1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. philquad

philquad Member

pezzy likes this.
  2. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Just getting used to the new build. I don't mind everything except the tabs. They're not tabs. They're not joined to the page. They're non-skeuomorphic nonsense-buttons.

3. PureFire

PureFire Member

4. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

First thing I did after the reboot was turn that stupid fucking news thing off, but I haven't had any issues installing it on multiple machines so far.

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks for the headsup, I'm just about to update regardless, so fingers crossed I don't get a borked task bar.

If anyone like me doesn't know what the optional "Quality update" (KB5004476) is....here's some info: https://wccftech.com/emergency-windows-10-update-kb5004476-fixes-xbox-game-pass-issue-0x80073d26/

EDIT: all good, update seems fine for me

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  6. PureFire

PureFire Member

I decided to check something on a hunch. I installed the update once again and when the taskbar was usable I then uninstalled Edge, rebooted, and now I have no issues and no event viewer log errors.

I never use Edge but if I have trouble with an update in the future I will just install Edge and then probably uninstall it after the update. lol

7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Quick question, hoping that someone has come across this and might know the fix.....I have a usb thumb drive always plugged in and it used to auto detect when I would boot up my pc, for the last few months now I have to unplug the usb drive then plug it back in for it to be recognised by Windows 10.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue?

I think it's as a result of the following which I see in device manager......but I have no idea what USB device this is. Motherboard usb drivers installed. Motherboard is an Asus Rog Strix 490-E Gaming, with NZXT cooler and lighting, and Phanteks Evolv X case with lighting. I'm wondering if it could be related to a hub not installed properly or something? I've tried uninstalling the two failed devices listed in device manager, windows can't find a driver when it tries to add them again.

Capture.JPG

upload_2021-6-13_17-53-32.png

EDIT: Ok worked it out.....well I've now got one Unknown USB device removed.....the USB thumb drive is probably dodgy, as I tried a few more and they were fine. I'm guessing there is another dodgy usb device still plugged in which is the other still remaining error.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Yes, the latest polyp on the scintillating cancer that is what the 'taskbar' became. It's just a shitfest now. Nobody has any idea how to structure a UI anymore. Almost makes me want to get off my ass and start shooting the UI criticism videos I keep meaning to do...

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

It's not like M$ suddenly lost the previous decades of UI development experience and user feedback that is a large portion of their stock-in-trade.
    Their priorities just shifted very rapidly the moment they saw what Apple and Google were doing in terms of monetising their userbase via OS-as-a-service and 'anonymised' usage tracking.
    And so... Windows 8 (lawl) and now Windows 10. PC operating systems with a confusing built-in-for-all-the-things Touch UI functionality trend, and an App Store (I've never used it once), and references to Xbox all over the gaming stuff (never owned an Xbox), and full integration with all your productivity app subscriptions (AHAHAHAHA, open source forever), and plenty of references to The Cloud, and opportunities for moar clicks/add-on sales just haphazardly jammed in everywhere.

It was always inevitable I guess, but I still like to imagine that there was just one person beavering away in OS Product Development who went to a meeting one day and said "hey guys... why aren't we really looking hard at an OS-as-a-service model for the new big release?"... and some day we will discover that person's name, and where they live, and what type of spider they most fear, and then we will all have our long awaited retribution.

Edit: I fully agree with your point about failures regarding UI structure though, at least Apple (and to a much lesser extent, Google) do a fairly elegant job of exploiting the monetisation opportunities in their products. Everything Microsoft does in this regard just seems really obvious and heavy-handed and gross. Like constantly and repeatedly pushing you towards using edge, for the stupidly obvious reason that they REALLY want your browser history, while dressing it up with layperson-friendly salespeak like "built for Windows" and "best for Windows".

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    metamorphosis likes this.
  10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Need to do a multi boot with 2 x win 7 and 1 x windows 10. Should be okay yeah? Never had to do it. Thinking install the 7s first then 10.

11. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I don't think Microsoft have known what's best of windows for at least a decade :)

... I am partially appalled, and partially intrigued. The rest of me wants to go to bed, jsut thinking about it.

BlueRaven and walker_2003 like this.
  12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I ended up talking them out of it thank god.. though it would have been an interesting one for sure.

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

All sorted now. Seems like in the end it was two dodgy usb devices, however both devices seem to work fine so don't know why Windows would be having an issue with them. And having an issue with them all of a sudden, they've been plugged into the system and working perfectly for ages, then all of a sudden they both decide to act up at the same time? Hmmm, yeah something fishy going on there with windows I think.

14. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

15. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Been having a weird issue with Windows 10 on 2 seperate systems. Whenever I plug an external drive into a USB port I have to manually assign a drive letter each time (no matter what the enclosure / drive is) & then delete the registry entry of that key to remove it from 'My Computer / This PC'. Hopefully this isn't just me

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

OCAUs default windows advice is to reload the OS... So err, start there :Pirate:

17. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

One of the system is a fresh installation & the other one is 3 months old with nearly nothing on it.

mesaoz likes this.
  18. Recharge

Recharge Member

which external drives? brands? model numbers?
    which build did you use for your last build? a fresh iso from m$? or an old one updated through winblows updates?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  19. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Genuine question: why not make your own UI? There are plenty of tools and whole OSes that enable this.

Rather than shooting criticism videos, leading by example could be a huge boost for users who don't have your technical skill. And if your designs offer merit, it would motivate others to join you in further development.

flu!d likes this.
  20. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Samsung / Crucial / Kingston SSD's ranging from 120 - 240GB (Crucial BX500 / Samsung 840 EVO / Kingston A400, etc

The enclosures are some generic branded ones (eBay), Silverstone, NextStar & Orico with standard USB 3 & USB C (3.2)

Build Version 21H1 (19043.1110). Fresh install was an ISO from the Windows Media Creation Tool. Other system was from a Windows 10 Build 20H2 (October 2020) that has been updated to the latest version.