance a jig, it'd work just as well.

DSIM is really not that dissimilar from opening a CMD prompt and running the update from install media again. Nothing can make a bigger mess than the Windows 10 updater itself.

At least 'apt get install -f' rectifies 90% of my dependency issues under Ubuntu on the very rare occasion I experience them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

But does it game.........................................gaming is the primary reason t00ns stick with Windows.
    1) gaming,
    2) stupidity, and
    3) laziness to learn a new OS.

flu!d likes this.
  18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I game, I love gaming when I get the time.

I run Linux.

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

But what games? That is the subjective variable/value. We both know the latest BF is not running on Linux (yet) and other "ports" that are are a 'dog's breakfasts' that could be comparable with a console?

20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I can play ~75% of my library and wouldn't play the BF series if you actually paid me to play them.

The trade off related to ~25% of my library, of which 15% I no longer play anyway, is more than worth it to avoid the issues surrounding Windows 10 - In fact, these days I actually prefer supporting the smaller Indie developers, which I would do if I was running Windows anyway. So running Linux makes perfect sense.

Now, back on topic.