[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I didn't get that or any other prompts. Just straight through back to desktop.

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I was given the option to skip basically everything (I think).
    I should've taken photos/filmed it...

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Doesn’t seem to be anything special.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Ever thought your taste in music is a little too questionable? Windows be doing you a favour.

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lol :p

I'm wondering if it's actually deleted or just hidden....

6. Skydome

Skydome Member

idk it hasn't come back and i haven't found it. it's just weird it'd suddenly disappear.

but i had the music backed up elsewhere it's just freaking annoying really.

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Don't know enough yet about the latest release, will be holding off for now.

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Is it happening to anyone else?

I had a heap of stuff on my desktop.....still all there, including music files.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Good to hear. Before reading this, I blew away all my profiles, re-profiled/calibrated, and everything loaded as expected for me.

10. Skydome

Skydome Member

I did some googling and people suggested it was somehow an issue with windows defender and groove music.

When I put files back to where they were previously i set an exemption for the folder from defender scans and uninstalled groove music.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

All fine for me and 2004. I don't really "stress" Windows all that much these days, so probably won't even notice anything new. Just happy everything is as it was pre-2004 with no issues.

12. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

1909 just dropped on my business laptop. Still 50/50 about 2004, I haven't got enough evidence. Regardless, it hasn't dropped for me yet and I will install when it's available. I haven't done a clean install in a while, but should I need one, my partitions and disks are set up for it already. Simply wipe OS partition I've set and run through set up post format. More than happy to reinstall my apps and games in my library. I don't have many installed. And with the new gigabit connection, the DL speed is fckn insane.

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Only thing I've really noticed going to 2004 is when I do a search in Windows the screen goes to blank apart from the search pane.......why I ask? Why bother doing this?? Just silly pointless stuff.

14. tired

tired Member

Today (since Windows installed some automatic updates a day or so ago) I have had 2 blue screens when waking from sleep. I was using the latest drivers for everything before this started happening on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro v2004. This only started happening since the recent updates were installed. The message is "Attempted to write to readonly memory" and the cause shown is "what failed volsnap.sys".

I don't know which update specifically caused my problem but it only started happening since the updates were installed to my fresh install of v2004. I am going to do some research on the specific updates that were installed to see if others are also having this problem but its obviously very early days. I have never had this kind of problem before where it consistently shows a bsod upon each wake from sleep. Once awake, there are no problems.

[Edit] It's not happening on my other Windows 10 Home machines and rolling back updates on my Windows 10 Pro machine didn't fix it, so I am going to fresh install again and not bugger around with endless problem solving hardware unless a clean slate brings me no joy.

[Edit No. 2] With a clean install and the latest updates, its working without issue. I tried chkdsk, sfc, dism, and had all given me a clean bill of health. The clean install fixed it.

I had installed and shutdown with this pc vs installed and restart on the others, and maybe that played a part (its the only difference in the update process between computers). The drivers and software are consistent between each of my computers (settings too).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  15. Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey Member

After the recent updates (tuesday night?) I had apps freezing twice, starting with one app then others freezing shortly after. Im using the pc for work, so couldnt have it. Tried to do a 'roll back to previous version' and got stuck in a reboot-rollback loop.. couldnt recover. Did a fresh install, things seem ok now. Not real happy!

Cheers

16. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

1909 on my business XPS 13" has been rock solid, been doing work on it heavily. 1903 came through my main battle station, will be testing that out tomorrow or tonight. Seems ok so far for general desktop usage though. Waiting for whatever updates MS decide to go through my main bedroom HTPC and my lounge room HTPC. No issues so far.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sleep/hibernation/all that crap has always been buggy for me with windows. I turn them off at a fresh install for that very reason.

18. mareke

mareke Member

Both of my computers which have Windows 10 installed now take forever to reach the log on screen. My laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installed doesn't have the problem. Yesterday I upgraded my backup computer from Windows 7 to 10 for free and this morning it took ages for the log on page to appear the same as my main computer. My main computer started doing it after the KB4556799 update so I uninstalled it & it was good for a few boots but now it's back to hanging for a long time before the log on screen appears. It would be a pain to have to do a clean install to try to fix the problem so I start my computer and do other things while waiting for the log on page to appear.

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

One of my desktops had that issue with one of the major updates 18 months ago. I was too lazy to do a complete reinstall too so I just did a "reset keeping personal files" from the Recovery section of Updates and Security. It didn't fix the entire issue and the wait was still something like 45 secs to a minute, but considering the wait before that was well over 2 mins I considered it an improvement.

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

3/3 home gaming systems to updated to 2004. Zero issues.

Somewhat mystified by the constant dramas people have with Win10. I thought you PC Master Race / Windows lovers were good at computers. This console baby / Linux hippie has zero issues.

ChinoPD likes this.