[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah that's the only reason I fire up winrar - probably like once every 2 years hah

2. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Working fine on 3 systems here with 2004.

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

The $10 RRP seems reasonable regardless.

But yeah... Just go 7zip.

Thinking about it further, it could just be a matter of time before the developers of both WinZip and WinRAR both make a copyright complaint claim on that name, especially since he's profiting on their names.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I suspect Windows Photos failing is due to some reg hack I’ve pulled off that disables Windows X fancy guff that I don’t use and don’t want to ever use, such as cortarbanana. That said, searching on this error tells me hundreds more users also have it too, so I do wonder what gives...

Hotrod2go likes this.
  5. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Yes, for that app to work staying within the windows ecosystem running on default just proved itself. Cortna don't bother me on any of those systems, just say no to it when setting it up.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Agreed. Zip/rar are positivity ancient, and their compression ratios are terrible.

Even 7z is getting long in the tooth, and is now being beaten in both compression and speed by zstd ("ZStandard") thanks to its combination of LZ based compression and far better entropy gathering. I'm hoping the Windows 7-Zip application offers it soon, as well as brings the multi threading support that's arrived in the parent xz project.

By comparison, zstd will give zip level compression at somewhere between 3 and 10 times the speed on a single thread. More for multi threaded. Unless you have highly constrained legacy requirements, using zip in 2020 is like using a fax machine.

[edit] I see parts of the Linux kernel/boot now can use zstd. The engineer who developed it noted that for the same compression rate, changing from xz (same compression rates as 7zip) to zstd yielded a compression speedup from 12 seconds to 3 seconds, and decompression shaved 2 seconds off. zip/gzip is long dead now.

Looks like the Windows 7-Zip GUI also has support for zstd now:
    https://mcmilk.de/projects/7-Zip-zstd/

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  7. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

I thought it was only my Win10 PC that can't open a basic small image..

I'm going to rebuild Win10 anyway rather than try to fix it as it's a little sluggish

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I know a number of people will be jumping up and down in triumph with this announcement :lol:

Microsoft Is Finally Purging Flash From Windows

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/10/microsoft-is-finally-purging-flash-from-windows/

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

It honestly boggles my mind. How could a photo viewing app fail to do the one task that it’s been designed for, on many, many user accounts. And that as a work around, I’ve hacked the original photo viewer that shipped with Windows 7 back into action.

It’s not the bug that grinds me so much, but rather Microsoft’s inability to address them and fix them that is of concern.

10. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

No money to be made from a free photo viewer lol

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  11. mareke

mareke Member

I've had no issues with photo viewer in Windows 10 so it must only affect some computers. I much prefer ACDSee 19 for viewing photos. I got it a long time ago & it still works well and has features that Windows photo viewer doesn't.

12. Will S

Will S Member

2020-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4580364)

Optional Quality Update Available

what is it?

13. wraith666

wraith666 Member

14. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Normally I'd right click windows icon and hit Search to obviously search windows for something.....not sure wtf is going on but now I do this no search comes up, nothing happens. What the!??

15. callan

callan Member

I gave up on Windows search years ago. It seemed perpetually broken.

Everything is the way to go. You're welcome.

16. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I use openshell with it's built-in search for programs, Agent ransack for searching filesystem. Agree W-Search is broke. It'd be funny if people didn't rely on it.
    Personally I think the concept of a search engine which searchs both the filesystem, start menu And the web is a bit stupid/extreme.

ThE_BiG_O likes this.
  17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

My window search still works OK... most of the time I just do a wildcard search *.ext and then manually sift through items to find what I'm after.

I've been using an app called XYPlorer the past few days to sift through and delete tonnes of duplicate files too, it has a bunch of search features that you might be interested in.

18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Windows search isn't the best but there's really only a few things I search for, and they come up first time, so it's handy in that way.

I really have no idea why it would suddenly break like this. I guess software hey! It could have been something I've done I guess. Just seems stupid that all of a sudden the search dialog box won't show at all :confused:

19. JamSarJos

JamSarJos Member

20. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Hope they come up with a consistent naming scheme someday, and actually stick to it.
    Anniversary edition, 1909, 2004, 20H2...