1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Windows 10 Mega thread

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MR CHILLED, Jan 15, 2014.

1. deluxe

deluxe Member

The concept of a unified os for touch/non-touch machines makes sense from a release perspective, provided that you can segregate the UI types. Even apple have not yet done this.

It's telling that people have had to modify win8 to behave nicely on non-touch devices with software like ModernMix.

I for one would like to see the initial prompt on first install or first load to be:

'Would you like to use a touchscreen or desktop interface?'

[] Touchscreen
    [] Desktop​

For advanced users it might even be possible to mix and match compatible features.

Although this would add some complexity to the build process and some interesting problems for their UX people to solve, I feel confident it would prove to be a winner

2. R3ZiN8

R3ZiN8 Member

Windows 8 with the Touch Mouse is a pleasure to use. I am not a fan of the Metro isolation from the rest of the desktop and hope this is fixed in the next version of windows. Ultimately Metro is a complete waste of time because the apps are gimmicks at best.

Sure Vista wasn't very good but that can mainly be attributed to poor third party drives and peoples love of not wanting to change. UAC was needed, but people sure didn't see it that way and actually longed for the XP model of please install anything you like without asking...

As far as I am concerned Windows 8 is super fast, super responsive and it has all the apps you could need because of the windows base. I prefer the new start menu but would also like to see the original still there and slightly tweaked. Lots to improve with Windows 9, but that is Microsoft for you. They could be a killer software company and they often get a lot of key things right, but their execution leaves a lot to be desired it seems. Thats where Apple get it right, a unified vision they actually achieve.

3. power

power Member

Give me W7 over OSX anyday though. Unless you are talking nuts and bolts then OSX has it's advantages, but usability MS wins.

4. R3ZiN8

R3ZiN8 Member

Same here, but I definitely appreciate Apple and their attention to detail in everything they do. The amount of times people say to me in my profession... Why don't you use a Mac? I simply say I can control my Windows installation how I want it.

5. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Macs are nice looking computers, good industrial design. That is more or less the end of the advantages.

6. R3ZiN8

R3ZiN8 Member

The software is virtually idiot proof and its minimalism makes things easy to do. Not what I prefer as a "power user" however, but that doesn't stop me recommending family members and friends to buy macs. They just work.

7. power

power Member

OSX is pretty solid and offers a lot of benefits over Windows.

8. millsy

millsy Member

Haha andyroo with the classic posts.

I had a read through that winsupersite article elvis, I particularly liked what one of the comments said:

I think that sums it up nicely really, I can personally live with the parts of the UI because I find the desktop mode that much nicer, but that's like, my opinion man. Pretty clear most people don't enjoy it.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You don't get much more blatant feedback than people simply not buying your product. And for Microsoft, this is the third time they're facing competition from their own legacy software. That's got to be a huge slap in the face.

When companies like HP and Dell even push back and tell you they're having overwhelming demand for an older version of the product, the message is clear: your current product isn't what the market wants.

Not even Microsoft can disobey the age old law that the customer is always right.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  10. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

I think a lot of the blame for Windows 8 can be laid at Microsoft's sycophantic beta testers being too afraid to tell them the truth.

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You do know that the Beta's for Win8 had a start menu right...

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've never been a Windows beta tester, so I don't know the process. (I've done plenty of beta testing for other companies and products, and know that their responses can vary greatly).

Has anyone on these forums been a beta tester and submitted brutally honest feedback? What was Microsoft's response in that case?

13. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I keep trying to get my mum to buy a Mac!!! Don't get me wrong, I do see the value there. But you've put it better than me, I don't think it is suited to the "Power User" demo.

Please, tell me of these objective benefits, honestly I would very much like to know now more- even if you just want to give me some google words I'll be happy to research the rest on my own.

14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Unfortunately this is entirely wrong. The beta guys (certainly the public beta feedback) utterly panned the forced metro and lack of start menu in their thousands.

Sinofsky's virtual response: suck my left one. You'll get what I say you'll like.

That asshole elitism only works if you're a Jobsian UI&E genius. Not a Sinofsky failed a childs fingerpainting class category.

15. millsy

millsy Member

I still don't get the 'masterpiece' that's OSX, but maybe I'm too ingrained in my Windows/Linux mentality.

I get the 'e' for internet explorer isn't great, but how does a compass signify the net any more either?

I think I'm digressing now though :p

16. power

power Member

most of it is the apple blurbs.

better security out of the box.

backup and restore is much, much simpler (Time Machine is amazing).

keychain access is handy

no registry.

Less vendor/driver issues - Apple pretty much control everything.

- I still don't like it but fully understand the benefits of OSX over Windows. There are many cool things available for technicians as well like target disk mode.

17. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Let's just relax hey. There's three things we all know; Windows is good, Linux is hit and miss and Mac is overrated.

18. power

power Member

Apple machines taken in their entirety - price, hardware, OSX are over-rated.

Honestly I think your average nerd under-appreciates them.

This Apple talk only came into the discussion because someone said Apple always get it right - I think they are wrong, OSX does some fundamental UI things poorly but the nuts and bolts - they slap Windows around a fair bit.

19. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

OSX/iOS do some stuff right, they do some stuff great, but I won't miss an opportunity to have a dig at them :lol:

iOS truly is junk in enterprise environments though.

20. power

power Member

I'm with you on enterprise integration of iOS, I'm currently working with a fleet of iPads and an MDM - first few questions are "why can't we do x?" - "Oh Apple don't allow that".

yay.