[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. coolroy

coolroy Member

It would appear i am stuck....with win 10 pro in mbr format.

At some stage i must have cloned my windows to a single partition drive.

As such windows boots fine but any third party software i try cant seem to detect as os on the drive for reinstall to another dissimilar drive (GPT format) but can only do basically a clone image which then means i get a disk copy back as mbr format , not gpt as i am trying to achieve.

Is it possible that Kaspersky or some other software is the cause??? Im stumped...help.....:confused:

2. power

power Member

why not just blow it away and start clean?

coolroy, Ck21 and Dilbery like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've had this situation before, I tried many solutions and the only one that worked was a reinstall in the end : (

coolroy likes this.
  4. coolroy

coolroy Member

Yep dam a reinstall ended up being the only way.:eek:

First new windows install for years..:lol:

Took all bloody day plus i forgot to export all the email i had...duh.

All this just to try out that new resizable bar thingy.:eek:

Not noticing anything snapier than before but then again the evo pro 970 isnt a slow boot device to start with.

A quick 3dmark time spy run at default video card clocks appears to be similar to my overclocked video card runs, so maybe when i reinstall msi afterburner and re tweek the gpu it might show some improvement.

A good way to waste a week before biting the bullet on a clean install, & they say we get wiser with age....:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  5. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

I know it's too late now but it can be done with the free version of Macrium Reflect.

1. Take a backup image or clone of your existing Windows install.

2. Reformat your drive and re-install Windows 10 using GPT/UEFI booting (this is to create the correct partition structure)
    You could in theory just use the Windows installer to create the partitions and then go to the next step.

3. Boot into the Macrium Reflect recovery environment off USB in UEFI mode and restore just your original Windows partition over the new one you just installed.
    Only replace the Windows partition. Leave all the small EFI partitions in place.

4. Disconnect your cloned drive or image file. Run the "Fix Windows boot issues" feature in the software and let it repair the Windows Boot Manager.

5. Reboot into your old Windows install.

I've done it many times and it works a treat.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry to break your heart.

BurningFeetMan, coolroy and Ck21 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Anyone getting this little bug......ocassionally I'll get small icons in the taskbar....

icons.JPG

Then in a few minutes time, or after doing a couple of things it will fix itself...

upload_2021-5-8_15-38-45.png

been happening probably for the last 6 months maybe.

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Recently did a clean install of Win 10 on my laptop, and installed Firefox. At random times, when i try and browse Firefox, nothing will load (go to whatever page, and the icon will just spin and spin, left it there for 10mins once). I have also tried loading Firefox in safe/troubleshooting mode, and it's the same (nothing will load). Chrome is fine, and same with Edge. The only way I found that will fix it, is to reboot my laptop.

I've tried rolling back to previous versions of Firefox, and it's the same. Prior to doing the clean install, it was working fine (same version)

Any ideas?!?

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I run FF on many systems but haven’t seen this bug. GPU drivers up to date on the formatted lappy?

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

yeah all drivers are up to date. I’m thinking that I need to do another clean install.. god

10. power

power Member

no pending windows updates?

what version/build of W10?

Have you also tried a new profile?

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

so yesterday on a random google search trying to find the issue, came across a post from 2017 of someone that had a similar issue. Seems like the AV (I’m using bit defender) was blocking it for some reason and killing that process, seemed to work. Waiting to see when I get the issue again to check if that is the cause

12. power

power Member

remind me again about how useful third party av is again. :(

Dilbery likes this.
  13. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Do a full chkdsk /f /r of hard drive (assuming not SSD - if SSD, only /f), then check with hddscan for smart errors.
    Would be my first port of call.

Also sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    Sometimes those two actually do find something and fix it - I know, right?

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  14. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Can't remember if I've posted this before, but does anyone else find the Win10 install process pretty weird?

[​IMG]

15. power

power Member

you forgot completely shit itself at the end of the W10 one.

oh and ask you to subscribe to things.

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Somehow it doesn't feel that long winded by quite honestly I haven't done a fresh install on my main rig for some time. But you forgot the "Inaccessible boot device error" step in there :p

metamorphosis likes this.
  17. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Then there's the case where you install Windows 10 Home in offline mode so you can have a local..I mean...'Limited account' as opposed to the forced Microsoft account if you're connected to the internet on install.

Once the OS is installed and your desired local apparently limited account is set up, suddenly, at random, Microsoft take it upon themselves to just stuff a requester on the screen asking you to revert to a Microsoft account and you can't simply say no and decline, the only option is "Remind me in three days".

Who's PC is it again?

As someone that installs Windows 10 almost daily, there is no exaggeration whatsoever in that post. Furthermore the account creation section of the Windows 10 installer is downloaded live while installing, so Microsoft can add more bloat and lock ins to the installer on the fly.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  18. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Also the fact that if you disconnect your internet so that the option to install a local account is shown, the installer will reboot, return to the same screen to ask you a second time, in what is surely getting close to their 'Close button means consent' win10 upgrade tactics in terms of ethics.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  19. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Totally. It's bullshit and I vote with my wallet.

MS can stick their OS.

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's actually what I was wondering. My install now would have to be 7 years old at least. I'm loathed to do any new install because I just have no much bespoke network shit set up it would take me weeks to get everything back in order I reckon. If you're not noticing any real improvements then I'll just stick with it. I have been recently thinking about doing a complete refresh.