[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

When windows activates it takes a look at the hardware you're on, generates a hash value that represents that combination of hardware and registers it against your license key. If the value changes too much, generally caused by swapping things like the motherboard, it is no longer considered to be the same computer, and microsoft will no longer automatically activate using that license key. But again that depends on what sort of key it is, retail, oem, something else entirely.. Even at that point you can sometimes call the microsoft activation line and talk them into activating it for you manually, but again, depends on the type of key and the circumstances.

2. Skydome

Skydome Member

I believe mine is OEM so not sure if that'd cause issues with this idea.

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Do it anyway. The worst that'll happen is MS will tell you otherwise and will just inform you to buy a new key.

EvilGenius likes this.
  4. shirl

shirl Member

my laptop has a oem key and it upgraded to 10 from 7 no issues,,my pc was upgraded as well still got win10 no isues

5. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I know there's a few programs around that put a stop to some of the nosey shit in W10, but are there any that auto-start at login, as well as load and enable a saved default config?
    The last time I messed around with it, there was the issue of W10 installed updates and thus resetting the app settings etc

or any other solution to put a permanent end to the 'spying' bs

6. PureFire

PureFire Member

ae00711 likes this.
  7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I have been running DoNotSpy10 after advice and some solid reviews;
    https://pxc-coding.com/donotspy10/

ae00711 likes this.
  8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I did another machine over the weekend, Acer SFF machine from 2012-ish with Windows 7 Pro sticker on it. Clean Windows 10 Pro install, I don't enter the key during install but once it's up and running I go to the activate option and type it in. Once again, zero issues and the machine is very happily running Windows 10.

This program has run for the better part of five years now and I can't see it stopping any time soon. If they were going to kill it, prior to the death of support for Windows 7 would have been the ideal time, but as has been said the more people on Windows 10 the better it is for Microsoft.

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of licences come from machines built by OEMs going to businesses and the retail channel selling new machines. White box sellers are also pretty likely to follow the rules... which leaves the unscrupulous people selling old Windows 7/8 keys as Windows 10 keys and the tech nerds recycling their keys as they upgrade but again I would guess they would be the minority.

9. power

power Member

7 most likely will not install on your new PC.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You can get it on, if you piss around slipping drivers into it.. I still don't know why you would, from a licensing activation viewpoint, it wouldn't achieve anything.

11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Too much effort for personal purpose. You'd have to 1. track every driver for every device and 2. make sure it's W7 compliant.

12. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Just an FYI I got 7 working fine on a Z390 - even the IGPU.

People managed to adapt all the drivers required.

13. ae00711

ae00711 Member

14. Skydome

Skydome Member

my reasoning for doing this is purely a money saving thing.

If I can get win7 on the future new system (Whenever i get rich) than I can just take the anytime upgrade and save myself like 100 odd dollars that i can put towards a better CPU.

15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

As I tried to explain, if the system will activate with 7, it will activate with 10 instead. There are a few reasons why the key might not work, but you're not going to know for sure till you try.

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

yeah I don't think they will close it for quite some time yet. They want everyone on Ten.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oh oh.....:lol: Apple is now outpacing windows pc's.

Apple’s malware problem is getting worse

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/12/21134681/mac-pc-virus-malware-malwarebytes

18. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

19. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Total clickbait bullshit.

The only reason malware detection's seem to have increased is because Apple owners have woken up to the fact that malware is a problem under MacOS and are now actively scanning for it - Half that Malware has probably been on those systems for years.

Anyone that honestly believes the Malware situation under MacOS is worse than the Malware situation under Windows is delusional. Furthermore, where Malware does infect a MacOS based device, it takes ~4 mins to remove as opposed to half an hour or more under Windows, with no damage to the updating system and networking stack as is so common under Windows due to the fact that UAC is useless as a method of privilege escalation.

20. millsy

millsy Member

Mostly because they've been lead to believe that Mac's don't get viruses :)