[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. millsy

millsy Member

I'm idling ~112 on my work laptop with a pretty standard workload. 200 at fresh boot would be a lot. Don't forget every chrome / firefox tab is a new process too, so if you're a tab hoarder that'll not help.

2. Perko

Perko Member

There's a history here. Whether it's hardware of software isn't immediately clear.

3. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

There should at least some baseline analysis then.

Task Manager>>Startup (tab) how many things are enabled? I have 9 listed but only 4 enabled.

DL and run Process Explorer:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
    That will give you a count of processes running. I actually have 114 with 1.60% CPU Usage.

Google Chrome is a DATA farming bloatware piece of shit and I would try something else - FireFox gets a good run down and configuration guide here and it is better than TOR (to slow) and Brave (still being worked out):
    https://www.privacytools.io/

5. Perko

Perko Member

Oh you mean like this:

God I wish you'd read posts before you go off on your rants.

Bold Eagle likes this.
  6. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

This is why I recommend autoruns, because it does this most efficiently. It lists all of the actual drivers, services, etc. being loaded at startup in detail on one screen under its Everything tab. You can set it to hide necessary Windows system software, thus showing only third party and unnecessary Windows programs. E.g., on my system, it looks like this:

Untitled.jpg

This is the minimum set of programs and drivers I need for my system to function the way I want, I've removed a lot of unnecessary stuff. Some things can't be disabled (e.g. ASUSUpdateCheck, which just reappears if it's removed or unticked - thanks ASUS!) so I replaced it with a dummy file. Some items I just want to temporarily disable as I may need them in the future (e.g. one of the Intel WiFi drivers). You can right-click on each item and launch a Google search for it if you're unsure what it relates to. Autoruns is an MS utility that was created by Mark Russinovich, who is a Microsoft Technical Fellow.

And yes, background programs of any kind can cause stuttering in games. You want as few of these as possible, for a range of reasons; most are totally unnecessary.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Um, there is a massive difference between Task Manager and Process Explorer - 1 actually gives you counts and a far superior outlay. So yes you may have suggested the method first but with a very coarse tool at best - I did introduce something far superior.

Take it as a rant (but I'd suggest you look up the meaning of that word rather than coming across as some form of drama queen) if you need to - I would infer it complimented your suggestion!

Autoruns and Process Explorer are the meaningful tools.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  8. Perko

Perko Member

I'm sure they are if you're cutting a system to the bone to bench it. Most people in this thread and ones like it just want shit to work with the least effort possible, which is why they use shitty OSes in the first place.

The biggest culprit I've seen for thrashing storage and CPU and just being a shit lately is the Delivery Optimization Engine thing when the setting is on in Windows Update.
    Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced Options>Delivery Optimization>Allow downloads from other PCs -Off. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

9. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Another hidden culprit is often the Application Experience tasks under task scheduler/Windows/Application Experience.
    Oftne find them eating things up on new installs.

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

So I found an app called process lasso that allows you to control a process' affinity... very good!

11. Perko

Perko Member

I really think the best thing you can do in your situation is not install random apps. What you're describing with hard locks suggests a hardware issue to me, but if the stuttery stuff is unrelated, the cleaner your OS environment, the better to narrow it down.

I had annoying hard locks on cold boots and wake from sleep events, and it turned out to be my SSD, which ultimately died after 3 years of just putting up with it because it was a predictable/repeatable issue that I didn't have enough hardware on hand to check out for a long time.

ChinoPD likes this.
  12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I am using an 860 EVO 1TB and my issues are tied to 1 game so i doubt it's hardware.

13. Perko

Perko Member

I was using a 950 Pro, (and Samsung are sending me a 970 Pro with the same capacity as a replacement, good dudez), hasn't the stuttery stuff been going on for a while?

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

it's really just anthem that crashes and division 2 stutters.

OS is 950 Pro, game drive is 860 EVO

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Frankly, from the little I have seen so far I would indicate yours is a GPU Driver issue and settings affinity/priority to games/activities.

nVidia method:
    - Open nVidia Control Panel,
    - Manage 3D settings,
    - Program Settings

Select the program to customise, you will have to do it for each and every game. Any and all games are set to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' creating a personal profile for each.

Any time the game is launched the GPU is loading at maximum rather than "application controlled' which can and will be confused when multiple applications are running.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  16. Perko

Perko Member

Interesting, my 950 Pro didn't like anthem when I first tried it either, then it died on the next reboot. Have you tried swapping the game onto the drive it isn't on? Origin has that function if you right click on the game in your library.

17. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

done that long time ago.

My OS is on the 950 Pro, Anthem is on the 960 EVO. I keep all games on the 960 EVO. But the anthem hard crashing PCs is experienced by a lot of other people.

EDIT: should I get a new SSD?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  18. Perko

Perko Member

I wouldn't yet, my issues with my 950 went back to when I bought it. If you've got the space on the 950, it could still be worth moving your anthem install onto it to see whether it has any effect. Only other thing could be to swap drive roles if/when you reinstall Windows.

19. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Has anyone noticed that Microsoft's NTP server is broken since today (Sunday)?
    Last night, I had my Windows laptop/tablet up and running with normal clock, but come this morning, the time was ahead by 10 minutes. I tried fixing it via the new Windows 10 interface features, but wouldn't work. (I've since turned off the tablet)
    This evening, when I got my desktop back up (after house move), the time was a whole hour ahead (DLS). Turning auto time setting off and on didn't fix it, in fact it failed. I tried resyncing with Microsoft's NTP server, which failed, but when I switched to something like pool.ntp.org, it was fixed in an instant...

20. Perko

Perko Member

People running a few DCs will notice if they're not set up right lol.