1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Microsoft just have to keep doing what they've been doing for the decades. Produce the Windows desktop. Windows beats seven shades of shit out of Linux and Apple in the home desktop area and will do a loooong time yet. It won't do it forever, so they might as well make hay will the sun shines.

Stop trying to be Apple, stop trying to compete in the tablet arena.

2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I'm actually hoping that Satya Nadella is going to take to company into whole new directions with their products/licensing/eval/technet/activation.

A lot less of this kind of CEO'ing has to be a good thing.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Wow, this really caught me by surprise.

WinSuperSite by it's very name has always been pro-Windows. It's pretty clear the folks who run it love the software (and for the slow of wit, no, they're not zealots, just fans).

Today I see this in my RSS feed:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/what-heck-happening-windows

Some pretty damning comments about Windows 8, and the impact Steven Sinofsky in particular had on Microsoft. It appears as if he was picked to try and be Microsoft's answer to Steve Jobs:

And if their position wasn't clear enough after that:

Again, reminding people of the domain name from where this is quoted: WinSuperSite.com.

They make it pretty obvious they are convinced both Sinofsky and Ballmer didn't leave on their own accord, and were removed due to the failure that was Windows 8. We as the public will never know the truth, but shareholder reaction to both has not been kind.

The final line sums up for me the feelings I've had about Microsoft for quite some time:

I've said for a long time that Microsoft clearly try to be everything to everyone, and end up with an OS that is half-arsed for everyone. There's an old joke that says "a camel is horse designed by committee". This article states quite clearly that Windows is an OS designed by a committee. I'll repeat what I've said before countless times: Microsoft management need to take away some of the red tape, and let the very brilliant people working for them do what they do best: write good software.

If Microsoft stopped trying to be everything for everyone, and instead concentrated on being the best option in their niche, the quality of their products would skyrocket. I just hope their new CEO is aware of what's happening outside of Microsoft, because to date the "not invented here" ideology of every leader that company has had ended up with some sort of long-term negative impact on their products.

4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've always felt over the years that this is correct and largely MS has ignored what their customers actually want. Never really quite been able to understand why that was.

5. dr1fta

dr1fta Member

based on this thread im the only person who likes windows 8 in the entire universe.

Thinking back through the OS' I have used (from 3.1) I do believe that Windows 7 was the easiest to use, although this may have something to do with years of conditioning to the Microsoft way.

Windows 8 has brought about a different way of doing things, most of which i quite like and enjoy using, some not so much (like disabling UAC).

Saying that I do use W8 on a Dell XPS12 which has the touch screen which may or may not skew my view on the OS.

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

As I said in the Win 8 thread, I have given it a go, I have come in with an open mind thinking all the haters were just hating for the sake of hate...

But it is optimized for touchscreen.

I have a $6k+ watercooled, overclocked beast of a machine - but the OS is made for a tablet.

I understand that they were just trying to consolidate so we would use it on our home computers, our laptops and our phones... but it just doesn't work.

And I do not have high hopes for Windows 9.

7. power

power Member

But when Microsoft get it right they really get it right, Windows 7 is a triumph and we can't forget that. The good things from 8 need to be bolted onto 7 and we can have our Windows 9.

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I love a good MS OS, pity they really only come every second iteration.

9. power

power Member

true, but don't forget the good ones last a long time - XP will be something like 13 years old when the pin gets pulled in a couple of months 7 is already 7 years old.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Grain of Salt required to digest that article.

Bloggers in general, and Paul Thrurrott in particular, did not like Sinofsky, and his site Did a complete 180, from Fanboi to Anti-Fanboi at the exact same time Sinofsky stopping feeding bloggers.

Basically, Sinofsky directed MS to stop answering technical questions from bloggers, as a result, all they could blog about was the same press releases that everyone else had already copy/pasta'd. Most bloggers accepted it, Thurrott took it as a personal slight... and has had an axe to grind ever since.

I don't disagree with some of his points, I just think he could have had a bit more integrity while making them. Posting opinion as fact works on the forums... when you are trying to be an impartial journalist... not so much.

11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

MS has a very large number of very brilliant people working for them. They also have a very large number of people whose only job description seems to be being brilliant at taking the first brilliance and fucking it.

I have an Intel x64 based tablet and I still hate Metro.

Wrong way around - under the hood, W8 has some really nice improvements. Need to keep the 8 chassis and put the 7 dashboard on it. Hell, I'd like it if they'd take a leaf out of the XP playbook and do 7 without all the stupid fucking wizards.

No, I don't want my user accounts/firewall/shares all reconfigured everytime I go to a strange LAN. Leave them alone!

12. elvis

The "every second OS" law of Microsoft is not so much a law as it is a result of Microsoft's arrogance.

They release an OS based on what customers want, it works. So then they get big headed, think they are bigger than their customer, fall into the "tell the customer what they want" trap, and get a rude awakening.

Rinse and repeat. Microsoft aren't the only victims of this hubris cycle. I see it every day with other software vendors too.

I saw a cute little sign the other day that said something along the lines of "the most powerful person in a business is not the CEO, but the customer. The customer can sack everyone in an entire company by simply spending their money somewhere else".

Microsoft aren't "too big to fail", but sometimes they think they are.

I didn't know the background story, but quite frankly I don't hold Sinofsky in very high regard either, so I don't blame their dislike for him. Between Sinofsky and Ballmer, Microsoft are stinging from some bad leadership.

Corporate middle management is an unfortunate consequence of modern capitalism.

As much as I'm a die-hard capitalist, I consider it important to critique the concept and weed out the parts that can cause it to fail.

13. power

power Member

See I don't agree with this.

Vista was an example of an OS that many thought was "rubbish" however Vista was essentially Windows 7 in many many ways and much better than XP on good hardware - you could as far as I was concerned blame vendors who chose to ship the OS on machines that were not capable of running it - HP Compaq shipped Vista on machines with 512MB of RAM just to try and fill a market segment, Windows XP runs on 512 but not well and lets not forget 98 ran "better" than XP on launch too as did 95 before it - Windows 7 was one of the only times an OS got "lighter".

ME often held up as "terrible" wasn't as bad as people claimed, it was faster than 98 before it but had issues with the cheap shit VIA platforms of the time - if you ran straight Intel - it was pretty good (not as good as 2k) but fast and good for gamers.

I blame vendors for many many driver issues as well not the OS's underneath. Vendors are lazy and they want to pump out the same shit year on year never updating drivers or firmware (that costs money!) to the point that Vista didn't get supported by many of them who then said "vista is shit" um no your product is half arsed. Then you had this scramble to support 7 by these same vendors when 7 took off like wildfire.

8 though, yeah that one is MS's fault through and through - garbage UI and let's face it it makes a lot of everyday users confused and mad when all they want to do is figure out how to make their new UI do stuff, like you know turn off.

14. elvis

Vista was the public beta for Windows 7 that Microsoft were arrogant enough to consider charging full price for.

I'm certain the entire Windows 8 family will be considered the same in 5 years.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  15. power

power Member

that's like saying Windows XP was a public beta for Windows 7.

both are NT variants.

16. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

+1 a public beta that took until SP2 before business would take it seriously.

17. elvis

No, not the same thing.

For starters, WinXP was an entire major release of NT different, sitting at NT5.1. Vista was a full version bump, at NT6.0. Indeed, Windows 8.1 is "only" NT6.3, a mere minor release version bump by that metric (which is a rubbish metric for anything anyway).

It's blatantly clear that while they're all just version bumps of the WinNT kernel, the user interface changes that went into Vista, the enormous RAM requirements compared to OSes before and after, and the automatic network and UAC bullshit all put it into high-change territory that greatly pissed the end users off. And if we're talking Windows, we are talking end-user experience, not just kernel version bumps.

18. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah gotta say I disagree there Elvis, Vista's major fail was Microsoft heavily understating minimum specifications, and allowing machines with pitiful amounts of ram shipping as 'vista ready' or whatever the hell it was they called it, as well as the abysmal driver support.

As an OS it was stable, ran well and overall generally improved on XP.

As a consumer product it was a flop, because of shit driver support and vendors shipping woefully under specced computers running it.

Good os - yes in my opinion
    Good product - hell no, not with such atrocious driver support and poorly chosen minimum requirements

19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

We've got XP, Vista, 7 and 8 here in the shop.

7 seems to make the most sense, Vista kills any machine running it and is hard to administer and seems to do a lot automatically, which sounds good, but it gets it wrong, a lot.

XP, we only use it for some legacy crap, seems ok.

Windows 8. Well. I don't even know where to start, for a company that seemingly prides itself on keeping compatibility and user experience they've managed to make it soooo different to the previous offerings. It wouldn't be bad if it was 'better' different, but it just isn't. Trying to get anything done on the Windows 8.1 boxes from a vanilla install is excruciating. Having to lookup how to install it without making a flipping MS account? Really? The touch stuff is ok but most people don't use touchscreen on Windows, because, you know, they want to get something done as opposed to being models in culturally balanced stock photos.

You have to turn shit off to make it like Windows, which wouldn't be bad if it wasn't... Windows.

We're having to do all the new windows boxes with 8.1 and I'm absolutely not looking forward to changing the admin lady's computer over. She's experienced with Windows etc. but I think I'll have to learn a lot about 8.1, fast.

I'm all for experiments, new directions and breaking of the status quo etc. but you can't make such radical changes without anyone wanting them and expect people to throw money at you.

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's certainly not a law for me as such....I just actually find this to be the reality for me, and it holds water. I look forward to Win9 when most likely get it right again.