[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've always loved windows as a whole, especially windows 10. I have some niggles every now and again but overall I've always been very happy with it. Admittedly I did skip every second OS, which do happen to have been the dodgy ones :leet:

This latest issue with Search is probably the biggest problem I've had for a very long time, and apart from doing a completely fresh install I think I'm stuck with it...../sigh

2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

This I can agree with.

I run Linux, Windows 10 and Mac desktops here and MacOS is by no means without it's flaws. Worse still, when you have an issue, Apple simply aren't interested. The funniest thing was when I was working on a client's MacBook and I noticed their WiFi speeds sucked, like really sucked. Thinking it was an issue limited to the client's Mac I pulled out my own MacBook and did a WiFi speed test and my speeds were every bit as bad.

However I was running Bootcamp (something broken on newer Macs based on experience). Booted into Windows, ran the same WiFi speedtest and the damn thing flew! Good job on the drivers Apple. :rolleyes:

metamorphosis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Fixed it! For anyone who might have the issue, I found that SearchUI.exe was not running and actually can't even be found on my windows folder, so reinstalled Cortana packages and search is back! No idea how it got corrupted but happy it's back.

4. schnappy

schnappy Member

I haven't used Windows as a daily driver in yonks, just disposable or single-use type installs so am not up to date with AV wants or needs. I am setting up a new computer for someone who I expect gets a lot of forwards from grandma etc. so I think it might be appropriate. I use to just use Microsoft Security Essentials on Win 7.

Can anyone make a suggestion for Windows 10 Pro today?

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Windows 10 comes with "Windows Defender" built in - Its what Microsoft Security Essentials turned into - If MSE met your needs on Win7, Defender should do so on Win10

6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

When I had AV software I was comfortable with Avast.

7. millsy

millsy Member

Windows defender is fine for your average person, use the money you saved to buy an external hdd to backup your important data

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Who pays for AV software?

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I ditched Avast years ago when I realised it was killing compile times for my code, even after create exceptions and configuring it with allowances.

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I ditched it when they made account registration mandatory for the FREE edition.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Fair enough. I ditched AV software quite a while ago as I felt I don't do any dodgy stuff, don't visit dodgy websites and feel in control of email and the system in general. So felt there was really no need for it for me. But I've always put av software on for family who aren't so IT savvy.

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Anyone had any dramas switching a computer out of S Mode? Is it as easy as MS claim?
    Looking at a real cheap laptop so kidlet doesn't have to take her good one too school and most of the cheap ones appear to have S mode turned on when purchased.

13. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Super easy you just need a Microsoft account to log into to complete.

If you do have issues go and manually update the microsoft store restart computer and try again.

14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Can you do it without a MS Account?

15. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Nope - Well kind of maybe and only some machines and it means doing some secure boot stuff in bios first - but easy answer nope.

A microsoft account is free - you can tell computer not to use the account again - just go into user accounts and delete it after- You dont have to save the account to that machine just log in to do the conversion.

Also should have mention once its up and running connect to internet go to activation and click the box to take it out of S mode

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Okay thanks.

17. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

18. nope

nope Member

Keep getting errors when trying to install/run horizon 3 4 or fm7 or other apps randomly
    Reset everything running the top two commands and rebooting
    https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-windows-store-windows-10-uninstall-with-powershell/
    Whats the go with windows store being a huge pile of SHIT? 20H2 build
    Code: 0x80070005 is what i keep getting especially on forza
    fore some reason aoe3de is installing?
    then i get this when trying to launch any games reguardless if their on the game pass or i own them
    xxxx is currently not available in your account. Make sure you are signed in to the Store and try again. Here’s the error code, in case you need it: 0x803F8001

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  19. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

With 20H2 I've noticed it's not doing it for the web browser, but for changing default application for individual file types, it's started doing the creepy-stalker-ex thing of "are you sure you want to change from Edge? It's really good honest bro" thing.

20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i downloaded a pdf file (legitimate pdf file) which is 15 pages long. However, random pages throughout the file are blank when I view them in browser AND in Foxit. If i view them in Edge, they load fine

any ideas what would be causing this? the file is all text (is a text book, very minimal graphics)