1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. philquad

philquad Member

i just gunned it & hit the yes to all on the debloater, felt lucky after i just did the 2004 update, i have faith in you guys, praise be the ocau team

2. mareke

mareke Member

I agree. I resent PDF files being opened in Edge by default and not being able to pick my default internet browser. I prefer to use certain applications to do things & I should be able to choose them as my defaults for those things. The arrogance Microsoft has displayed will result in a lot more resentment towards them.

3. philquad

philquad Member

why cant you pick a different browser? i can, & adobe for pdf

4. mareke

mareke Member

I can still use my preferred browser Firefox but I can't set it as default. To open a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat I had to right click on the file & choose Acrobat Reader from various applications otherwise it opened with Edge. When I chose Adobe Acrobat to open the PDF file Acrobat would ask if I wanted to set it as default for PDF files & if I chose yes this had no effect because Microsoft wouldn't allow it.The 2004 update was responsible. I've reverted my backup computer to an Acronis image made before the 2004 update and now I see the familiar Acrobat icons for PDF files & Acrobat is again the default. Eventually the 2004 update will be forced on me & I'll use the 'Stop resetting my apps' program again so I can choose my default applications.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  5. philquad

philquad Member

yea seems strange, i just updated to 2004, it didnt change my defaults, just now i reset to ms defaults, made edge default for net & pdf, then i picked fox as default in settings, & adobe via a file properties, & its ok.

Capture.JPG

6. mareke

mareke Member

I have no idea why mine is different to yours but it was definitely the 2004 update that did it. My Windows 10 isn't a clean install. I installed it over Windows 7 Pro and I've had issues with Windows taking 10 minutes or more to display the log in screen. The updates have unpredictable effects.

7. philquad

philquad Member

i see the 2004 iso is ready off the ms site (makes sense) maybe your better off getting that & clean install, i never run upgrades, been time burnt too many times now. outa see this stupid face ache site i joined, just 1 after another post of failing windows problems, i should post some replies, its a crackup, wait,

lol1.JPG

lol2.JPG

8. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Normally that's the case, yes. But MS doesn't allow just any application to take over. It will, for example block SumatraPDF from taking pdf associations, which is bizarre.
    And it often resets associations after those stupid updates.
    You have to use Stop Resetting My Apps just to allow regular apps from taking over associations, and prevent MS from stealing associations back.

philquad likes this.
  9. kogi

kogi Member

Used an ebay key to activate and it's showing up as "Windows 10 Enterprise"

Do Enterprise editions time out? I thought enterprise was a yearly subscription thing.

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Enterprise editions are volume-licensed. What was the sale advertised as? What does your receipt say?

11. kogi

kogi Member

just another dodgy ebay sale, advertised as win 10 pro

12. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'd suggest reporting the sale to MS, because given it'd be volume license, once the account has been pulled, your key will deactivate. They may give you a "free" Pro key in exchange.

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Did you pay with paypal? get your money back. At least you should have received a pro key.

14. kogi

kogi Member

Seller already kicked off ebay. I can't be arsed crying over 5 bucks.
    So I guess my post is more of a warning to others

15. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

You got it for only $5? wow, yeah don't bother disputing it. Given the price, and that they've been removed, it's almost certain they sold you a volume license key that could be deactivated at any moment.

Maybe still make contact with MS to see if they can give you a proper Pro key... or just go buy another one, given you spent peanuts on it.

16. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

LOL as if that's going to happen.

kogi and MR CHILLED like this.
  17. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Buy an old machine with an win7 license that hasn't been upgraded to Win10. Use that key. They allow that, so long as the key hasn't already been used to upgrade.
    Or you can find a boxed retail copy of win7/win8 somewhere and do the same thing.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    CAPT-Irrelevant likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oh is that all it cost, so yeah meh. The scam will be probably to try and see how many $5 he could get out of people before fleabay kick him off.

19. philquad

philquad Member

20. philquad

philquad Member

metamorphosis will this latest 2004 update upgrade from say 1903 without screwing the programs?
    i guess yes considering i did mine yesterday :tongue: but mine was 1909 - same deal ?