[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Hah no I meant I wasn't trying to draw a conclusion on whether or not windows was doing the right thing, just that I was surprised apple did similar.

Though I've gotta say now I have a business live account I'm pretty tempted to start using the MS Live login, have to do some more reading :) I do agree it's very shit that you need to rip out the network cable to get the option of not using a local account. I've gotta reinstall pro on my laptop soon, I'll update how that goes and if I need to unplug cable.

2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

It's only regarding Windows 10 Home. If you're not using Windows 10 Home it's a non issue.

3. tired

tired Member

I installed Windows 10 Professional OEM earlier this evening. I had to pull the ethernet cable from the back of the pc in order to get the offline account option to show up. Wasn't amused. So long as I can continue to work around it, I'll take a slow breath and forge ahead.

flu!d likes this.
  4. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

So the issue is present under Windows 10 Professional as well now? Not just Windows 10 Home?

5. power

power Member

this a 1903 thing?

i can't see this being a thing if it is for long - what if you have no network driver???

this would stop online AND offline accounts. nah not buying it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They are trying to make it as hard as possible ; )

7. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

So... what is this offline account thing?

Are they trying to push everyone into some sort of MS controlled mega-domain?

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They don't want you setting it offline or without an account. There was something posted around here a short while back from a member.

9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

The version is irrelevant, the OOBE section of the installer where account creation is handled is cloud based so Microsoft can make changes on the fly. If connected online during installation you may get the cloud based OOBE, you may not - However, one thing I have noticed since the first time I ever noticed the installer's OOBE was cloud based is that usually the cloud based OOBE makes it's way into the offline OOBE as time goes on.

I thought it was just Windows 10 Home that was affected, that's what official Microsoft documentation states. If it's progressed into Professional I'd say there's a fair chance it may make it's way into the offline OOBE meaning the old excuse of no internet is a relic of the past considering consumer variants of Windows 10.

10. millsy

millsy Member

Interesting stuff, time to kick up a fuss I say, it's hit the point!

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Sometimes wireless drivers won't be present until after an install and then a M$ update. That is, how is a wireless only device supposed undertake an install?

I suppose Enterprise images will have to be an exception and or have the activation injected into the ISO?

What about service tech having to do a full OS reinstall for customers on their clients what are they supposed to do?!? I am going to find out on Sunday/Monday as I swap in a SSD into a laptop and do an install after the HDD has been spitting errors.

I can see this leading to 1million+ "frivolous M$ burner" accounts.

12. tired

tired Member

Just fyi it was v1903. I don't want or need an online sign-in account. I have the option should I need one in the future. I would like to have the option for an offline account without MS enforcing a policy (once again) for it's own benefit and not for that of paying customers like moi.

If the offline option goes away (no workarounds) then so does my interest in paying them. They won't see another cent out of me if they continue further down this road of pure selfishness. I am tied to this computer and have no interest in being tied to signing in to a remote computer in order to use my local computer.

Have their authentication servers ever kept people from signing-in to their own computers?

13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

No internet, no install when it comes to consumer variants of Windows 10. Honestly, the age old excuse of no internet is pretty unrealistic these days.

My guess is Microsoft Account's will eventually be tied to subscription based models regarding Windows 10 consumer variants while more of the functionality of Windows 10 is tied to Microsoft's more profitable cloud based division.

The feature is also present under 1809 install media created directly from Microsoft using the official Media Creation Tool.

14. tired

tired Member

I have no interest in subscribing to using an OS but I am sure there are others who'd welcome it. I ain't one of them and I'd really appreciate the choice to keep it that way.

I don't think MS are as interested in offering me choices, as they are in enforcing what seems to be their will to limit them going forward.

I was going to say I hope sanity prevails but I'd just make my sides hurt :lol:

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Bring on the Linux gaming build.......bye bye M$.........................

millen likes this.
  16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Microsoft see you as a cash cow, they haven't been interested in you for a very, very long time now. They know they can do whatever they want and you'll have no choice but to suck it up as their OS is installed out the box on every OEM device sold.

But every time someone highlights this, Windows users loose their minds retaliating with what can only be described as pure aggression.

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I can see a massive proliferation of MS burner accounts. I was working on a Chromebook today and made 5-6 gmail accounts for whatever reasons into the future and I can see the same thing will occur.

18. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Aaah!
    Xbox Live.

flu!d likes this.
  19. power

power Member

it's gonna be GFWL all over again!

20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

When you have kids that gawd damn subscription becomes the bane of your existence!