1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mareke

mareke Member

On booting up my main computer this morning it wouldn't accept my Windows logon password. I'm not sure why. It wanted my Microsoft account password which is different to the Windows logon password. The other option it gave me was that I could create a pin number logon password. I knew my Microsoft account password so I booted into Windows and tried to get my old Windows logon password back by logging into my Microsoft account. When I tried to change the Windows logon password back to my old familiar one it said the password I entered was an old one and I needed to create a new one! I've got three desktop computers and didn't want my main computer to have a different Windows logon password so I restored an Acronis image made a month ago. Thank God for Acronis True Image!

2. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

That's because Microsoft tricked you into linking your local account with a Microsoft account, it's manipulative and underhanded.

Now imagine you're an average Mum and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa type and suddenly couldn't log into your device, furthermore you didn't note down the password because you had no idea what Microsoft were manipulating you into doing at the time as they're very vague with words like 'Limited Account' instead of 'Local Account'.

Who's computer is it?

3. mareke

mareke Member

You made a good point. I'm starting to feel that Microsoft is sneakily trying to take more control over my computer; a suspicion that others have voiced as well! A few days ago I found that I could no longer send emails with Windows Live Mail which I've used for many years. No great surprise as Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Live Mail many years ago. It's a wonder it continued to work as long as it did. Windows Live Mail still received emails but wouldn't send them. Uninstalling it and reinstalling it didn't fix it so one of the Windows 10 updates probably broke it. I then noticed that Windows 10 had an email program Outlook.com that I could migrate to that was similar to Live Mail and allowed me to keep my email address. The problem was that my emails would then be stored in the cloud in my Microsoft account and I wasn't having that. I wound up switching to Outlook in Microsoft Office so my emails stayed stored in my computer. I bought my Microsoft Office outright. I refuse to pay a yearly subscription and would stop using Office unless I could purchase it outright.

I also think I may understand why my normal Windows logon password stopped working. After uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Live Mail to see if I could get it to work again I was required to log in to my Microsoft account before Windows Live Mail would work. As part of logging in to my account I was asked to enter not just my Microsoft account password but also my Windows log on password. Unbeknown to me my Windows log on password was then replaced by my Microsoft account log in password. When I realised this I wasn't having it. I was then offered the choice of creating a new password or using an alternative method of logging in using a pin number. Anyone smart enough to work out that their Microsoft account logon password was now also their Windows log on password might have accepted it. Many people would have opted to use the alternative method of logging in switching to a pin number instead of a password. I wanted my old password back so I restored an Acronis Image. Thank God for Acronis and me being reasonably computer savvy!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  4. flu!d

Windows Live Mail is a buggy mess, it never worked 100%. I'm surprised you had it working at all TBH.

5. mareke

mareke Member

I liked the simplicity of it. I probably used it for 20 years. Outlook is much more complex with a large number of settings you can configure. It doesn't look as nice to me. At least Mailwasher Pro works with Outlook like it did with Live Mail so I can continue to blacklist and delete the many emails I get offering ways to get rich by buying crypto currencies, women who send emails saying they'll 'suck me so hard' and sending me virtual winks, emails titled 'Do girls squirt?', emails saying I need to pay $1.99 to release a parcel at Australia Post, emails saying I need to pay or my TPG account will be frozen etc. I have no idea who sends this shit.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  6. flu!d

I use Thunderbird for everything, Windows, MacOS and Linux.

It's literally the only client that correctly picks up auto config settings, it even handles Exchange with the Owl for Exchange addon.

7. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Not sure if this has been posted before but thought I might add this to help others who have this issue.
    Wanted to upgrade drivers for my 5700 XT gpu from 21.3.1 to the latest WHQL driver 21.6.1 on x570 platform. After following the usual procedure when upgrading drivers I got that QR code error message BSOD thing when moving the mouse after the win 10 desktop fully loaded.
    Thinking are my chipset drivers up to date, I checked them & proceeded to update accordingly thanks to system restore!
    Then repeated the update process again.
    Behold, another QR error code BSOD situation & a message about "RyzenUtiltyMaster.sys" causing the problem.
    This pissed me off no end of course considering I've never had this problem before with upgrading drivers for the gpu on this rig...
    Anyway, in the end I found the only way around it was to re-install windows from scratch. Fixed the whole problem finally & 21.6.1 drivers are stable as.
    Seems like the windows 10 updates at some point have mucked up somewhere on x570 platform.

8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Giving new LTSC a try. Might still do a fresh install dependent on how it runs. I put an old Enterprise version on a few days ago for BF2042, over the top on my 2018 vintage LTSC that I went a bit overboard on the offline optimisation removals with so it might be too messy to avoid the full clean out later.

Edit. Yah. Fresh install coming. Lol. Should have just done it off the bat.

Much better. As usual I always forget to sort out the thing that lets me see my NAS and then I forget my NAS password for a second but we got there in the end.

Christ there's a lot of bloat and stupid shit to fix.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  9. mareke

mareke Member

Good article about the problems and options people will face when Windows 10 support ends in 2025. People will have the following options.

• Continue running the unsupported operating system and hope for the best
    • Retire or dispose of the unsupported hardware
    • Install a non-Microsoft operating system, such as Linux
    • Ignore Microsoft's warnings and upgrade to Windows 11 anyway

Retiring and disposing of unsupported hardware will mean that a great number of perfectly good computers will be thrown away.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-windows-10-is-a-security-disaster-waiting-to-happen/?ftag=TRE5575fdc&bhid={$external_id}&mid={$MESSAGE_ID}&cid={$contact_id}&eh={$CF_emailHash}

10. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

Only if you're too stupid to look up alternative methods of making things work. I've installed Win7 on "unsupported hardware" and it works fine, and there are already several methods to install Win11 on the same.

I'm unlikely to move to Win11 at this point but to be fair 10 years support for an operating system (Win10 was launched in 2015) is pretty good.

11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Which, lets face it, will be getting fairly long in the tooth by then. Given the performance kicks of the last few generations, 8 year old hardware will be feeling pretty chunky.
    Given the locks Microsoft put on Windows 7/8.1 on 7th gen and above hardware to disable windows updates, I fully expect they'll shoot themselves in the dick soon enough and apply the same crap to Windows 11 - you're on unsupported hardware, no updates for J00!
    Which will make running it or Win10 much of a moot point.

12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Just switch to LTSC which will be supported until 2027 or IOT Enterprise LTSC which has support until 2032.

Although if I'm somehow still on this install I just did of LTSC in 2027 I'd expect an LTSC equivalent on W11 to exist and that by that point if I'm still on my 3080 it might not be properly supported with drivers then or the new GPU or CPU will require W11 anyway.

God I can only imagine the utter bloat and shit that MS have crammed into W11's normal versions. I've spent the better part of today just going through all their garbage and idiotic design decisions and fixing them and this in an already less bloated install.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  13. Recharge

Recharge Member

so out of no where I can not longer connect to network printers or install them 709 error, none of the fixes work. FFS!
    how do they keep breaking this shit?

EDIT after days of trying different offerings on YT and google, finally one that worked.

Reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks ftw. so much frustration! was so close to reinstalling.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  14. nope

nope Member

is there a big difference between having w10 on a ssd sata 3 vs a m2 pcie gen3 or 4 drive?

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That all depends on if you're benchmarking in microseconds or milliseconds. Day to day use, relying on the squishy grey jelly, there's nothing in it - unless your day to day is moving terabytes of data around.

16. randomman

randomman Member

There's also a huge variety in performance just within each of those specifications. But as Aetherone said day to day use you'll hardly notice.

17. nope

nope Member

i load all my games on the m2.s anyway :D

18. Will S

Will S Member

for me the most important thing is one less bloody cable

nope likes this.
  19. nope

nope Member

yeah i have a sata3 ssd as my os and games all on the m2, didnt notice a difference the os being on a m2 anyway.

20. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

So Windows has decided to put silly little green ticks on all my desktop icons. Apprently this is something to do with OneDrive back ups, but I don't have onedrive on the PC.
    How can I get rid of them??