[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

This could be something serious and I am going to try and find other sources......

Microsoft warns Windows 10 users to update immediately
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/14/tech/windows-10-microsoft-security-update-trnd/index.html
    Microsoft Warning Impacts 800M Windows 10 Computers
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ritical-warning-upgrade-windows/#45d582e07e1b

https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/201...n-remote-desktop-services-cve-2019-1181-1182/

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I stupidly did this at 12am and spent the next hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't get past the loading screen before login.

Luckily after booting into safe mode it automatically reverted the update.

Thanks Microsoft :tired:

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Did a fresh install of Win10 today on an impaired PC that had a SSD swap over - local account was available. Set the client up with a local account.

4. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Are you aware of how the cloud based OOBE works? There is instances where the cloud based OOBE will not be used, even when connected online during install.

I find it surprising how Windows users don't know how the Windows 10 installer works..

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

During the install I always select "Not right now" for the get updates, drivers and optional features so just allowing the ISO files for the install and then undertake updates after the process has completed. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

It made no attempts for a network handshake until after Windows was installed and then it asked for a wireless password.

6. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

7. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

If you are connected to a network while installing Windows there is, in my experience, roughly a one in seven chance you'll get the online OOBE - If you're connected to Ethernet you will not be asked to connect to a network, the installer will just go online. If you get the latest OOBE chances are you will not be able to create a local account under Windows 10 Home and apparently Windows 10 Professional.

The OOBE portion of the installer, the part of the installer that deals with account creation, is cloud based. This way MS can make changes to the installer on the fly.

8. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I did a clean install of W10 Pro on a new m.2 SSD over the weekend, and was able to activate with a Windows 7 Pro key! :D (The key was legit. It was from an over-the-counter single licence CD purchased years ago that was never used.)

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I would and will try to ensure any client rebuilds have no-network connection. If the customer want's their own account that is something they can do at a later stage it is an annoyance during the setup phase.

10. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

1903 dropped recently. Pushing the update to three of my boxes. Fingers crossed nothing is broken. Time to recheck privacy and update settings again just in case some dodgy settings have reset themselves again.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

ChinoPD likes this.
  12. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Thanks champ, checking now. There were a couple of new settings I've never seen before. Just a couple of background apps set to run, and another minor setting which I disabled. Otherwise, looks fine. Not gaming much currently, will test next time I run something.

Just checked, still enabled.

Didn't muck around with my devices either which is good to see.

Also somehow, remote assistance and system restore were enabled. Disabled both.

Voice activation, disabled. Turn on fast startup, disabled. And a few other minor things.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  13. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

How can I open a .dmp file without using 3rd party app?
    Net search steers me towards numerous apps to do this, not what I'm looking for... if this is even possible to avoid?

Thanks.

14. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Bold Eagle and Hotrod2go like this.
  15. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Thanks :), looks like MS think end users are too stupid to read it in notepad or something. Great! :rolleyes:

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  17. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

It's easy enough to follow the bread crumbs. Are your crashes replicable? Might be a clue there.

18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Has anyone come across this before? Bloody Windows update is a hand grenade, come 3:00 yesterday all of a sudden I got three calls in a row all related to failed Windows 10 updates.

I've tried deleting the user profile in registry, as can be seen I tried sfc /scannow and as always it was bloody useless and I've performed a chkdsk - I even tried system restore to an earlier date, which surprisingly did nothing useful at all.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I go creating a new profile and transferring user data over, I just don't want to deal with the client's emails/contacts on a Friday.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  19. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I'm not sure since a while I worked on SOE related things but the order I would do things are:
    • Login as admin
    • Backup (rename) profile dir (app data, docs, etc source will be here)
    • Delete profile in registry
    • Log out as admin, reboot, get new user to log in so that new profile dir gets created
    • copy desired files from backup/source to new profile

20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Try this;
    https://www.repairwin.com/fix-we-cant-sign-into-your-account-windows-10/