[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

ae00711 likes this.
  2. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

PC finally updated from 1803 to 1903 yesterday. Took around a half hour all up with a few restarts.

No hiccups. Settings all seem to have remained the same. Pretty painless :thumbup:

That start menu does look pretty horrendous compared to what's there currently. Figure that I spend 3/5ths of fuck all time actually looking at the start menu, I won't be too fussed though.

3. Perko

Perko Member

So it's got a search bar and a poorly aligned user profile pic added, and it's now the end of the world?
    1803 wAs ThE bEsT oS m$ eVeR mAdE.

It's barely any different to what's in it now. Imagine it with your colour scheme.

When has Windows ever had that to any real degree?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yes. Windows and KDE have been playing leapfrog for ages in visual aesthetic. Don't tell fans of either camp that though, as they'll lose their minds. :lol:

(Why do you think I use KDE as the desktop environment of choice when training/converting Windows users across to Linux? ;) )

It's clear to me the scariest thing in the world to most people is change. Doesn't matter from what, to what. Change something, and people just freak the hell out.

Computers are easy. People are a PITA.

well.gif

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    flu!d and Perko like this.
  5. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

6. Recharge

Recharge Member

my disagreement with an ascetic I don't like or appreciate is what exactly?

7. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I can appreciate what Microsoft are trying to do with the start menu, which isn't something I say very often; However, I agree with you, that example is pretty ugly - However, I can also appreciate that's it's most likely pretty beta also.
    Having said that, considering Microsoft seem to want their desktop OS to become a touch OS so they can claim to own the mobile market they lost by flogging off laptops with 360 degree hinges and permanently attached keyboards - I highly doubt that Start Menu will ever become a reality.

8. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I feel I'm OK with the draft of the new start menu. I find myself using the search bar more often these days anyway, but just annoys me when the searching is not accurate. Simply typing in "updates" or "about" takes more than 1 go to give me the result I want, if any at all.

9. millsy

millsy Member

i find myself using start more with the changes in win10 and search than I ever did, used to just use shortcuts or whatever but it's just as fast to winkey + supermadl33tapp + enter

Dilbery likes this.
  10. Perko

Perko Member

As someone who only uses about 3 applications that aren't load on start up, I just taskbar launch like a Mac pleb.

Hotrod2go and Dilbery like this.
  11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I've experienced this. I've also experienced a situation on many, many occasions across multiple machines where you click start, start typing only to find there's absolutely no output on the screen as a result of what you're typing. So you click Start, click Start again and begin typing and all of a sudden the search feature awakens from it's eternal slumber to actually service your request.

12. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah it's been like that since the very first release, at least for me. I find if it doesn't find something at all I am in the habit of doing it again, not good!

13. power

power Member

i have literally become accustomed to hitting the windows key and typing the application name (since Vista), so i'm like a mac finder pleb.

14. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I just still use StarDock (or whatever it's called) which is just a shortcut launcher for all my main apps rather than having to navigate through the start menu.

15. millsy

millsy Member

Worth noting I was setting up OSX for the first time in about... 8 years today and at first login it encouraged me to use an online account, admittedly fair easier than MS to opt out of though (was internet connected when started).

upload_2019-8-5_11-47-22.png

(don't @ me about the screen, not my computer lol)

16. power

power Member

apple users should use the online accounts if you ask me, hell a lot of windows users should as well.

Dilbery likes this.
  17. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I don't like the file backup features of either product, whether it be iCloud or whatever the Microsoft equivalent is called. It makes backing up user profiles a nightmare as they both try to 'optimize' storage and you therefore have no idea just what is stored in the cloud and what is stored locally.

Furthermore, Microsoft accounts are hacked all the time. The number of times I've had to recover someone's account because their Microsoft Account was hacked and it's the account that is linked to their profile under Windows is ridiculous.

18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Under Windows 10 Home with the cloud based OOBE, you can't opt out of the Microsoft Account creation - The option simply doesn't exist and if you use Ethernet there's no option to do an offline install, the installer just goes straight into Microsoft Account creation.

19. millsy

millsy Member

I think you're reading into this more than was intended, I was merely pointing out that apple is starting to do similar, and as very clearly pointed out, it's far easier to opt out of than Windows.

20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

That's been the case under Apple since El Capitan from memory.

[EDIT] Furthermore, I'm not reading too far into anything. I'm simply stating that Apple still provides the option to skip creating an Apple ID to log into your Mac, under Windows 10 Home using Ethernet when installing this is not possible if the installer chooses to use the cloud based OOBE.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019