[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I don't know if greenshot can do this or not but I plan to find out, and if not I'll be having a hard look at switching I think. There's been a few times where that feature would have been awesome.

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

ShareX, although free, is a pain in the arse to configure, the UI is jumbled to buggery, but give a yell if you get stuck as I've figured out a bunch of it to get it working.

randomman and EvilGenius like this.
  3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

As with all tools, it's about how often you use the thing. Snippy is more than powerful enough for my needs, which are semi regular, but really basic. Being able to grab a section then paste it into a document (or forum) as a static image is all I ever need. Having a tool running for that isn't really worth it even if I have more than enough processing power for it not to matter.

For me though, I have for a long time used a clipboard manager (Comfort Clipboard Pro) which I paid for and use daily on both my work and personal computer. Being able to use different shortcut keys for pasting as plain text or pasting as keystrokes are invaluable to me as I work and has very much crept into my muscle memory at home too.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  4. power

power Member

i will always use what's in the OS already given the chance over adding more crapware to my install (unless it's a browser). snipping tool has been used by me extensively since it's intro in Vista and it shits me that anything that's good MS seem to feel the need to fuck with for no net gains.

5. Zee

Zee Member

This seems to be a thing for everyone, not just MS. Recently bought an iPhone SE (2020), and it's impossible to manually activate the flash light whilst in the video part of the camera. Fording the flash on for photos has become like a 3 step process - it used to be so easy. Never did understand why these companies feel the need to fuck with the simplest things.

Much like you, I refrain from adding stuff that I don't need to, and Snippy has been pretty awesome so far... Just as well I have disabled auto updates for my windows machines.

Z...

6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Exactly, that's all I need, a basic tool and one I don't have to install as extra software. It's already there, available at a push button notice, and is easy to use. I don't need extra software I don't need to shave 0.1seconds off the task.

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Does that offer much functionality over Windows Key + V? I'm getting more and more use out of the Windows Paste history list - it's hard to break the CTRL + V habit however.

8. philquad

philquad Member

[https://i.imgur.com/Lda1PJY.png]

i love it, where have i been, you can copy & it auto uploads, no more saving, save as, find a spot, upload it, link it, how do i get the link to show but ?

nevermind :lol:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yah, it's a game changer - just wish the UI was easier for the initial config, but once you've set it up it's the best. I use ShareX for work, for play, and even for my gamedev. I think the only other app that sees that much action across my broad use of computers would be Notepad++

10. Kung_F00L

Kung_F00L Member

Anyone know how to stop windows 10 update from constantly changing my default sound devices?

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I wish! Drives me nuts as I have two monitors which are capable of sound and it seems to swap when it wants sometimes.

12. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

MR CHILLED likes this.
  13. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I've got the same thing bound to a macro key on my G915. Works well, sorta.

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

60% of the time it works every time :lol:

Dilbery likes this.
  15. power

power Member

this bug needs to die.

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You know computers are quite organic at times, sometimes they are predictable, sometimes you almost think they are human :p

17. lxboston

lxboston Member

I’ve found monosnap good for more complicated screen snips where I want to mark it up with text and arrows. Might give sharex and clipboard manager a go sounds interesting, this could help with productivity - I find myself so often pasting things into notepad as a clipboard backup these days

Anyone else using the Ransomware protection function in defender? It’s good because you can approve certain apps to make changes, and block the rest. Most apps still work with system changes blocked anyway.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I have a new trick for ShareX too which allows me to do an Audio Grab of the PC sound-output. By default, I press F8 to record an 8 second audio grab, or shift-F8 for infinity long recording until I stop the recording. It's such a cool free app. The mark-up editor in ShareX is more or less complete with features too, so will be good to hear of your comparison between monosnap and ShareX - I personally haven't used or heard of monosnap.

Tinkered with the Ransomware protection just now, will see if it's more of a pain than a protection. I suppose at the end of the day, if it's not backed up and sitting on a shelf in a secure location (and safe from fire), it's not backed up.

19. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Is Bitwarden still a good password manager or is there a better one for personal use?

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Are you looking at cloud storage for your password file or happy with just manually managed offline storage?