[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

TLDW: Sacked most of the testers, replaced the actual hardware with VMs, use user reports and limited telemetry for diagnostics, really don't have any way to tell if they've fixed something.

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

which is why windows 10 is such a pile of shit. except for those it works for who deny anyone else having issues ;)

3. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Confirming: newer versions of the Windows 10 1903 installer do not allow for a local account if you are connected to the internet, when doing a clean install.
    In the "learn more" link on the page it tells you "if you don't want a microsoft account, don't worry! you can remove it once you're in windows". Thanks, I think not.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  4. Recharge

Recharge Member

yea, screw that I'm not making an account to install and OS....

5. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I made this mistake during a fresh install of Win 10 Pro from a newly acquisition'ed Dell XPS 13 (9380) and had to restart the process and disable wi-fi to prevent Intarwebz access.

6. millsy

millsy Member

Yep can confirm I experienced the same, didn't connect to wifi and all good. Annoying!

7. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Yeah it's a bitch, because if you actually connect to wifi by the time you get to account creation, you can't go back and you have to start the entire process all over again from scratch. If I quit my job, at this stage a major factor will be because of how frustrating win10 is to work with, when you can see immediately how it would be so much better.

8. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Yeah, 1903 has really fucked up the whole local account/extra MS account security thing. When I created a brand new Windows 10 on my PC, I was compelled to setup a PIN which I didn't want to have to to do, but it turned out I could easily just re-input my MS account password in the same fashion and still work, but this was not obvious. I found that out when I was googling how to bypass the PIN requirement.

It's stupid shit like this why the Linux community is growing.

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

For quick setups I unplug the network when it prompts for pin setup, then it says "try again later" and then I run a powershell script to strip out the feature/requirement

10. domsmith

domsmith Member

unplug the network connection and enter no password to avoid the security questions

11. g12345567

g12345567 Member

A clean install of 1903 went fine for me. Its just that I used my MS account to setup during installation. Whilst I liked that it grabbed all my settings and preferences that were synced to by Microsoft account. What annoyed me most was the fact I wasn't able to set a user name for login. Instead it defaults to the first four characters linked to your Microsoft account for both the default user name and folder. And forces the PIN number on you. Which can easily be removed later. Had to spend a while manually changing user folder and name to something I actually wanted.

Also Windows 1903 with updates installed has lots of problems with wi-fi devices on my home network. Especially when uploading files. Was previously running Windows 1809 and even with all the updates installed. Never had any problems with wi-fi. Did notice that Windows uses outdated drivers for many of the hardware peripherals. Have since gone an updated them. Mainly the onboard Realtek lan and HD audio along with USB Broadcom bluetooth adapter. I found the best place to get the last drivers is Station-Drivers. With the site newest driver version being at the bottom of the list.

12. callan

callan Member

TO bypass the requirement for an MS account you'll need to run the install with your network disconnected.

Callan

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

So my computer, in attempting to do the 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903' has shat bricks.
    and now takes an hour of trying to boot to even get a video signal.

If they're going to TRY and force updates people didn't ask for, it'd be REALLY nice if they didn't brick the whole god damn thing.
    Windows 10 has been a mostly pleasant experience. Aside from FUCKING UPDATES.
    I say no.. they say, FUCK YOU! HERE THEY ARE, AT THE MOST ANNOYING FUCKING TIME POSSIBLE!!!
    so I finally give up, and say just do your fucking update...
    CANNOT UPDATE.. RESETTING FUCKING ANYWAY... OOP NO VIDEO NOW.. FUCK YOU!

I think the way to make windows 10 great is to just deprive it, and yourself of internet. Then it works amazingly.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Who's saying there are zero issues? Pretty sure the running message here is, and I quote, "it's the least worst Windows operating system ever".

That's a far cry from saying it's excellent. A punch in the arm is "less worse" than a kick in the balls. That's about the upper level of positivity I have for Windows, today or any time in the last 34 years I've been using it, personally and professionally.

And with that in mind... 88 days to end of life. Got my popcorn ready. :)

Bold Eagle likes this.
  15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Fixed that for you...............

elvis likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I love computing nostalgia. Looking back on software of ye olde days is a hobby of mine.

Man, you should have seen the outrage when Windows 2000 was released. "Worst Microsoft OS ever" they said. "Can't even play Direct X games properly" they said. "Will be a failure and die off" they said.

Yeah, nah. A service pack or two later, and it was all fixed.

Then XP, then the same complaints. Then the same sorts fixes. Ditto for Win7.

Same old "outrage, fix, forget" cycle, over and over and over...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    -- George Santayana

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Make a bootable Win10 1903 ISO and do an in-place install and stop the pain. Do have it disconnected from the net and to do updates later. Controlling the updates, when you want them is far superior to having updates "pushed" on you as you are noticing - take back some form of control.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

If anything computer updating and then not booting reliably made me get off my ass and do a backup. (Last one was 18 months ago)

I will be doing a fresh current install soon... or just never turn it off.

19. power

power Member

all it's done is re-inforced my practice of keeping my installs clean and yes - important shit backed up and not on OS drives.

the people this really kills, those with a shitshow rather than an install and incessant "tweakers".

20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I had a shit show recently (partition table corruption) and now have 2 copies of 'All DATA' (including critical) and 4 copies of critical DATA on both internal and external devices. SynchbackFree makes it just to easy to do backups (of only file changes);
    https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

You don't need to do a fresh install - an in-place install is almost as good and saves having to do all of those application re-installs at a later time. If you are going the fresh install route you should consider generating a list of all currently installed software to act as a checklist for the fresh install;
    https://www.howtogeek.com/165293/ho...e-installed-on-your-pc-with-a-single-command/

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.