1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Wasn't Defender for me but I did KB453757 today and on reboot it was as slow as crap for about 3 or 4 minutes. I think it was Net Serivces (from memory) that was bogging the system down.

2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok I'll look into that one. Something is severely bogging my system down and it's only just recently. happens only when Defender is running. I'm on the verge of killing it off.

3. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

All clear here, have used three W10 devices no issues. I should really fire up my bedroom HTPC, that device is probably pending a 20 reboots worth of updates :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've tweaked a few things here and there with Windows Defender and it's happening less regularly now but I think still happening.

Ok I just checked updates.....could this be the fix? :lol:

5. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

8. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

It looks like it. I mistakenly misunderstood it to be the the Edge browser that came with the OS.

Edit: Just installed it and migrated all my Chrome objects: bookmarks, passwords, etc. I'm committed to transitioning away. Will update provide feedback. This has prompted me to clean up my book marks, which I thought I did but all good, easy enough to do. Apart from the mandatory plugins (and thanks for that FB clean up one, very cool!), what do other people recommend doing that are minimal to perform but big benefit?

Do people also use a password manager that's cross platform? I have a local install of mSecure, the very old version, on my iPhone. I was wondering whether it was worth transitioning to someting like Norpass, Lastpass, etc.

Edit: A full night of work and lots of browsing after having everything set up. Man, I must admit, this does feel good!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  9. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Yep, I'm quite liking Chromium Edge. It feels solid. My only gripe at the moment is different websites are now loading by "default" at various levels of magnification. Even though the browser says 100%, some sites look like they're at 80-90%, so I'm having to increase to 110-120% or so to view at its "natural" viewing size. Somehow for some sites the smaller magnification is making them easier to view.

10. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Something's wrong with me. I have a Dell XPS 13" with a 4K touch screen and I have my display on CE @ 90% with medium text. I had small text on Chrome. Otherwise, heavily been using it over 24 hours now and so far so good also. It inspired me to tidy up my bookmarks.

I'm about to start using Collections. Basically have Social/Business/Study/Entertainment. I'll search and try to find other cool tweaks.

11. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

A whole week of usage, I'm liking it. It feels polished. It feels like the Edge that it was meant to be, kinda like how Windows 7 was what Vista was meant to be :lol:
    For me, this Edge feels better and less stocky than Firefox.

ChinoPD likes this.
  12. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I'm pretty sold myself. Just removed the browser from the business laptop. Best way I can see myself transferring my data/session is to log in using a Microsoft account so that when I install it on the rest of the Windows machines in the house (3 more), I don't have to set them up each one individually. Just as I did with when I was using Chrome. Performance is noticeably better, snappy. It shines even more when, like now, I just realized I have had 33 tabs open and runs like I have 10.

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Just a quick update. I enabled sync services using my 50 year old hotmail account. This is after I was happy with how things were configured. I have then uninstalled all Chrome install in the household from all Windows boxes and installed the new Edge browser. Logged into Hotmail and MOST things were set. Some preferences weren't sync'ed across, but they're only minor stuff, ie. dark theme, download location, etc. I also realised that I had been testing on a beta version of New Edge on my business laptop. I installed the non-beta versions of the New Edge and they work and syc'ed fine. I also thought that I had a bug with audio because occasionally I would lose audio on browser. Then I later realised I was accidentally muting the audio, which you can do just by clicking on the audio icon for each tab. Fucking awesome! (The simple things do please me, LOOOOL)

Very happy so far. Would prefer more extensions but at least I have adblock, no show stoppers experienced so far.

14. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

You know you can use gmail etc as well now?

I don't think you have to use hotmail. Haven't needed to for years. Any microsoft account will do and they can be linked to any email.

15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Yeah. I am sticking to hotmail because I have active license purchases of various products through that hotmail account. Office 365 Home. 365 Business Essentials. And records of my Win10 licenses for my PC builds. And it's been useful to go through Micorosoft Support via chat, to be able to refer to and from my hotmail account, to provide context/evidence of licences/accounts that they support.

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Had to reinstall windows after what I suspect KB4541335 done to a rig with a z97 intel chipset. I wasnt aware until I did a fresh install and same BSOD's returned after it came down again. Originally it caused issues and then in trying to rollback caused more issues and totally destroyed the install.

https://www.slashgear.com/windows-1...date-you-might-want-to-skip-for-now-06615586/

Avoid it for now, not sure if its just for older systems.

So annoying you cant bypass optional updates all together like you could on Windows 7, they remain there waiting for someone to click download.

17. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I've had this update installed on my desktop since the 27th and have not exhibited any issue, albeit I'm on a Ryzen build.

walker_2003 likes this.
  18. straiton

straiton Member

also installed on mine since March30, no probs. Z87 system

walker_2003 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

walker_2003 likes this.
  20. Skydome

Skydome Member

ohh guess what win10 lovingly just did to me.

deleted me fucking music folder again. it last did this a few months ago so i thought weird but ok hasn't done it since and now boom, it has done it again.

The folder is kept on desktop just for quick access and best i can see it is ONLY that one folder it targets.

I've heard people say it's an issue with windows defender, with grove music, with wmp metadata but really idk.

I've made an exemption for the new downloads folder on windows defender and i've uninstalled grove music so if it happens again who the fuck knows.

And yeah I ran a malware scan and a scan using windows defender and made a rootkit scan just to make sure and it finds nothing so it's win10 just been fucking weird.