[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I used to be good with backups (online, offline, onsite and offsite) then got lazy.
    Haven’t had a clean install in 6 years, so won’t hurt anything.

I won’t need a checklist of programs, I only use a dozen.

I guess after 7 and early days of 10, I never had major issues so got lazy, then the updates happened.. ahah and all my problems with 10 are update related but the point where I simply can’t get video at all for an hour, is the solid reminder that I need to get my shit together.

2. sheezymaneezy

sheezymaneezy Member

Has anyone had any issues with the latest update not waking from sleep, or having issues actually turning on?

3. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Is there a lot of issue with every Windows 10 patching? Every month I see article about warning and things breaking caused by the patch.

With Windows 7 EOL I am not looking forward with upgrade since my home have 4 PC

4. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I was very surprised to see my brother's 2017 machine with a hefty graphics card being outperformed by my 2013 machine with a mid-tier card,
    both for general windows operation and games. Both have ssd drives. His is on win10 1803, mines on win7.

5. kogi

kogi Member

Generally, it's fine. I would hold off on the "Feature Updates" for while

Bold Eagle likes this.
  6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Not with the monthly patches (patch Tuesday) but with the Feature update releases.......I always hold back for at least a month and allow things to filter through.

7. Recharge

Recharge Member

enterprise LTSC. that's the only way to avoid the majority of shitery.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Only time I've seen this is on a laptop where someone chose shutdown and then immediately closed the laptop and caused some weird sleep/shutdown half state.

To fix it, I forced a full shutdown from the command line (cmd.exe -> shutdown /f /s /t 01), let the thing power down, then powered up. After that, sleep worked properly again.

Also worth checking the system is in normal startup mode in msconfig.

Anecdotally, across 400+ systems I deal with currently, I've not seen the issues that are "documented" in these articles.

Also worth mentioning these articles tend to cite Reddit as their source (the sole arbiter of truth in 2019), and don't include detailed information about how the bugs happen nor actual numbers. I'd love it if some actual root cause analysis could be done. It's a bit like getting support tickets from end users that report "everything's broken", then after asking for details, 24 hours later getting an update that says "never mind".

9. millsy

millsy Member

Vocal minority and such. Not gonna deny there's been QC issues, but you're almost exclusively copping anecdotal evidence from pissed off people, and not a more realistic view.

In my household atm there's about 9 machines running 1903, one is on 1803 because of a vmware issue, at least one of those was upgraded from win7 and one is upgraded from win8, no issues yet.

10. power

power Member

to me 10 just doesn't feel like a cohesive OS, it feels cobbled together and unfinished. one foot in the past and another in the future. and it has since day dot.

7 was the opposite of this, everything was cohesive and felt finished out of the box. it was essentially an improved and streamlined version of Vista.

does 10 work? yes mostly. does it piss me off every now and again? uh yes it does.

Each and every MS OS has had it's pluses and minuses 10 has plenty of pluses, but it also has more minuses than 7 did. it just doesn't balance out.

flu!d likes this.
  11. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah the inconsistent UI is annoying, 1903 is feeling closer though, finally, after like a thousand years :lol:

Tabbed console with powershell in one, cmd in another and bash in a third is just gravy though, marvellous.

12. power

power Member

i'm just kind of over the settings menus being incomplete. they need to go all in.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The last one, especially, means pretty exciting things where I currently am for end users, and the browning of undies for an unprepared corporate IT department.

I keep telling all these Windows monkeys to stop ignoring BASH. Don't make me break out the "I told you so" stick.

Honestly, this whole idea is out dated.

The amount of different things an OS does for different people is astounding. The idea that it needs to be "everything and the kitchen sink" for all users while simultaneously being "the one true way" to use a computer is pure cognitive dissonance.

Why does the average Windows user hate macOS? Ask them, and you'll get things like "doesn't offer options for control" or "tries to force me to do things in a specific way". At the same time, the criticism for Windows 10 is that it *doesn't* take a Mac-like approach and force one way to do thing?

"Cohesion", "intuition" - these are dangerous words that are code for "repeating the same bad ideas I was used to for the last 25 years". You intuitively know how to eat, breathe and shit. Everything else is learned. Your whole life is not "cohesive", and the individual requirements of things mean that different tools are presented in different ways. I certainly don't want my computer science tools to look and feel like an accountant's tools. That's "cohesion" I don't need.

What I want from my OS is for it be secure, and at the same time give me control when I ask for it. That's the primary reason I use Linux, for what it's worth. An OS that most Windows users *hate* because it's the complete opposite of Mac - completely unlimited "chaos" by comparison.

The psychology of computing is fascinating. Too controlling is bad. Not controlling enough is bad. It's like Goldilocks and the three computers. (Where Windows is "just right", and yet she steals it).

14. Recharge

Recharge Member

bought a 500gig evo yestereday and installed Enterprise N LTSC ver 17763
    it feels painful navigating when used to seven. :/ and quite a few nit picks, but so far so good being dragged into the current day. :tired:
    and as usual the annoying finding where everything is and putting it back to as close to as was, as possible.

one nice thing, not needing to find drivers.

ahhh I see they STILL don't have the ability to remap bloody mouse buttons.. still. ffs

15. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

There's reports that the 2019-10 Cumulative Update is causing grief, such as blue screens.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ng-and-doesnt-play-well-with-an-intel-vi.html
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/windows-10-blue-screen-of-death-cumulative-update
    https://www.techradar.com/news/wind...reportedly-causes-blue-screen-of-death-issues

Some of the issues are stemming from the update on 32bit W10 breaking legacy applications on, particularly those built on VB3. The computerworld article cites this MS forum thread:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...00dll-to/efdb6817-2af8-4d4b-acc5-7ef745b687c2

16. Recharge

Recharge Member

is there any way to expand the task bar like in ultramon?, not have mirrored taskbars on both monitors, independent ones so that folders or programs on one monitor do not show on the other.

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

In WIN10?
    It is under the section Multiple Displays;
    Right click Taskbar>>Taskbar Settings>>Multiple Displays (On)>>Drop down below that 'Show taskbar buttons on>Taskbar where window is open.

That should isolate most tasks to the focal monitor for that task.

18. power

power Member

W10's handling of multi-monitor is probably one of my favourite features. I ditched ultramon when i switched over.

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Have to agree and it was 'about time' especially as in most productivity/admin environments are using dual screens nowadays.

20. Recharge

Recharge Member

Cool, thank you.

that seems to be the trick.